Copyright?

@SgtColon the author being dead doesn’t mean the copyright holders are as well :wink: The copyright will be part of the inheritance left by the author if he still holds it at the moment he dies, or can have been sold before. In the last couple of years, several musicians have sold (part of) their catalog (Springsteen, Neil Young, …). This way they effectively sold (part of) the copyright for their work.

1 Like

@roger_holland
Good link man. Cool the way I was able to translate into english so I could read it. Amazing technology.
Thanks.

@Lisa_S is one post that I was thinking of.
I agree with her post too. I won’t bother listening to or trying to play any M Shocked music.
Or any other person or group that don’t want to share their music.

From the posts it seems kinda hit and miss as to who will let you play their music and who won’t. It seems folks (like me) will just have to be aware of the possibility that some artist don’t want you to play the music they make. That’s cool. It’s their music. Just seems kinda odd to me that I have to risk running into trouble with the music police just to post a song that I want to get input on for how I can do said song better.
As others have said. If that’s what occurs, I will surly take it down. I also won’t listen to said artists songs anymore either.
Just seems a shade selfish to me.
I happily share what I do in my work with others if it can benefit them. Even if it makes them money and don’t make me a dime. I’m just happy to share what I know with others to perhaps make there life better. Again. To each their own I guess.

I’m just gonna continue to watch out for any infringement on my part. For me, it does kinda take a bit of the fun out of it if I gotta watch out for the music police though.
I just wanna play some songs for fun…

Thanks for every ones input into this subject.

1 Like

You can’t sell copyright. You can sell permission to use but copyright is granted to the creator by default not something you buy.

1 Like

Maybe not where you live, but over here you can. Copyright is indeed granted to the creator by default, but you can actually sell it. Although there are some subtleties like ‘moral rights’, which the creator keeps, and there is indeed the other possibility of licensing.

http://www.artistsunited.be/nl/content/auteursrecht-duurtijd-en-prijszetting-p

(it’s in Dutch, but hey, it’s never too late to learn a new skill :wink: )

There was actually quite some discussion some time back regarding the copyright for Tintin, a comic book character. Its creator died some 40 years ago. After his death, his publishing company basically sued everyone who used an image of Tintin, since they got the copyright from the creator, Hergé. But during one of these law suits, it turned out that Hergé had actually sold his copyright to another publishing company, so all the previous legal claims turned out to be false. On the other hand, there is his wife who, as Hergé’s heir, still holds the moral rights to his work and this way can make sure that the characters he created cannot be used in any way that hurts the integrity of the creation.

That’s not true. You can sell intellectual property ownership (copyright). You can also sell or grant permission to use (called licensing).

Who owns a work that is created can also vary depending on contracts. If you just do it yourself, you would own it. But if you do it for an employer or have a contract in place you may not own it. Depends on the law of where you live and the contracts you have in place. That’s how artists sometimes end up not owning their songs.

New artists often sign over the copyright to the recording company as part of their early recording contracts.

1 Like

I’m very far from being a legal expert, but as far as I know, it’s moral rights that authors maintain even if they sell the copyright to their works: