Dave911 - My first shared recording - For What Its Worth

Hi, Dave! Nothing to be worried about, congratulations to jump over the hurdle of self-doubt. I think you’re doing pretty well. It’ s a brave move to share your video with the members of this community, we all can learn from this! Stay motivated and keep on going!

2 Likes

Well done Dave. Can’t see anything for you to be worried about there. I’m at about the same level as you but sadly I haven’t found the courage to post my first recording yet. Congratulations on a solid first recording :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

1 Like

Keep searching for that courage, Tim. You may find it here as you continue to watch others take the plunge, survive the experience, and receive useful feedback and encouragement :wink:

You have nothing to be embarrassed about here. You’re doing the right things, you just need to keep working on it, and posting a “current state” with an eye towards improvement is laudable.

I know you’re working on rhythm and playing to a backing track: both of those are good. Your arm is moving to the beat: that is good. One thing to note when you’re using a backing track: if the recording is an older one it may not be recorded to a click or have any quantization so the bpm could drift a little during the song. There’s nothing wrong with that (in fact, I think some tempo variation often sound more natural and better), and you ultimately want to be able to compensate on the fly if you’re playing with a drummer that speeds up or slows down a bit during a song, but it can be something that trips you up when you’re working on improving your rhythm and timing. So when you’re practicing rhythm and timing it can be good to spend time with a metronome or steady drum beat, as well as practicing with backing tracks. You may already be doing that, but I thought I’d mention it.

In any case, well done, and congratulations on sharing your first recording.

1 Like

If I can do it, you can too!

Thanks David. I know once i’ve done it i’ll feel better, and I’ll also feel as though i’m making more of a contribution to the community. I can only stand on the sidelines watching for so long. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You’re so right Dave. I think i’m now going to start doing a bit of recording during each of my practice sessions to desensitize myself. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Excellent work! Remember: it’s always about progress, not perfection. One thing I’ve learned about playing guitar is there’s always going to be some degree of feeling like you’re just getting started. I don’t think that feeling ever goes away.

2 Likes

Don’t feel pressured, Tim. We all take the time we need to take. And it makes a meaningful contribution to the Community to listen to people’s recordings and share your feedback. And that feedback doesn’t need to be any more than encouragement, pointing out just what you liked. No need to feel pressure to over critique or suggestions. Mostly we just need encouragement, and can’t get enough!

Thanks David. Good advice as always. I still struggle to relax sometimes when i’m playing so i’ll try not to put myself under any undue pressure to record something. I hope to get something on here soon though :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi Dave, congrats on sharing your first recording! Well done, absolutely nothing embarrassing about it.

1 Like

Well done Dave, it all fits and sits nicely. You’ve got a good mind set for learning and it will serve you well.

1 Like

Great effort Dave, couldn’t hear any bum notes in there :+1:. Watching this has given me the confidence to have a go at recording myself.

Cheers
Mike

1 Like

Dude! Great job!! Keep at it! Absolutly nothing to be ashamed of… just posted my first vid, and yeah. Its really scary…

1 Like

Hey,
Seems to be worth a lot and well done. You got a steady strumming hand going all the time. Just keep working on in and you will keep improving! All the best on your guitar journey!

Keep on rock’n,
LB

1 Like

I guess that’s the best way to get over the nerves, sounding good - just keep posting!

1 Like

Bravo! Your courage gives me courage! Also you did a great job :). I hope you are feeling proud of yourself.

1 Like