DavidP's Learning Log

I want one too David. Considering you and Richard are ‘management’ I’d have thought a proper Community badge could be created. Something along the lines of ‘Certified - I survived DavidP’s epistle’.

3 Likes

That was a very well written and inspirational post. Thank you for sharing your journey, David, with us.

1 Like

Eloquent and inspiring as usual David. Enjoyed the comments on the singing, as I’m starting down that path at the moment.
Cheers, Shane

1 Like

@sairfingers :rofl:

:medal_military: Maybe ‘Certifiable - I read DavidP’s epistles’ :laughing:

@Socio @sclay

Appreciate the feedback, glad you enjoyed the update

Thanks David, it is always a pleasure to read your learning log. I don’t know if I’ve mentioned it before, but your log is the inspiration for mine :hugs:.

Are you saying so! Maybe, someday :sweat_smile:. Still have miles to go!!

@swashata

That’s kind of you to say, Swashata. I always hope that my sharing may serve as some small encouragement or inspiration to others in the dojo.

I expect you already sing better than you think. I think we all tend to dislike how we sound in our own ears. And based on your playing of songs in AVOYP, if singing and playing is something you want to do, you may be closer than you think if you choose songs carefully, play them simply.

Great write up David and strangely parallel to my own DYV journey. A 12 week course lasting a year, with the last week still to complete, other modules to start, So much music to make with a lump of wood and some wires ! I too will return.

But as you say, just like the guitar, singing can be learnt and if you talk with expressions of exasperation, excitement and incredulity, do that and gauge your range. You’ll be surprised.
Just a I suspect MGF @DavidP was, when he started his singing journey and now he enthrals us all. There is no gift, no natural talent, just hard graft and practice. Just as this log shows.

Always an honour sir :cowboy_hat_face:

Thanks Toby. We are singing in two part harmony!

This morning, as I was reading ZG, I was thinking that it would surely resonate with MGF @TheMadman_tobyjenner. If you’ve never read it, then maybe that’s something for the musical wishlist, albeit not gear :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I had a paper copy many years ago and likely lost in the move to France. But I have a digital copy in my library of other Zen literature and earmarked for a read for sure,
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Great entry David and fully support what you said, we are our own worst critics and with some practice and positive attitude we can learn to sing for sure!

1 Like

@adi_mrok

Thanks for taking a read and commenting, Adrian; much appreciated.

I’m lining up for one too Gordon.

This may be more apt!

1 Like

@batwoman

Here you are, Maggie :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Hope it was not too arduous.

:medal_sports:

1 Like

Much appreciate promotion to the MGF category, David (…chiming in with the others: “Where’s my badge?” :rofl:)
I often refer to Richard as Sensei but now also count myself as one of your unsui/unsung/un-suing heroes :wink:

He actually co-wrote it with the master :wink:
He wrote a very reader-friendly book on Norse Mythology which cleared up a lot of things I had a vague notion of. (That was the underlying theme in his fab novel American Gothic)
He would be a candidate target if I were the stalking type!

@brianlarsen

Now if Mods could create Badges that members could be free to award, I would surely create “I survived DavidP’s novel posts” (possible pun intended) certificate to award to those who choose to spend time in the reading of my musings.

But I don’t think that is possible.

So accept your medal as a poor alternative :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Indeed, but his voice is then in harmony, rather than a solo.

I have seen this on the local book store’s ever-diminishing fantasy shelves (which are now re-named as speculative fiction).

Unless mistaken (too lazy to fact-check) I think Steven Fry may have written something similar (but maybe conflating a review/discussion with Fry with Gaiman’s book).

I too have an eye on that one. We watched episode 1 of the Netflix series and while I was getting into it, my wife wasn’t.

At present I I reading Brent Week’s Lightbringer series. We waited for the fifth and final book to be published before buying any of the books (not going to be left high and dry, at the whim and mercy of the author, waiting for the series to be concluded … yes, I’m talking about you Mr Martin).

And then the remaining few unread Disc World novels. Perhaps thereafter the time will be right to read those two by Gaiman. Though my son recently bought a copy of Dune. I am sure I read it 40 odd years ago but worth a second read.

Now I have digressed down a totally off topic path, but hey, it’s my Learning Log and we can have any conversation (within Community Etiquette bounds) here.

I too am chiming in for my medal :wink: Great read. I can totally relate to the long and winding road approach to learning. Glad you are finding your voice and getting more comfortable with singing. I must join one of the open mics as at least an audience member to hear you live.

I enjoyed your update and musings, David. Singing is not on my would-love-to-do list, I am finally embracing that lol. (Convincing Krista to sing with me more, now that is definitely on my ‘list’!) Interesting that, especially when I see you and others clearly learn and improve from the courses you are taking. So never say never, but for now I’m happy to sing as little as possible, when required ‘in service of the song’. I think I might be headed down another rabbit hole to explore slide guitar though. I am such an organized person in my ‘real life’ I thought that should be my way for guitar practice too. Much as that still has its appeal, structure and discipline and measuring improvements, it wasn’t working for me. So I do have some loosely defined goals, and I am using Justin’s MPA, but I spend a lot of time veering off into rabbit holes of interest - songs and techniques - without mastering anything. For now I’m (mostly) content to keep working on a handful of songs, a couple of techniques, and know that I’m headed in the general direction of where I want to end up :smiley:

@frito

Well, here you are then, Joe :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

There are many better reasons to join an OM that to hear me live. Some of our members really do play and sing ever so well. I shan’t name names but you should come along, check it out, and then join in. Have a look in #community-open-mic-events:community-open-mics and sign up for the event.

And if you haven’t yet, then you can take a look at the last event video in the #community-open-mic-events:community-open-mic-video-archives

1 Like

@Mari63

I know I am a stuck record, Mari, but whenever it is necessary to serve a song and sing, your singing is a joy to listen to.

I have a slide. It sits in a drawer waiting for when I am a considerably better player to be able to take on some acoustic blues on the resonator.

As for yourself, keep doing what you are doing, as your playing is an inspiration for me.

2 Likes

Just read the entire thread (I admit, I had to do it over two afternoons/evenings) and what a journey David! It reads as both, a series of musical diary entries and a spiritual journey. I guess music can be both.

I was surprised to learn that the “First time playing in public” video was actually yours. I remembered it being posted years ago but somehow never connected it to your name. Well now I know!

Congratulations on your playing, singing, mixing, songwriting and other endeavours. Also very interested to see when the GAS will kick in again!

Here’s to another 5 years (and a few months.) of rocking out!