Developing repertoire

Develop your song repertoire by setting goals & learn my best tips for memorizing guitar songs!

View the full lesson at Developing repertoire | JustinGuitar

always inspirational Justin thank you

1 Like

So, are there open Mics where you can play cover songs? This might be a german thingā€¦ but every open mic I found is restricted to GEMA free / your own songs.

Es ist eine Deutsche Sache :wink:
The community does run its own ā€˜virtualā€™ open mics on Zoom about every two months though, if you ever feel like joining in, either as a performer or just to watch :smiley:
Hereā€™s a link to the next one

1 Like

Hi Tabita,
And then there is also this ā€¦ Video of you playingā€¦ feels for many also like an open mic, ā€¦ or a step towards it,
Greetings ,Rogier

This is amazing. Thank you for letting me know :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you. Thatā€™s a great idea.

1 Like

We have one German member whose life and work has got busy so he doesnā€™t visit so often now. I am sure that he played cover songs at open mic events.
@max_mue Can you help?

I did a bit of googling and it looks like a GEMA Licenses is the same as most countries have. In the UK itā€™s a license from the PRS that allows you to play Live or Recorded music. Most venues in the UK which host Open Mics (generally pubs/clubs etc) would have one of these as theyā€™ll play recorded or live music on a regular basis. Iā€™ve never known any venue in the UK say you canā€™t play covers (and Iā€™m sure not all will have a license). I get the impression in some countries some venues who donā€™t have regular live/recorded music choose not to have a license hence no covers.

In the US/Canada I think itā€™s a similar thing.

1 Like

Sure! :slight_smile:

I guess it depends on the region / the place where the OMs take place.

The OMs I attended allowed covers - I guess they either didnā€™t care or they are paying some sort of ā€œflat rateā€ as they are regular pubs / music clubs with the occasional OM night.

Just keep looking - or be part of the JG Open Mic as Brian suggested :slight_smile:

Edit: ah - I see Rossco already figured it out ^^

2 Likes

Thanks @max_mue

ps
How is the teaching going?
And the singing / playing?
:slight_smile:

My goals will be:

1. Open Mic Set (2-4 songs; my own songs only; I already have a set, but I can work on the arrangement & technique)
  2. Street Music Set (30 min; mix of own songs and cover songs)
    and optional:
  3. Party Set (5-10 songs; easy cover songs I love; for every time someone wants me to play something)
2 Likes

Good advice as always, although if the visualisation advice does not work for you donā€™t despair, you may simply be in the one third of the population that have aphantasia and donā€™t have a mindā€™s eye. Justin is obviously in the two thirds of the population where visualisation is a thing.

Hi there community.
So with a 10 song repertoire approx how long would it take to learn all 10 and not need song sheets?

How good is your memory?

Also depends on what kind of songs you want to learn.

With age my memory not as good as it was.
10 songs Iā€™ve chose are-

• Wonderwall-oasis-capo 2nd fret
  • Stand by me Ben e king- capo 2nd fret
  • Wish you were here-pink floyd
  • Hey jude-Beatles- capo 3rd fret
  • Blowing in the wind-Dylan-capo 5th fret
  • Shotgun-George ezra- capo 1st fret
  • Bad moon rising-CCR
  • House of the rising sun- animals- fingerstyle
  • Wonderful tonight-Eric Clapton-capo 1st fret
  • Stealers wheels- stuck in the middle with you
1 Like

Hey Craig,
Unfortunately youā€™ve asked the ā€œHow long is a piece of string questionā€ how long is a piece of string - Wiktionary

In addition to what Stuart and Jozsef have brought up, there would also be the questions of at what level do you want to play these songs - simple or as in the original. The higher you aspirations the longer it will take (howā€™s that for stating the obvious :slight_smile: )

Of the songs in your list that I am familiar with, some of them can be very straight forward to commit to memory (stand by me was very easy for me). So based on that I would guess that a campfire quality could be done in months, not weeks but not years either.

One thing you can be certain of is that if you start today then when you ask the question tomorrow the answer will be 1 fewer days remaining.

Glen

Thanks all :+1:

Helloā€¦ Iā€™m currently learning from Justinā€™s course. His schedule has me here, playing with my neighbor who plays drums. I have turned down all previous offers to play, but felt required to start. What great fun!! We have 3 songs we are working on with the goal is a 5 songs that I can play with confidence. Thank you Justin.

2 Likes