Developing repertoire

What if you don’t have a repertoire or have learnt any songs at this point?

I know bits of lots of songs but couldn’t play one all the way through. Can’t really see the point to be honest as my singing is bad so don’t.

I have a different problem, in that I keep adding to songs I want to add to my existing repertoire. Currently have 7 that I am learning to play and sing and another 8 that I want add. I hasten to add not all will be from memory some will be with the assistance of a chord sheet.
I have told myself I am not allowed to add another one without taking one off the list, not sure how successful that will be.
Michael

Don’t know if you saw this, but the approach is really working for me - it’s a systematic way of adding and perfecting songs to your repertoire.

I’m trying to build up to being able to play the solos on the songs I’d like to learn all the way through. My big 3 are Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Tool. I can start with the easier solos, but it looks like I am still not in the point of the lessons where we would have learned the techniques for these bands solos yet.

Appreciate these tips and motivators to establish a good repertoire. Beyond grateful for all that I’ve learned since starting this course back in January. One thing I keep waiting for, however, is a lesson on tips for singing while playing. I’ve been waiting to bring this up for some time now, thinking that it might be just around the corner, but since I haven’t come across it yet, this repertoire lesson seemed to be the time to do so.

OK, so I JUST did a search (could’ve sworn I did one before) and there is a lesson, but it’s not until module TWENTY in grade 3. So, I guess my question is, at this point in grade 2, are we expected to be able to play AND sing these songs that we’re adding to our repertoire?

Now, I will say is that I have gotten better at this with either some simple all down strums or with the “old faithful” strumming pattern, but it really takes a lot of concentration. Also, the recent lesson on looking without playing actually helped tremendously. I had never even thought about not looking and was surprised how my fingers knew where they were just from being in those positions so many times. And, without having to look, it’s one less thing to think about when playing.

Anyway, I do think I’ll go ahead and check out that lesson in module 20 for some pointers. Certainly can’t hurt!

Jared, its not an expectation nor a requirement but if you can do it, go for it. But pay close attention to Justin’s lesson. The key is having the playing on auto pilot so you do not think about the guitar part and can focus on the vocals. That is why its likely the lesson does not appear until Grade 3, as you should have a strong foundation and solid rhythm by that stage.

Some find it easier than others, it literally took me decades until it finally clicked. So don’t expect overnight success, just be patient and it will come.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

Thanks Toby, that is helpful! It’s definitely a heck of a lot more fun to actually sing at the same time. So, for now, I’ll simply just stick to some simple strumming patterns. I’ve got the (correct) Wonderwall strumming pattern down to where it’s automatic, but it’s still too way complicated for me to sing too, so I’ll use it as something to aspire to on down the road.

1 Like