Did I Buy The Wrong Guitar

Hey Stephen,

Firstly mate, take a deep breath, and relax. You’ve got this. The first few months on guitar can be frustrating at times, as you get used to the instrument. But the rewards will be great.

Plenty of advice here already, so wont repeat. In time, things will correct themselves as you follow Justins lead, and the help of this community.

All the best,
Cheers, Shane.

1 Like

@MulchyD
Here is a resource on guitar action. It also has links to things like truss rod adjustment. This can help you figure out if your guitar has a reasonable set up or not. If you are handy and brave, much can be done on your own, but even if you are not, you will at least learn if your guitar needs a little tlc to shine (and be optimal to play). It may be worth some reasonable cost to get a set up if it looks to need one.

I’m 8 weeks in and am just finishing the first lesson of grade 2. It is finally coming together for me. The finger pain is lessening and I can practice songs for 30 min. Justin’s Nitsuj videos mirrored my experience, I suggest following those practice videos.

I started with an acoustic (4 weeks) but the pain wasn’t allowing me to practice more that 5-10 minutes each day so I picked up a cheap used electric and my chord changes really improved and I could practice 15-20 almost immediately. Now I play my acoustic twice a week and the electric 4 days. I rarely use an amp so not to bother my family.

I’ve had my doubts if I could learn guitar in my 50’s but buy week 8 with Justin’s program I have the complete confidence that I will succeed.

Trust me, keep practicing.

4 Likes

Donner guitars are very good value and generally speaking very well made. I’ve seen a few and set them up to make them a bit easier to play for friends and neighbours, usually a gauge less on the strings and lowering the saddle. Usually the nut doesn’t need any attention but I have had one that needed a new nut - it was a bit too low. First thing with an inexpensive guitar is to put new strings on it generally they’re either really cheap ones or a bit corroded.

3 Likes

Never quit! I am sure many of us here had a hard time in life with a task/hobby that we struggled with. Perseverance and positive approach will get you there. I raced cars not to many years ago. I was really poor at it. I had no experience. But never gave up. And one day it all clicked and I won my first event. Before I retired I obtained a NASCAR short track Championship. You will succeed if you want to and yes there will be bad days and good days. And as time goes on the good days will outnumber bad days. Then reward yourself with a new outstanding guitar.

4 Likes