Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing solo 1 + 2

Hello Brendan - Thanks very much, I cringe a bit listening back to this - I hear all the mistakes so clearly now, but it’s all part of learning.
It’s going through an HX effects - Its going through a compression pedal into a klon style OD with a little reverb from the amp. Looking back at it I think I switch from the neck to the bridge pickup for the ‘rhythm’ parts - not how the original song goes but I was following the backing track from solo 1 to solo 2.
I’m sure this is far from the ‘right’ thing to do but it sounded okay to my ear.

I’m also just recording these on an old smart phone so it does sound a little better in the room.

Thanks LB - I’ve taken a little break from this song for a few weeks but I’ll definitely pick it back up again soon and work through those sloppy parts.

Joe,
Back a few months ago my friend and co-collaborator on cover songs went solo on this song. Take a listen as this will give you something to shoot for:
Sultans of the Swing - Oldhead49

I hope it inspires you to work on this one more, as this will show you what is possible.

All the best,
LB

2 Likes