Direvus - July 2022 - Landslide + Take It Easy + Sound Of Silence + Californication + R U Mine + Swinging On A Star + House of the Rising Sun

Well, if you put a capo on 2, the chord shapes that you play should all be a full tone lower than the original song. So, the original B becomes an A (1 full tone lower). Any other chord in the song is treated the same way – lower by a full tone. So, if the song has an E chord, with a capo on 2 you play a D shape. A → G, F#m → Em, etc. As another community member likes to say, “simples”. :wink:

1 Like

great improvement mate

Nice effort! I have always barred my F chord the Hendrix way. I find it way easier to do than the traditional way. House of the rising sun was the first song I ever learned on acoustic. I learned it from a Esteban dvd back in the day lmao.

Night and day. All about progress. Good job.

Good steady work and progress… Keep up the vibe and good work!
LB

Started to play Landslide by picking out the notes, rather than strumming. I love how it sounds and I think it’s really fun to play like this. No singing this time because the fingerpicking takes up all of my attention!

I am pretty much running straight up and down the chord every time (finger order T 1 2 3 2 1), but I think in the original they might use some trickier patterns.

Also since I recorded this clip, thanks to @Richard_close2u I found out that these chords from the JG app are a simplified arrangement. Apparently the D is actually meant to be a D7/F#, and the G is meant to be a G/B. So now I am working on bringing the slash chords in to my playing.

6 Likes

Sounded great Brendan. Well done. Clean sound, and the straight up and down picking worked well too for this song. And again, you had solid rhythm, super important.

You’re progressing well mate. Gonna be a big next 12 months for you I reckon.

All the best

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Good going Brendan, very clean throughout. The song works just fine with a simple picking pattern as you play here. It’s such a good song that the most basic of strumming would work too.
If you want to have a long term aim of the ‘proper’ picking and / or incorporating some of the ascending / descending bass lines then check Justin’s lesson: https://www.justinguitar.com/songs/fleetwood-mac-landslide-chords-tabs-guitar-lesson-sb-426

1 Like

Sounding great. You’ve got a solid finger picking technique to build on there

Hi Brendan,
I agree with those who spoke earlier, you have a stable rhythmic fingerstyle playing, and that’s great! This can be the basis for further complicating the guitar playing and adding vocals. Waiting for new videos!
Leo

Hi Brendan,
Well done and a nice start…and of course listening to Richard…
Greetings,Rogier

Hi Brendan, that was really great. Lovely steady fingerstyle which I think is more difficult on electric due to the string spacing. Well done.
As others have said it’s a song that can be developed endlessly as your skills improve.

It’s a terrific song. I love Fleetwood Mac, both the original Peter Green blues stuff and the later Rumours etc. incarnation.

1 Like

That was great Brendan. Very smooth on the fingerstyle.

Like others have said, plenty to work on with this song, so a keeper for a good while I think.

Keep on at this rate and you’ll be finger picking singing before you know it.

1 Like

That was amazing, very soothing to listen to!
Also thank you for introducing me to this song!

1 Like

Agreed, I started out playing it with strums and I do like how that sounds. My first video with Landslide was using basic strums: Landslide (with singing). That was just down strums on 1 and 3. I think I used the ↓.↓↑.↑↓↑ strum pattern for a few sessions, and that worked pretty well too. But there is something about the fingerpicking with this song in particular that feels very ‘right’ to me.

I did notice that Justin had a lesson for this one, and I sure will check it out at some point. For the time being, I am having a good time listening and experimenting and trying to figure stuff out.

1 Like

Hi Brendan, in my opinion you play your finger style pattern good in two ways, steady rhytm and accurate plucking of the strings so you get a nice sound that sounds harmonius with the other ones. Keep working on it. Also I think that going with a simplified arrangment, mastering and later refininig it can be a good approach.

Good stuff Brendan! I didn’t watch all of your videos but I definitely liked your finger picking arrangements. I think that somebody above said it, but starting simple and adding character later gets….easier. Keep jamming!!:+1:

1 Like

Cheers, Travis! Was a nice surprise to get a comment on one of my old recordings, looks like the mods have been doing some reorganising of these AVOYP threads.

Kudos for the following:

1. Simple strumming such as one down strum per bar is really the way to go as you develop the muscle memory with your chord changes. It also helps to develop a groove and timing.
  2. Simple recording techniques using a cell phone is a great entry point. I still use my iPhone a lot these days but I use a plug-in mic (Shure MV88).
  3. Listing your Youtube videos is really a great and right thing to do. I feel strongly about this to the point that I will not listen to or comment on unlisted tracks. Remain fearless and continue to get your music and playing out there for the world to see/hear. Trust me, your playing and progress will inspire others, even those that are not forum members.

Play on playa!

1 Like

Thanks for the message Clint. It’s nice sometimes, to look back at these older recordings and reflect on where I’ve improved, what I enjoy playing, what I am still finding difficult.

I like this sentiment very much, although a quick look at the view counters on these videos suggests nobody is watching them apart from JG forum. Which is perfectly fine by me.

1 Like