Direvus - July 2022 - Landslide + Take It Easy + Sound Of Silence + Californication + R U Mine + Swinging On A Star + House of the Rising Sun

You have a very good start on a demanding song. Keep practicing and you will get it to where you want it.
In future recordings please turn up your volume. I had to max everything out at my end, and I could just hear the guitar and you.
I notice you keep time with your right foot. That is something I did a lot but I found that I was moving the guitar in a manner that made it more difficult than it needed to be to play. Try keeping time with your left foot and see if it makes a difference for you.
Keep going, you are doing fine.

Hi Robert, thanks for the reply.

When I started out with Justin’s app, I did take heed of his advice to try tapping with the opposite foot, and I did try to make that work. Unfortunately for me I’ve been tapping with my right foot my whole life and trying to switch it over to my left didn’t go well. I found it was taking so much concentration to keep my left foot going, I couldn’t do anything else properly at the same time, and even then I couldn’t hold a steady beat with the left.

I suppose I could push through it and try to get the left foot working, but for now I am finding it heaps more comfortable to use the right, even if it does bounce the guitar around a little.

Hi Brendan
Coming along nicely. You say you felt your rhythm fell off a bit. Your strum technique is very stop start. The trick is to keep your strum arm/wrist moving up and down constantly to the beat of the song. Even if you’re only hitting the strings on beat one, your arm should move up and down DUDUDUDU. Doing that help keep the rhythm steady.

1 Like

Hi Gordon, yeah I do try to do the continuous strum hand movement, I seem to find it easier to get that going on some songs than on others. Right now it’s very early days on this song and there’s a lot I’m trying to pay attention to. I think the continuous strumming will click into place after some more practice.

I perhaps ought to leave out those little fingerstyle bits at the end of the lines, until I get a more solid rhythm going – but those are so much fun to do, hard to resist :slight_smile:

1 Like

Projects that stretch one are a good thing, Robert. Keep working at. No more suggestions for me to add. So far so good.

Well done on having a crack at a very challenging song Brendan and you did a pretty good job as well.

Great :clap::clap::clap:

Sure you can be proud of how it is going :slight_smile: .

And your intonation was really good for the song as well :clap:

Building a good foundation for a powerful version by Disturbed. Lots of good advice.
You’ve inspired me to look at their version, that in the Madman’s ball park !
:sunglasses:

Awesome, I look forward to seeing your take on it Toby :smiley:

When I first hit the Californication riff in Justin’s lessons I couldn’t make it work, I was always muting the 4th string with my F grip. I decided to park that one for a while and came back to it again as I was getting to the tail end of Grade 2. With a bit more full barre F practice under my fingers, the riff came easier and I moved on to attempting the whole song. That Bm - D - A - E sequence seemed impossible at first, but after a few nights of One Minute Changes, it came together faster than I thought it would.

No attempt at singing in this one :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Great job! I’m struggling with that one right now. You gave me hope. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Coming along nicely there Brendan. I hear you with the bridge section and the chords, I never thought I’d be able to play it at any speed!

The only advice I’d give you is to trust the speed of your changes and not change so quickly after the single strums, it’s making it sound a bit staccato. It looks like your changes are quick enough. Maybe go for a couple of strums or a down up down on each before making the change as a challenge. It’ll force you to linger a little more and let the song flow a little bit better. Rhythm and timing seem bang on. It’s not an easy song to get to grips with at all but you’re well on the way :+1:

Cheers Mark. I think you gave me similar advice about changing too early, on House of the Rising Sun. I think you’re right and it happens when I’m not confident about the chord I’m changing to. While I don’t love the sound of leaving a chord too soon, I much prefer it to the sound of arriving on a chord too late – or even worse, landing on the chord with my fingers all out of position and the strum ends up being a jangly disaster.

The changes I feel myself going early on are anything into full barre F, Dm, F♯m or Bm. I think if I just pour more time into OMC/Perfect Fast Changes on those chords, the timing of the changes will resolve themselves. It worked that way with C, G, etc and now I feel like I can change to those ones at my leisure.

1 Like

I’m being a bit of a broken record then :wink::joy:

It’s not so much you’re too early, all your strums are on the right beat, I just feel you’re moving the chord earlier than you think you, or actually, need to that’s all.

Sounds like a solid plan with OMC / PFC work, they really helped me out with F when I was learning that to begin with which then translated to barre chords in general. Looking forward to hearing how that goes.

Good stuff mate :+1:

Not a broken record at all, I appreciate the advice and the fact that it’s consistent across multiple videos is a good thing! Thanks very much for your help.

1 Like

I think you are brave for even giving this a go its not easy! Well done!

1 Like

Coming along nicely Brendan.

This song is a good grower as there are lots of bits that can be done simply or more complicated.

Thought I’d give you tip that I reckon you could do already with a little practice if you gave it a shot.

The last note of the chord arpeggios in the verse sections are held longer. Watching your hand, you can do it, you’re changing earlier than you need to. I can tell that because you’re well ready in place waiting for the beat. Let it ring a little bit longer, then when you change, try to get your fingers there just in time. Will add a lot to the song.

2 Likes

Thanks for the comment JK. I think getting moving into position well before the beat in the verses is a leftover from early sessions with this riff, when I found it really difficult to get my hand set up in the F grip properly. Suspect you are right that I don’t need to give myself so much time on that anymore.

1 Like

That was nicely done Brendan. A classic tune to cover.

I need say nothing more as others have already said it.

Taking another crack at this one, incorporating feedback on my last video (esp. from @Notter and @jkahn) and playing around with my new recording gear and Garage Band.

1 Like