Do I 'need' an acoustic guitar

Happy pre new guitar day!

That apx600 looks like a real good place to start. Dagen at pmt sure makes it sound good anyways.

imho, your doing right. Itā€™s great to have both acoustic and electric.
They are the same, but they are different.
It seems you (me) approach playing slightly different when going between the two.

Besides, with an acoustic, ya can just grab your guitar and beer and go play on the back stoop.
Ya can do that with electric too, if you want to make 4 (+ or -) trips to get all your electric gear out to the back stoop. Which, myself, I do, do sometimes. But the acoustic is just grab and go.
imho, acoustic is just easier to take somewhere and just play. Zero set up time.

And for sure rock music has acoustic played in it too.
I think Beatles in '65 or '66. Much acoustic intruments played in them days. Of coarse, along with some electric tooā€¦ :slight_smile:

Have fun with your new guitar. Sure looks like a good guitar to me. Price is pretty good too. Hum, Iā€™m getting ideas tooā€¦ :wink:

4 Likes

Cheers everyone

Yep thatā€™s me convinced
Just need to get to the shop and actually try it haha

4 Likes

Just to add some confirmation: yes, you need an acoustic guitar.

3 Likes

Well done everyone :wink: :rofl:

5 Likes

I grew up on rock and roll and loved everything about the electric guitar. Now, while I have an electric, itā€™s just the sweet sound of an unplugged and unmodified acoustic that gives me the greatest pleasure. I can take it anywhere and enjoy it without needing power or batteries.

3 Likes

The Yamaha you mentioned is on my list to check out when I get there, along with at least 10 others. And Iā€™m sure something else will catch my eye. I may be there for hours!

1 Like

Yeah, acoustics are great. Get an acoustic. I love electric, thought that was all I needed but fell in love with acoustics.

Oh there is so much in thisā€¦ yeah, Iā€™m also a guitar player rather than a guitar collector.

Butā€¦ sometimes the problem is that your gear isnā€™t good enough. Or isnā€™t set up properly. Or doesnā€™t give you the right sound.

Iā€™m a believer that once someone is ā€œinā€ to guitar, they should try to buy the best gear they can afford/justify rather than cheap out. Good gear is better than el cheapo stuff, and easier to play (within reason - a signature custom shop strat is not going to be easier to play than a player series set up well).

2 Likes

How can you play your campfire songs without one. :+1:

2 Likes

I agree with you guys. Just noting that @Rider2040 mentioned ā€œas little gear as possibleā€, not ā€œas cheap gear as possibleā€. So, one or two guitars, maybe, but good ones.

Having said that, it seems to me that a few hundred dollars will get a nice guitar that plays very well (or so Iā€™ve read, Iā€™m an anti-gear head, so I wouldnā€™t know myself. Iā€™m super happy with my Epiphone Dot, which cost ~400 euros).

I know people have lots of reasons for buying lots of guitars: a new guitar will inspire you, or I need to keep a guitar in some alternate tuning, or I have a particular sound in my head that Iā€™m trying to produce with a new guitar, or I want to upgrade my current guitar, or (and this is my favourite) collecting guitar gear is a lot less expensive than other hobbies, so why not? (sure, I do a lot of coke, but, hey, itā€™s better than heroin!)

Of course, to each his own, thereā€™s no harm in buying lots of gear. It just seems (to me) to have little to do with learning how to play guitar.

Having gone on this rant, I will say that everyone should own an acoustic guitar. I think the sweet spot is one electric and one acoustic. And a ukulele :smiley:

4 Likes

perfect set for learning different sounds and techniques :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have a look on Facebook Marketplace, loads there for not much money. If it turns out itā€™s not for you, you havenā€™t spent too much. Stick to well known brands, Yamaha, Epiphone, Fender and you should be fine.

1 Like

Each to their own. If youā€™re interested in an acoustic, buy one you can afford/ borrow one and try it out. Some players like playing acoustic more, some electric. Others switch between the 2 often. Also, circumstances can change; financial, personal, musical etc.
Over the first 3 years of my playing, Iā€™d say I played electric/ acoustic roughly the same amount of time, perhaps 55/45 electric. In the last year or so, Iā€™ve gravitated exclusively to the electric, and have barely touched my acoustic in the last 12 months.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

I started on a very cheap acoustic but donā€™t do that! I will make your fingers sour! The acoustic will help you to get better on the e- guitar beacause of the extra pressure you need. Do get a nice one and Yamaha do have those at the rigth price. Since you are an e-guitar player set it up with 11- 49 (or 52) strings and adjust the truss rod for that set. Use coated strings like elixit or dā€™addarios Go for a guitar with a solid top (not laminated) SO much better sound. Get it with a cut back so you can reach the lower frets. DO not buy a one with a big body -willjust be clumsey - small body but with a mic ! Setup is very important !
Spend USD 1000-1200 a you have a friend forever!
Yes I like Yamahas but I have two Taylor builders edition and thats of a next step but ā€¦ with a good acoustic you might be tempted to learn fingerpicking - it is fun ! Look at Travis picking!
Happy guitar hunting

1 Like

If the question is ever about getting a guitar the answer is always yes.

Q: Should I get an acoustic?
A: Yes
Q: Should I get a bass guitar?
Q: I have an S-type guitar, should I get a T-type guitar?

Easy peasy. :wink:

5 Likes

Trust Richard, he knows whats what

3 Likes

But missed HBs :rofl:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be the lone dissenter and say, no, you donā€™t need an electric guitar. Iā€™ve been perfectly happy without one.

Electric guitars are easier to play, more versatile, and can be both louder and quieter.

But if you want an acoustic guitarā€¦

Well, then you should get one. :laughing:

1 Like

Forgot to update this and Iā€™ll do a proper NGD post but I went for the Yamaha APX600

Action seemed very high at the 12th so itā€™s been to the local shop and been adjusted from just over 3mm down to 2.5 on the low E

4 Likes

Nice new guitar!

I am surprised I havenā€™t posted in this thread yet because, of course, I have opinions.

I love my acoustic because it just plays, no cables, no amp, just a guitar and me.

Electric is great, but I had difficulty with all the possibilities of amplification and signal chain modifications. I spent too much time mucking with the technologic doodads rather than learning and playing the instrument itself.

2 Likes