Dro_1 - May 2022 - Tears In Heaven + People Are Strange + Shallow + Stairway To Heaven + Light My Fire + Sleep Walk

Thanks for sharing. This was very inspirational to learn some Doors songs myself.

Jeff

1 Like

Hi

Great band.
Great tune.

Really good version.
You’ve a very relaxed style of playing which adds a nice looseness to the vibe.

Nice one.
Digger

1 Like

@Digger72 @SDKissFan Thanks guys. As I posted on another comment, I’m happy to have made other people give their songs a try. I’ve gotten back into it last night and might work on another one to record and post soon. Cheers

Nicely done and very enjoyable. Sounded great on this end and I think you nailed the vibe of it pretty well. Time to really experiment, by adding some vocals!
:slight_smile:
Keep up the good vibe and rock on!
LB

1 Like

Thanks Lbro.

Maybe one day after a few singing lessons :laughing:

Hi peeps, this one is Shallow.

This song does have a nice flow and sound to it, so I thought it would be a good one to learn and have as part of my guitar practice playlist in general.

I suppose I also thought that this song could have potentially been a good way to impress any ladies that might have caught my eye at the time, haha. But to this day, I still have never played the guitar in front of anybody… so sharing my guitar stuff online for the first time with you guys has been a new and fun experience for me so far.

I found the song pretty beginner friendly with the Bm chord being the only barre to deal with briefly during the Gaga shouting part. There is also a D/F# that might be tricky for some people with wider guitar necks/smaller hands (like me), so I’ve always had a weird way of doing that particular chord.
In regards to that little extra strum flurry at the very end of the song, that’s just me being silly. I don’t know why I throw it in everytime that I play this one… I just do, deal with it :slight_smile:

Below are the Youtube and SoundCloud links for my attempts at this song.

For those of you who plan to hum/sing along to the video, you would have to start singing the 1st verse from pretty much the first second of the video (Because I didn’t play the non-singing intro part which uses the same chords as the verses anyway.)

Starting at 0:01 - “Tell me something girl…”
From 0:53 - “Tell me something boy…”

Alternatively you can listen to my audio version which includes an intro → in that recording, the 1st verse starts at 0:22.
I had also found another audio version of myself very faintly singing in the background to keep track of my position in the song - but that particular one will never see the light of day :laughing:

Feedback and general comments are welcome as always, Thanks…

7 Likes

That’s particularly nice. Well done.

Well played, Sandro, it sounds good.

@tony @DavidP thanks guys, much appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds great Sandro. Thanks for the share. Surprised you don’t play in front of others, not even family? I annoy anyone who is at our house with guitar :joy:

2 Likes

Thanks JK.

Yeah not even family. The topic just hasn’t really come up with anyone after I had learnt some chords and a few songs during all that spare time in lockdown (probably because I’ve never really been one to toot my own horn in front of them haha).

And before I started my proper attempt at learning the guitar during lockdown, all I had “learnt” prior to that were a few simple game melodies where I would just pick single notes one at a time just by copying random online tabs. I had zero knowledge of chords or strumming, so there was really nothing for me to play in front of anyone at the very start.

But if the opportunity does come up in the future and someone wants to hear something → then I’ll try give it a crack.

Not bad at all. I like the finger picking style. I play this song too with full strumming and some of the argeggio/string bending. My version is more of an aggressive rock and roll type, especially at the chorus- lol. Yours fits the ballad style. It is a crowd pleaser anywhere you go and the ladies will appreciate it .

You should play in front of people. I guarantee someone will appreciate the music. It always happens for me. I was at the beach yesterday playing this song and a guns and roses song and a little baby (2 years old maybe?) stopped what he was doing and smiled, then kept coming up to me bringing me his toys as a tip. Other onlookers gave some smiles and appreciation and I was not even singing-just playing the song.

Thanks for sharing with the group. You have talent-don’t keep it a secret.

Jeff from California

2 Likes

Hi Sandro,

Very nice indeed.

I’m another who doesn’t play in front of family, though mine is because my playing just seems to drop to pieces when i’ve tried.
Can’t beat the security of the mancave for playing/recording. :slight_smile:

Digger

1 Like

Thanks @SDKissFan @Digger72
Yes, if the opportunity does come up in the future to play in front of family or friends, I suppose I will give it a shot now that I have a few songs under my belt. Someone else will just have to jump in and do the vocals though :laughing:

Sounds very nice, it’s great to have a song that sounds like the song even without vocals. I enjoyed the change up from finger picking to strumming, some nice dynamics too.

1 Like

Thanks Mari. I probably should’ve added a bit more force into the strums when I switched to those for that last chorus, but I’m glad you liked that little change up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi all,
I finally took out my guitar again late last week and got back into messing around with it over the weekend.
Unfortunately my current phone’s selfie video cam (and sound mic) seems to be much worse than my old phone haha. So I had to find a random app to flip the image of the video, and to my surprise that app also lets me cut/edit segments out.

For that reason I decided to play around with Stairway To Heaven… because I could just attempt to do it in sections, rather than having the pressure of trying to tackle it in one single take. I also had to use headphones to help me keep track of timing, because I’d been very out of practice lately :slight_smile:

So this is just mainly a W.I.P./placeholder for me to see what I have to go back to and work on.

Below is the Youtube link for the recording that I did yesterday, and the SoundCloud link for a much older audio version of me learning the intro part only.

Section 1 (0:00) - Relying on simpler chords here like avoiding the Am barre chord on a couple of verses, and playing a regular D instead of D/F#. But I think I can mostly get away with it if I can clean up the finger pattern aspect.

Section 2 (2:15) - Again, need to clean up the finger pattern. and I stuffed up the simplest part with a very sloppy exchange of chords at the very end of this section (I was probably focusing too much on the timing of them in my earphones).

Section 3 (5:56) - Mini attempt at the very first part of the solo, which I abandoned learning when I figured out that I’d run out of frets that my fingers could reach :laughing:
I stuffed up the part that I learnt anyway, but just left it in as a note to myself in case I try to tackle it again.

Section 4 (6:32) - Work on a suitable strum pattern for this outro, but need to also focus more on the chord changes; unwanted strings ringing out a lot. There is also a little lick in between a couple of chord changes during the outro section that I might try to learn also.

That’s about it for this one. In the meantime I will go review some of my other old audio files for shorter simpler songs to practice, which hopefully I can record new videos of without relying too much on the editing/cutting gimmicks or the use of earphones.
Cheers

7 Likes

It’s a decent foundation to start with, there’s a lot of places where you’ve got unwanted strings sounding, you need to learn to mute them.
The Classical guitar isn’t going you any favours on this, it’s ok for the intro but it’s difficult to get some of the chords you should be using with it. I play it using a Classical guitar for some of it but go to Electric basically after the intro. You can play all of it on Electric as Jimmy Page does live.
I’ve done the solo to a backing track….

2 Likes

Good work Sandro. You’re en route with that one.

1 Like

Hi,
I enjoyed you word on this one and it is a big undertaking. It would seem you have most of the parts down and in pretty good shape. There are spots where your chords are very soft. To me it is clear you do have a good foundation to build off of, just need a lot more glue to pull it all together. That glue is practice… Probably not telling you much there.

All the best with Zep!
LB

1 Like