E Chord fingering lesson vs practice song

Greetings,
I’m a total noob, this is a great site and lessons, thanks!
I’m on the Beginner Lesson 3 module and in the lesson Justin shows the Em chord finger position using fingers two and three, however in the practice songs the fret board indicates to use fingers one and two, which is defiantly easier when switching to Am.
Why the discrepancy?

1 Like

As per the lesson start with getting a good sound Em Chord using the regular fingering, using 2nd and 3rd fingers. Once you’re confident with the chord changes using regular fingering, you can experiment with the alternative fingers as well, using 1st and 2nd fingers. As you practice, you’ll find out which fingering is most comfortable for you! It’ll depend on the chords you play before and after the E Minor chord. Not sure where the practice songs refer to fingering? Are you using the song app?

I assume he has us using finger 2&3 for a reason and practicing chords changes using those fingers, no?

As James says, as you progress you might use different fingerings depending on which chord you’re coming from/going to.

I’m currently learning a song that goes from Em to F#m and back to Em so I’m playing Em with fingers 3&4 so I can then slide them up the neck for part of the barre F#m then back down to Em.

Fingers 2&3 will make good sense the majority of the time. Switching across to Am should be easy from that position as fingers 2&3 just move across a string and you just place your first finger down on String 2. Justin usually has a good reason for teaching you a particular way to do things BUT it might not be apparent straight away.