Em to D advice please

Here’s an out of the box approach:
As you’ve spent a lot of time practicing this chord change, your brain is learning, but you’re not seeing the results yet. Switch for one week, play a D7 chord instead. It will still sound good and might be easier to nail since you’re kind of leading with your index finger. After a week or more, return to the regular D chord that was a challenge. I would bet that you find it easier to get after the break. Many reasons why this happens in neural learning and motor performance.

1 Like

Try doing one minute changes but put your 3rd finger down first… feels kinda awkward at first. I had this problem with the G chord.

1 Like

Have you come across Justin’s lesson on Air Changes?

3 Likes

Right now I simply would not worry , If you only started in March this year and it’s only just April. You should still be doing your OMC’s until you get to 60+ and it doesn’t matter how long you practice a single piece of music. You will get there, I play almost every piece every day when time permits. Give yourself time, lots more time.

R

2 Likes

Whenever I’m learning a chord change I think about what needs to move where. For Em to D you have the first 2 fingers side by side. For these to become D they have to slide across the fretboard and until the 1st finger is on the G and the second finger keeps going to the high E. Finally the 3rd finger slots between them , just 1 fret across.
For me hitting the G string accurately is the key because the rest just follows

1 Like

Paul - I addressed this exact same issue with these exact same two chords in a previous reply here:

4 Likes

If your main difficulty is the B string, try doing repeated E- D chord changes, with your index anchoring on the G string. That will train your other two fingers to go to the correct strings. When you have that pat, lift the anchor finger on the E so it becomes E minor?

2 Likes

on the G string?

BTW: this seems like an excellent idea!

1 Like

Haha, typo sorted :rofl:
Good to see you’re still on the ball.
Cheers, Richard, have a good weekend :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Alexeyd,

Thanks for the advice and taking time out to help. Much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Paul

1 Like

Hi ontime1969,

Some great advice thank you. Justins videos do make it easier and as you said yourself, there is not one for this song, unfortunately. Having said that, I suppose we all have to learn to learn without watching others eventually so in a way trying to learn by ourselves, working out things on our own is in a way a valuable lesson.

Best Regards,
Paul

1 Like

Hi dblinden,

Yes, I see how you are thinking. From the suggestions given in this thread I will be adding quite a few things to my practice notes. Thank you for taking time out to help out. It is much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Paul

Hi dave999,

Thanks, I have added this to my exercise list. You are correct, it is awkward but even after a couple minutes practice it starts to come together. Thank you for taking time out to help.

Best Regards,
Paul

Hi theoldman66,

No I have not come across this…thanks! I have the finger gym and pinky workout as part of my exercises but never seen this so will take a look. Thanks again!

Best regards,
Paul

Hi Libitina,

Yep, even though I do lessons set out on the guitar app, I guess I have concentrated too much on this one song and trying to get there too quickly. A post earlier in this thread mentioned it is not about speed. Justin quite often mentions that to and I should really head that advice and will going forward. Thank you for taking time out to offer your advice.

Best Regards,
Paul

1 Like

Hi mattswain,

Thank you for the advice. At the moment my 3rd finger feels like it is glued to my second finger. I will get there thanks to yours and many others help on this forum.

Best Regards,
Paul

1 Like

Hi Richard_close2u,

Thank you Richard, that is very helpful. Sorry I did not spot this before. I am in work at mo but will take a read on returning home later. Many thanks.

Best Regards,
Paul

Hi brianlarsen,

I will add this to my exercise routine and give it a go. Thanks for taking time out to help out. It is much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Paul

Try practising with a capo up the neck, perhaps at fret 5. That way your fingers won’t have so far to move between changes. Then gradually move the capo back down the neck.

1 Like

Yes! Use the 1 minute app that Justin has in the App Store….put that in your daily practice routine.

1 Like