F Chord Cheats

Mini F is a little beast. I‘m also doing better on the full barre F. Although, after several weeks of practice the mini does ring out clearly from time to time :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Given up on the mini f barre. I’m just using Fmaj7 for now whilst I practice the full F barre

1 Like

Hi All,

I gradually started learning the Big F but I am confused about the two versions below that I like to use (and currently learn), especially when changing to and from C. Can somebody experienced please shed some light :slight_smile: What is the difference between those two and why and when to use either?

Thank you!

image - image

1 Like

Hi @ScorpioBG The F chord is usually played with the bottom four strings and the top two strings muted.

1 Like

Yavor @ScorpioBG
I am working through the theory course and I think I have got far enough to answer at least some of your query.
Taking the last chord box, it is a 7th chord as it contains the Root, 3rd, 5th and 7th of the F major scale but the 5th on the fifth string is the lowest note which happens to be the note C and therefore this is shown as forward slash C /C.
As to the first chord box, not totally sure but it does contain all of the notes for F major chord but again C is lowest note rather than F , so might be called F/C, Richard @Richard_close2u is that correct.
Michael

1 Like

Be careful - make sure to call it maj7 (not 7 which always implies dominant 7).

Correct - albeit you accidentally wrote C / C.

Yes.

@ScorpioBG
The chord diagram showing both E strings muted is wholly an F major chord, but a slash chord F/C.
That said, muting the high E string is perhaps a more difficult technique than playing a mini barre. But it is still a good and valid chord to play - if you do not want to hear the top note F within the chord sounding out.

3 Likes

Thanks Richard @Richard_close2u
As always keeping us right on theory, I was sort of aware that there are different 7th chords, will have a bit of look at this in a bit more detail.
Must confess the very last thing I thought I would be doing when I started to learn the guitar would be answering queries on theory. It is a fascinating subject and the logic of it appeals to my engineers mind.
Michael

2 Likes

Yavor @ScorpioBG
When to use different versions of the F chord, for me if you are not taking an exam on a song then it often comes down to personal choice or ease of changes between other chords.
I wouldn’t decry what Justin calls F chord “cheats” I think even that little know guitarist Eric Clapton uses them if you look on his video of his Unplugged album.
Michael :grinning:

1 Like

For me also the regular F chord is easier than “Mini” F. My first finger just couldn’t press both strings at the same time, one of them wasn’t ringing properly (buzzing or not playing at all).
My way around it was to place fingers in reverse order - I place the 3rd finger first, then 2nd finger and then with 3rd and 2nd finger placed my 1st finger is most of the time able to press both strings hard enough so that they play cleanly :slight_smile:
Just wanted to share it in case it helps someone else ( I personally found some of the comments in other lessons helpful ).

I have come back from the future to recommend that one should take time to learn mini F. I am early in grade three (module 17).

I found mini F harder than the F barre chord so ignored it for a while (thinking I would stick with the barre chord) and then during consolidation decided I better learn it. I am very glad I did. It really helps when you get to Triads in module 17.

I think everything Justin includes in the lessons is there for a reason, the skills build on each other later.

Also, the mini F is the basis of the thumb-over-the-top F, which is very common in folk/blues fingerpicking and also in Hendrix-inspired rock guitar.

Hello there, 1 year guitarist here, I am just concerned about learning the songs in the website, in the lesson Justin says to practice them, but I find it hard to memorize them and keep it in the repertoire, I am more into rock music so I spend my time learning more songs by bon jovi, Metallica, and other amazing bands , I do try and play the songs with the video in the practice routines. I just have not learnt the, to be able to play it somewhere, is that bad? Should I learn the songs fully or is it ok for me to move on?

You have the ability to time travel! In that case I need you to go back 20 years and tell me to learn F barre chord. I have spent my whole life ignoring the barre chord version of F and playing mini f and its hard to break old habits. Its not even a barre chord thing. I can comfortably play F sharp, Bm ect…

Seriously, my advice to people is to learn all the different variations of chords that Justin teaches. Having a few different ways of playing a chord will pay off in the long run and make your guitar playing sound better.

1 Like

@Richard_close2u @DavidP guys probably want to move @Ironmanfan post to another thread.

@Ironmanfan I would practice a song until you can play through it fully and with fluency. I would make sure you have a chord sheet at least and then keep your chord sheets (either electronically or on paper) together so you’ve got all your songs chord sheets to reference when you want to. It’s not unusual just to need a reminder of a song if you haven’t played it for a while.

Now in terms of whether you intend to play it somewhere that all depends on what your goals are. If it’s just to entertain yourself then play it to whatever standard you want. If you have ambitions to perform for others you need to have the song nice and fluent so you can play through it easily without even thinking about it (doesn’t need to be complicated). As as soon as you’re in front of people it’s a different pressure.

I will practice them thoroughly, thanks very much. Another small question that popped in my head, I’m currently in beginner 2 module 9, I tried some of the grade 2 songs Justin has recommended, I can play parts of them but not the whole thing, the grade 1 songs I find are easy because I completed it entirely. Does this mean the songs are intended to work one grade back? Meaning when I finish grade 2 completely, all the grade 2 songs should be less of a challenge than when I was doing grade 2.

I would sort of say yes but it depends on what you class as getting to the end of a module. When I was going through the course I always thought of it as three phases so I’m absorbing the material in the latest module,and learning new techniques e.g module 2, whilst I’m still practicing and improving techniques from module 1 and learning songs from that module too ( or even earlier). Remember it does not take long to go through the lessons and “learn” the basic techniques BUT it’ll take you weeks if not months to become competent.

That is one way to look at it, however what I wouldn’t recommend is waiting until the end of the grade 2 before playing the grade 2 songs. Playing songs is the best way to learn the skills you need.

1 Like

Question - with the mini F chord, do you roll your first finger to an angle to get the harder side like is recommended with the Barre F or just press on the B and e strings really hard? I find it easier to make those two strings ring out when rolling the tip of my first finger but find it hard to change to other. chords like the Am and D. Just pressing down hard is pretty hard for me but makes those chord changes easier. I’ve watched the video and can’t really tell but it seems like Justin is just pressing down without rolling the tip of his first finger, but it’s not really clear.

I do neither. I press with my index finger flattened and only with as much pressure as needed to make the strings ring out. You should never have to press hard on your strings. Have you ever had you guitar set up?
This may help

Thanks for the response. No, the guitar hasn’t had a set up and that’s a good idea. I will have that done.
I did change the strings from 12’s to 11’s on my acoustic this morning and I’m finding it easier to press the B and e string and get them ringing out. I don’t have to press down very hard when I come to it fresh but my fretting hand gets tired after a short while and that’s when the the chord starts coming out muted. It’s like I haven’t built up very much stamina with my hand strength yet. Thanks for letting me know how you play the mini F, it helps a lot.
I watched the video again just now and he clearly says “using the pad of the first finger”. I missed that before. I am finding it a challenge to flatten my first finger while arching my second an third, but angling the fingers like when forming a C chord helps. I’m not used to it yet so it feels very strange.