Finger Style First Steps

Hi Hunter,

Welcome to the community!
Looks like this question got lost. :slight_smile:

The way Justin has the lesson set up is to play the root on your thumb, then strings 3, 2, 1 on fingers 1, 2, 3. i am not far enough to know, but I suspect this is just to get us started.

You may be past this by now, but I had a hard time getting used to chord changes. I found that a very slow picking cadence for 2-4 bars then making a simple change like E to A was really difficult. It took me at least a week of doing this to eliminate the pause on painfully slow picking. After I got over the initial pause, i could speed up pretty well, and the next problem to resolve is targetting fingers accurately enough to not have an adjacent string knock into them. Missing it not very forgiving when each note is distinct!

1 Like

Is it okay if i rest my hand on the bridge of guitar? Will it make problems later on?

1 Like

Hi Mickey,
It is not the intention that you lean your hand on the bridge, ā€¦ I also suffer from this with some songs and Justin himself pointed this out to a song i was playing, ā€¦ but my Ibanez has little space and then it sometimes happens,ā€¦ but usually I play a little too much on the fretboard (I find myself, but more people do that and often consciously)ā€¦
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

I bought a guitar off a guy that had a habbit of resting his hand on the bridge. Said it caused problems when the guitar has a floating bridge.

1 Like

The only time I have the palm of my hand touching the saddle is when Iā€™m palm muting so that the bass doesnā€™t over power the melody.

2 Likes

I donā€™t get you, could you explain it a bit more :slight_smile: Thanks

1 Like

Hi ,
often I play just a little too far on the neck of the guitar,ā€¦especially (or maybe only) with fingerstyle that is a bit difficultā€¦usually we play between the bridge and where the neck/fretboard starts,ā€¦
Hope it`s clear so?
Greetings,ā€¦

2 Likes

For fingerstyle Iā€™ve found the best sound to come from picking just beyond the edge of the sound hole at the side closest to the bridge

1 Like

Hi, the closer you play to the bridge the flatter it will sound, if you donā€™t mind then nothing wrong with that as itā€™s all a personal preference, but just be wary of that before you hook yourself up on particular area of your guitar.

This is an interesting question. I am working on mostly finger style blues and the bass notes are usually muted, so my right hand touches the saddle.

I have found that I like to have some kind of anchor for my right hand, and leaning it against the saddle serves that purpose. If I donā€™t want palm muting, I tend to put my right pinky on the soundboard as an anchor. This works well for me if I am not using my ring finger for anything, which is how I learned. Recently, Iā€™ve tried using all three of index, middle and ring fingers, and in that case the pinky anchor doesnā€™t work as well (my ring finger and pinky are not fully independent).

1 Like

Yes i have the same problem. For me itā€™s much more comfortable to play if i lay my hand on the bridge. That way i have more control over the strings.

1 Like

Unless you are intentionally muting the bass strings then you donā€™t want to have your right hand touching the saddle. When muting the bass you need to make sure that you are only muting the bass strings.

@adi_mrok makes a great point about the differences in sound. You want to be able to vary the position of the picking hand depending on the desired tone i.e. bright tone or warmer tone. I think in this lesson Justin even mentions about exploring the positioning of the picking hand and tone.

For what itā€™s worth I would be inclined to say at this stage in learning fingerstyle to not lay your hand on the bridge.

1 Like

I would suggest to use little finger as a support/pivot below the sound hole. Using bridge doesnā€™t sound right and can lead to wrong habit.

1 Like

Just had to express surprise and bewilderment that Mark Knopfler and Jeff Beck could be considered obscure, but I guess that must mean Iā€™m meant to be a guitarist!

This was another lesson I mightā€™ve been tempted to skip, as I started out learning classical guitar for many years. But as always, there were gems to be had here that I didnā€™t know, like the anchor finger, experimenting with where to play, and that itā€™s okay not to have longer nails. So, Iā€™m quite glad Iā€™m working through all of these so that I donā€™t miss anything!

The fingerstyle song Iā€™ve been striving for a while to play is ā€œDust in the Windā€ by Kansas (the person who sold me my classical guitar played it as a demo). It is probably not one I would recommend for many beginners because the picking pattern is very unusual, but itā€™s easier than it sounds once you get the hang of the pattern, and itā€™s also filled with sus chords if you want to exercise that.

Indeed, I think the only real reason Iā€™ve been struggling with it for so many years is just that I keep trying to play it faster than I really can. So now, Iā€™m keeping it at a slower tempo where I can play it almost perfectly and Iā€™ll only increase it when I get comfortable (think that was another Justin tip from an earlier lesson). Weā€™ll see how that goes!

2 Likes

huntersmith14:

When picking a chord do you play every bass note in the chord or just the root note? Like on the E chord you would are usually hitting the notes on the second and third strings in the second fret. Do you not play these using this pattern and just pluck the the low E string with your thumb?

Not sure what you mean by ā€œevery bass note in the chord.ā€ Thereā€™s only one root. That being said, the importance of the notes depends a bit on your situation. The root is generally the most important, generally followed by the 3rd, then the 5th (for an E chord, E is the root, G# is the 3rd, and B is the 5th).

However, if you are playing with a bass player who is already covering the root, the need to play the root is lessened considerably. And for many rock/pop songs, the 5th is often more important than the 3rd for chords where your ear can tell by context of the previous chords whether this chord is supposed to be major/minor. For jazz (or blues sometimes), the 7th or even 9th might become more important than the 5th, depending on the chord and the context within the song. Perhaps more than even the root if you have a bass player, meaning the 3rd and 7th are often the two most important notes. But sometimes this is so even without a bass player in an extremely traditional non-jazzy song, as you can see in the 2nd-to last note in ā€œHappy Birthdayā€ thatā€™s coming up soon in this module).

Anyway, this might be getting ahead of what you meant. The way Justin suggests you start is to have your thumb and 3 picking fingers on strings that are all next to each other with your thumb on the root. So, for the E chord, youā€™d play the low E string with your thumb, the 2nd fret B with your pointer finger, 3rd fret E with your middle finger, and 4th fret G# with your ring finger (with pinky optionally anchoring on the body).

Once youā€™ve gotten comfortable with playing that, you can look into deciding what notes to play and what notes to skip. For example, notice that the 3rd fret E is redundant with the E on the thumb, so you could skip over that. Of course, if you do, that means your ring finger is playing a B thatā€™s redundant with the lower B.

What to do? Well, as Justin often suggests, the best way to figure out what notes you should skip is to use your ears. Me, I think the best sounding ways to play it are 1) with the lowest 4 strings as above, and 2) with the thumb on the E and the other fingers on the three thinnest strings. But what you like best might be different.

2 Likes

Hi ! A question about fake fingernails. I was not planing to learn fingerstyle playing at all. But watching Justins video saying he used faked fingernails for years talks to me. Iā€™m thinking about give it a try. Some questions. Do I just buy a finger nails kit (on Amazon) or do I have to go to a professional shop ? Are there special kinds of fake finger nails (for guitaristsā€¦) ? If somebody have some experience in this area and wants to give me some hints ā€¦ youā€™re welcome to express yourself :grinning: . If nobody writes, I will just give it a try and buy a finger nails kit on Amazon. And weā€™ll see. Have a good day everybody ! :pray:

1 Like

Fake fingernails that are not applied properly can allow fungus to grow on your nails and if not treated can destroy your nail bed killing your fingernails.

My wife worked in a full service Salon that did fake nails and had seen first hand what can happen when people tried to save a few dollars by applying nail themselves.
Let a professional nail tech apply them. Or just use your nails or fingertips.

2 Likes

Thank you Rick ! Very important informations ! Thanks a lot !

2 Likes

A great beginner fingerstyle song to begin learning on using the D-Chord is ā€œinto Dustā€ by Mazzy Star. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCF9iJJRtaU

Iā€™m 72
Iā€™ve picked up the guitar above 3 years ago. Iā€™m slowly picking it up, and just got to finger style and picking it well but slowly.
Stephen

1 Like