Fingerpicks - recommendations

I fear, thatā€™s necessary to get the ones that fit. Iā€™d absulutely prefer to play without any fingerpicks at allā€¦ but everytime my nails are long enough, they easily breakā€¦

So Iā€™ve started taking biotin and it has helped with my nail strength. Get the chewables. My wife tells me itā€™s something you have to take on the regular and not stop. It has been working very well for me. Also helps with hair!

1 Like

Thanks, Jonathan!

1 Like

Hello Andrea, Iā€™m reading this only nowā€¦

I can relate to thisā€¦itā€™s true itā€™s more difficult with chords. As Rogier I think persistence and perseverance will pay off in the long runā€¦so I just keep on trying. Have you checked Justinā€™s lesson on how to strum without a pick? There are different options there to explore.
As for nails, I try to cut them quite frequently, so that I donā€™t risk the breacking, theyā€™re never too longā€¦it took me a while to understand how long/short is required to pick comfortably.

Definetely on the same boatā€¦Letā€™s share if we find new solutions.

3 Likes

Dā€™Addario celluloid thumb & finger picks work for me. They come in medium & large. Medium feels as snug as mousetraps on my relatively thin fingers.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer @Twin_Six, reminds me, that I should post a little update. As I had some problems with picking chords (not individual strings), I readded it to my practice routine a few weeks ago and thanks to working on it almost daily, my fingertips on the picking hand got a little harder, not as remarkable as callouses, but getting slightly harder than before and I developped a lot more ā€œgripā€ with my fingertips. I think, I might be on a good way, currently hitting Rolling Chords in Grade 3 and it works quite satisfying. After all, like everything elseā€¦ itā€™s hopefully only a matter of practice and perseveranceā€¦ I put the thought of fingerpicks on hold for now. Hopefully, I wonā€™t need them. But thanks for your contribution, I will keep it in mind!

1 Like