First electric guitar

I didn’t mean to be dismissive. I play lots of different songs from different genres as well. I just don’t concern myself with trying to achieve the same tone as the guitarists on the recording for each song. I’m working on playing them well with the tone I have dialed in (not that I’ve accomplished playing them well, either!)

You know: smooth, correct chord changes; currently working on being able to do small lead fills at appropriate times and then transitioning back to rhythm. I’m concerned with whether what I’m doing works, not if my tone is the same. I’m guess I’m not good enough to concern myself with sounding like the recording artists, and I don’t want to spend a bunch of my practice time fiddling with the amp to change the way my guitar sounds for every song. I just want to be playing.

3 Likes

Sorry, but I agree with @markr31 here. Note that he said “every time they sit down to practice”.

He wasn’t dismissing that there are occasions where one should explore their amp settings, or that some may want to.

Nor is he suggesting that you shouldn’t touch your amp at all.

But, once you have your amp set up, you shouldn’t need to spend more than 30 seconds to a minute messing with your amp before starting on a typical practice session. Most of that will be selecting a channel/patch and tweaking the volume or gain.

If, as a beginner, you are spending much more time than this every time you turn on your amp to do some practice, then I would question your time management.

By “practice”, here I am referring to technique practice such as scales, strumming patterns, chord changes, etc. which, as a beginner, you should be doing. You might chose to switch between channels/patches for some of these (e.g. you might want to practice scales with higher gain than for strumming) but none of these require that you “dial in a tone”. If you don’t have a quick way to set your amp up for this sort of practice then you are, IMO, doing something wrong.

And, as has been pointed out, even for songs it should be possible to have a set of 3 or 4 main patches that you can easily select for song practice which cover a wide range of genres.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t learn and explore your amp, but it shouldn’t be a distraction from practice.

Cheers,

Keith

3 Likes

Absolutely and that’s why I would usually suggest something like an Orange crush 20 or 35 RT, nothing much to mess with but some great easily done tones.

2 Likes

I was watching this video (The Best "Beginner Guitar" is... - YouTube)

and he mentions how anything below around 250 for an electric guitar is not worth it and that 400-600 is the golden range.

Well a) this is in the united states where price values are lower compared to Canada and 2) this was 3 years ago. So my question is do I truly have to spend more than 450$ (probably more since i am in canada and 3 years have passed) to fee like I got a guitar that was “worth it”?

Tyler plays on some of the most exquisite, prestige, expensive guitars. His collection is WOW.
I do think he overstates the need to spend money to get something that is more than adequate and overlooks modest price guitars that actually fall in to the category of being not only good value but good.

There is almost universal consensus that Yamaha Pacifica guitars are fine instruments and many working musicians play on them. They do not cost 400-600.

1 Like

Yeah i feel as though his ear is just so tuned to certain guitars that he is biased when it comes to his preference for guitars haha. Someone like me who is just learning wouldn’t be as tuned to it, cheers!

2 Likes

I guess on your instruments have a hard life, if a bullet strat is good enough why not

$400 is probably around the price point where most guitars are playable straight from the box, however that’s not to say you can’t get a reasonable guitar for much less money, or that a $400 guitar won’t be badly setup.

The key thing is buying from a reputable store that will at least check the guitar is reasonably setup without any glaring problems.

I will also suggest having a look on local marketplaces (facebook, gumtree etc) as you might be lucky and find a good deal.

As I said in another thread:

Agreed.

I also said:

This was in response to someone suggesting his $800 model was a “beginners guitar” :astonished:

But it applies as general advice. If you want a great quality instrument and can afford it, something in the $400+ range should get you a really nice instrument.

But you can get a great instrument, which won’t restrict or compromise your learning and playing, for less than this. In the lower price ranges you need to be a bit more careful, and the guitar may need a good setup but, these days, you can get a decent instrument for $200.

Cheers,

Keith

you can bet these people are not playing a $200 bullet strat in the studio… !

Why not?

Mike Rutherford doesn’t play Bullet Strats because he can’t afford to play something better. He absolutely can afford to fill his touring guitar rack with high-end guitars, and he already has a big collection of guitars he could bring to gigs.

He plays Bullet Strats because he likes them.

If it’s the tone and feel he is looking for and the guitar is decent quality, then why wouldn’t he use it?

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Hi Aaron!

I had a look at the store you mentioned. I’m not sure what your budget is but the store has some pretty good options for guitars in the 300-500 CAD range.
All I could say is that I’d prefer a fixed bridge guitar than one with a vibrato bridge.

As for amps, again that depends on your budget. Marshall MG and Orange Crush are decent options. Solid state amps, not to expensive, sound decent, 2 channels footswitchable (not sure if the footswitch is included though). With 3 band EQ, volume, gain controls so nothing overwhelming. The only limitation is the absence of an effects loop but perhaps you can live with that for now.

I don’t know of they do sales there but if that’s an option you could do some research now and buy on sale when you can get more/better for the same money.

1 Like

I pointed out the Bullet because it’s a hard tail no trem to worry about and the pickups are the same as the Affinity, you don’t get better pickups and tuners until you go further up the range. The best of the Bullet series is the Mustang but the Strat and the Telecaster are nowhere near as bad as they used to be,

I bought that bullet from Amazon, knowing zip about guitars other than Fender and Gibson have been around forever. I got the black one as they only had that color and the sunburst. The mustang came in a lovely blue, but it was shorter and I wanted full size, being a tall person.

It seems to be adequate to me for what I know, though the 6th string often has an annoying buzz. (I know, find a luthier or something but I live in the sticks far away from real guitar peeps.)

I am pleased to hear they aren’t as bad as they used to be, being as I never knew they’d gone bad to begin with.

ETA: It cost me $159 US last November, pre tax.

The Orange Crush 35RT does have an FX loop, that’s why I usually recommend them over the 20RT, they also have a bigger speaker!

It’s easy to cure, buzzing is usually easy to stop by adjusting things, there are plenty of YT videos on how to fix it. In your circumstances it would be a good idea to learn, it also saves you lots of money!
Do you have the fixed bridge version or the one with a whammy bar?

1 Like

I have had a couple of hard tail Squier bullets which suited my needs at the time. The neck of one is now on a Japanese Strat body which I still play.

The good thing about a Strat is that you can upgrade it.

My first electric was an Ibanez semi but I soon bought a Fender Strat. Thus started the gear obsession…

Oh that’s great then! I wasn’t sure about that so thanks!
I might bag one in that case! Haha

1 Like

Do you have the fixed bridge version or the one with a whammy bar?

No whammy bar so I assume that makes it a fixed bridge? :smile:

I’ll look on YT. I have watched a couple videos on set up, which are very involved, but haven’t looked for just that particular problem. But I am an engineer, so I ought to be able to figure it out!

2 Likes

I’ll look and find an easy to understand one for you, BRB!

1 Like