First Jam session - report

So, it happened this evening, that session with the guy I’ve never met!

It went really well, as suspected he was much better than me, but it worked. I played the basic chords and sang, he played barre chords and a few picky bits he knew. Something that worked out well for me was he was happy to play the chords in the instrumental while I improvised a solo (I’ve got a few scales down and am perfectly happy improvising a minor pentatonic). He doesn’t actually want to improvise but maybe I can help him with that.

We played Nothing Else Matters which now has new solos by me :joy:, also had a go at Best of You (Foo fighters) and Everybody Hurts. Biscuits and coffee were consumed. It’s was a fun 90 mins.

So, I can’t have been too annoying because he wants to do it again and suggested we pick a new song every week or so and keep on with the ones we like.

Definitely recommend trying this if you get the opportunity, will keep me on my toes and introduce me to some new music too!

:smiley::heart_eyes::guitar:

18 Likes

That’s excellent. I joined a music club when I was first learning and had lots of fun and learned so much at the jams.

1 Like

Thats fantastic news Liz.
Congratulations for your courage in grabbing the opportunity.

1 Like

Excellent, just the job to bring your journey down the guitar path more quickly! You’re already learning very quickly but doing this will boost your confidence, make you want to play all the more and improve yourself.

1 Like

That sounds absolutely marvellous Liz and your plans for future jam sound great too.

1 Like

Sounds wonderful, Liz. So glad you enjoyed it and more are on the cards.

1 Like

Why am I always reminded of Freddie Mercury singing Don’t Stop me Now! when I read your latest post? :laughing:

1 Like

Great news Liz and sounds like it went well.

1 Like

Hey, I don’t mind being associated with that song at all and love singing it so that’s totally fine! :joy:

1 Like

Sounds super cool great stuff!

1 Like

Sounds like a productive session; excellent! :smiley:

1 Like

Sounds like a great time was had by all. How nice to have a jam buddy.

1 Like

Fantastic Liz. Glad it really worked well. Makes me think of Frank Sinatra but we won’t go there! Sounds like you had a good experience and I would think it will help you develop and learn from his strengths. Not an improvisor ? Well you can set him straight on that and maybe point him to Justin’s courses if he’s not been here (website) already.

Looking forward to updates and maybe some audible evidence of progress :wink:

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

Sounds like a bunch of fun to me!

I am happy for you Liz and as others have said, looking forward to hearing more stories and potentially some recordings!

1 Like

Glad the Jam session worked out well for you @LizW

This is something that I need to do myself, having never played with anyone else as yet, 2 years into my guitar journey. Easier said than done though, you are fortunate to have found your jam buddy. :+1:

1 Like

I found him by just telling everyone I was after someone to play with. Helps that I have about 40 students to tell though granted! Let’s face it, the last 2 years have not been good for meeting up with people and finding new friends!

2 Likes

I’ll try and do something soon but I’m now trying hard to learn songs I’ve never even heard of :joy:

1 Like

Liz learning songs outside your “norm” is a good ear opener and will expand your knowledge of chord progressions. Then you will hear those progressions turning up in the stuff you like.
With only 12 notes in the chromatic scale there is so much overlap. It just took me 50 years to realise it.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

That sounds like great fun, Liz, it’s nice to be able to play music with friends.

1 Like

I have been searching for guitar groups near me to play with others but there are none. I have tried searching online but all I am getting is advertisements from guitar teachers. I do have a friend who teaches guitar and has been giving me zoom lessons in addition to me following Justin’s course, but he lives too far away to meet up for face to face sessions. However, we are hopeful that we will be able to finally get together sometime this year.