Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Studio

There are other options, to consider used by members of the Community. I stand to be corrected but pretty sure there are free DAWs that are fully functional, comparable to a Pro Tools or Logic.

Cakewalk by Bandlab is fully functional and free.

2 Likes

Hi @DavidP ,
Last week i got my focusrite 4i4 . and to download Avid -pro Tools was not possible anymore
So i started with Ableton,ā€¦and my 8 years old computer is now out of order :see_no_evil:
it must be a coincidence, but while downloading and updating all kinds of things,ā€¦a permanent white screenā€¦my wife can now access the photos again, but that is also the case a little bit of everythingā€¦Iā€™m now tapping her brand new laptopā€¦but I donā€™t get permission (yet??) to use hers :grimacing:ā€¦
Iā€™ll try again next week, but Iā€™m really a computerā€¦ :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Roger, one of the things that Reaper is noted for is how effectively and efficiently it uses PC resources. You can check that out here

@Matt125 just mentioned Bandlabā€™s Cakewalk, which is free, and perhaps it may also be more suitable on an older PC than the latest version of Ableton.

1 Like

Roger, I also should have said until just recently I used Reaper with projects that were more than just a couple of tracks with a PC with 8GB of RAM. Eventually that proved inadequate for my biggest projects with the plugins I was using, but that would not be an issue for you. Probably even less memory would be fine for initial simple single or two track recordings you may be making.

Thanks, iā€™ll look into it.
But it still feels a bit of a shame, I also bought the 4i4 because it would come with an extra good software package (you pay for it anyway).
But I think my computer really diedā€¦at least I hope soā€¦then I can buy a fresh one

BandLab has two products, one is called Catwalk which is a full functioning DAW, the other is call BandLab itself. I am using BandLab, the good thing is that it is cloud and web based. I use iPad or iPhone to do the recording which is more convenient for me, and then use windows PC to do the editing. The other feature I have not tried is the collaboration, which may be something our community members can look into.

@DavidP Thank you for the little essay David, A+ for you. :smiley:

I am a laptop user and I want to learn a product and stick with it, so thank you for the warning about the products that come with the Focusrite.

I will go with Reaper as I remember it being recommended before (possibly by you) and like I have said, I donā€™t want to spend hours learning a product and then having to re-learn another down the line due to restrictions or high cost implications.

My 2i2 should be with me tomorrow. Exciting times!

3 Likes

My pleasure, Stefan.

I assume the laptop is running MS Windows.

I am a Reaper user and there are many regulars here who also use it. So that plus its resource usage and its video tutorials make it a good choice.

But I canā€™t comment on Cakewalk. Perhaps worth taking a look at it as an alternative?

But if you just go with Reaper I donā€™t think it be a bad call.

I stand to be corrected but you may find that the light version of Ableton is available to all, so paid for.

When I bought mine it came with a digital instrument piano which would cost to buy plus some other plugins that I think are not free.

No idea if that is the case. But Iā€™d view the price as being for the AI.

Hi David,
So the ā€œfreeā€ software is available to everyone :see_no_evil:
Now i feel a little :relaxed:ā€¦thanks for your inputā€¦again.
In that caseā€¦Reaperā€¦is it going to be it,as soon as I get a new computerā€¦or the old one works again.
@SgtColon ā€¦Stefan.Iā€™m curious about your findings, please post them here,ā€¦good luck with the installation, and have fun with it,
Greeting ,Rogier

Roger, just had a quick check and perhap there used to be a light version but not anymore. So you were right, I was wrong.

Just did the check on Pro Tools and see they have discontinued their free light version.

So maybe back in 2017 when I purchased my 2i2 perhaps the lite versions were freely available. And maybe that change is now why you only had a license to Abletonā€™s.

1 Like

Ableton ā€œlightā€ and other light versions of DAW tend to be provided as parts of various hardware dealsā€¦ basically anything that comes with an AI whether itā€™s an amp or pure AI.

To be honest Iā€™ve never really hit any limitations with Ableton light. The full fat version includes some addition features and most importantly a huge library of effects. However any VST2 or 3 plug-in work and there are a huge number of free ones.

In terms of learning one product over the other they all basically work the same and itā€™s understanding the workflow ( which applies to all DAW) that is key.

2 Likes

Ok guys, thanks for the clarificationsā€¦ iā€™m going to let it sink in, and maybe other people will add more information, but i have to wait for the laptop repair, or my wifeā€™s going to use ā€¦ and then first try that ableton again, if that works then thatā€™s fine, otherwise I use Reaperā€¦

I assume you confirmed your computer meets minimum spec for Ableton:

• Windows 10 (Build 1909 and later)
  • IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i5 processor or an AMD multi-core processor.
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 1366x768 display resolution

Yes,but thanks for the reminder,i hxte computer stuff like thisā€¦but unfortunately no idea yet what is going wrong with my computer,ā€¦although it is getting a bit more life,ā€¦it seems that the last update flattened everythingā€¦but during the installation van de Ableton stopped this process every time (2x) just before the end ā€¦ weā€™ll see laterā€¦

1 Like

Thanks again peeps for all the help.

@DavidP Yes, my machine is a Windows one.

@roger_holland I will let you know what I think of Reaper when Iā€™ve had a play.

1 Like

Iā€™m just setting up my 2i2 and Iā€™m following the part on the video tutorial where it is showing me how to record.

Now the guy is inserting two tracks, one for vocal and one for guitar. He then names that tracks and he then chooses which input to to use but when I insert two new tracks no options come up for inputs, it just says ā€œcentreā€ in the area.

Did anyone else have this problem?

Thanks.

Stefan. I think you said youā€™d install Reaper as your DAW. If so to see inputs you need to ā€˜armā€™ the track for recording. Thatā€™s the red circle button on the left of the track.

I encourage you to watch some Kenny videos on getting started. Sure it will save time in the long run. Those are the video tutorials on Reaper website.

2 Likes

Thank you @DavidP that worked a treat. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m just working through the setup videoā€™s on the Focusrite website.

2 Likes

Great, Stefan. My experience in setting up my 2i2 was that following the installation instructions step-by-step worked fine. If I recall correctly there were some specific instructions as to how to sequence the ASIO driver installation and when to plug the interface into the computer.

And once the driver was installed then it was simple enough in Reaper Preferences to select the appropriate driver and that set me up to record in Reaper from my 2i2, with the option to pick Input 1 or 2 once the track was armed.

2 Likes