Four chords app - The second beat does not make sense for the strumming pattern old faithful. Can someone check my logic please?

Hi,

I am using the four chords app to learn the song Arctic Monkeys - 505.

The song uses the strumming pattern “old faithful”

On a bar of music the chords appear like this on screen

DM DM

The second DM appears to be on beat 3. But for the old faithful strumming pattern you do not strum on beat 3. Strum is on 1 2& 4&

I am very confused, am I misunderstanding something?

I have uploaded a screenshot to help explain as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to the community Adam.
Listen to the original recording. Strumming pattern are not the
answer to everthing. Either the chord changes on the third beat
but isn’t played right away or the strumming pattern changes
to fit the chord change in.
The important thing is to stay in time.

@stitch thanks for the help. As long as I get beat 1 correct is it not worth worrying about the second chord which shows up?

As I am so new to the guitar I find it hard to know if I am on time or not. Are there any lessons that teach timing and how to understand and know if you are in time with a song?

Hi Adam, welcome to the community. I’m fairly new as well. I find it very useful, once I have the chord progression and strumming pattern down, to work on the song using a metronome. Then I look up on YouTube a live version of the song I’ve been learning and play along tapping my foot in synch.

Hi Adam, although you do not strum on beat 3 that’s when you make the chord change, so the Dm is in place ready for the up strum. Hope that helps. :sunglasses:

Hi @TheMadman_tobyjenner.

I have read what you have written 4-5 times but not sure I am understanding correctly.

To clarify when the vertical timing line hits the second DM (beat 3) I should be doing a down strum which misses? Bit confused why the app shows a strum being done on the threat board on that second DM.

Thank you for your help.

It has been a long day so apologies if I am not understanding the obvious :joy:

Thanks for everyone’s warm welcome and help :slightly_smiling_face:

Adam

I do not use the app but fully understand old faithful DDU_UD

So if you are strumming as instructed your hand is constantly moving, regardless whether you touch the strings. So you start the bar on Em and change to Dm yes ?
So on Em you strum DDU then change to Dm on beat 3 and strum UD

Think of it another way and add a down strum on the 3ed beat the pattern becomes DDUDUD
So the bold D is beat three and is the Dm. Try doing that a few times and then miss the strings on the D you’re then back to DDUUD. Changing the chord as if its being played on the 3rd beat gives you time to have it down before the up strum which is the 3+ (!+2+3+4+).

:sunglasses:

1 Like

@AdamWilko have you watched the lesson on Justin’s website?

1 Like

I haven’t, had no idea that existed will take a look