Frito's Learning Log

You can always try Fmaj7 instead of F. It’s easier to play and may well sound good.

1 Like

Same shape different root, so nail one you nail them both ! You get a two for one. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yeah. My pinky just doesn’t like to go places, in unison on the fly. it likes to hammer on sus chords and such but not follow a pattern of the other fingers. I guess the upside is that basic embellishments come fairly easy to me.

1 Like

Well you will just have to have words with it !! Just take it steady, try a F# to Bm one minute change as they are in the same fret. Get used to just carrying the barre from 6th string to 5th and back again. When you get proficient at that, then try to go F to Bm, so you are going down and across. Just take it all slow, that is the secret.

Cheers

Toby
:

2 Likes

Thanks for the idea Toby. :+1: I modified it a bit tonight and am going to try this for a week or two before getting back into the barre (hmm, well maybe I will grab a drink :wink: ) I chose some songs on the app with AM, E and Em, I’m using fingers two, three and four on those chords instead of one, two and three. Also doing some one minute changes that way. Once I feel I can land those grips I’ll move it up the neck and throw on the barre.

2 Likes

I broke out the Gretsch hollow body last night so I could get some practice in while watching a hockey game without disturbing the family. I’ve been using mainly my 12 string for the past many months which I think has helped. A lot of things I’ve been struggling with on the 12 weren’t nearly as difficult on the Gretsch. I am still practicing standard chord grips using fingers 2, 3 and 4 instead of 1, 2 and three. I’m doing this to 1) engage my pinky and build its dexterity and, 2) hopefully help with fluid barre chord changes down the road.

I was able to play Signs a whole lot better on the Gretsch than I have been able to on the 12 string which gave me bit of a confidence boost. It’s not quite to where I want to post AVoYP but it’s getting close.

3 Likes

Well, this was unplanned. Yesterday while running errands, I stopped in a guitar resale shop. I played a few six string acoustics and found a D’Angelo that sounded pretty good for dirt cheap. I almost bought it on the spot but didn’t want to risk trouble with the boss.

So today after we bought her a treadmill, we decided to head to Guitar Center - the resale shop is closed on Sundays. She was a saint as I played at least 15 guitars. I kept going back to a particular Taylor. While I noticed differences in many of them that she didn’t pick up on, she could decidedly notice a difference with Taylor and said “all guitars sound different. If you like it you should get it while it’s still here”. Long story short, my fingers are quite sore and…

I came home with a Taylor 114E Grand Auditorium that just flat out sang to me. Here’s the Taylor next to my Sigma 12 String.

5 Likes

Happy NGD frito, looks stunning!

1 Like

Thanks. It sounds even better than it looks. I’ll try to get a video of a few different bits in the next couple days.

1 Like

Looks sweet frito. Congratulations. Happy boss, happy frito, its a big win all round! :love_you_gesture::grin:

1 Like

Whooo Hooooo Joe has a new guitar. So happy for you.

1 Like

Joe, the two together look like a match made in heaven. Wish you much joy and music with the new instrument.

1 Like

Cool happy NGD :blush:

1 Like

Excellent, happy NGD!

1 Like

Happy NGD Joe.

1 Like

Thanks everybody. It’s amazing how good some of the things I’ve been struggling with on the 12, and that don’t sound quite right unplugged on the hollow body, sound on the new Taylor.

And yes @sclay happy wife is a happy life. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Don’t believe you, Joe :wink:

1 Like

But David, how could he possibly convince you? There must be some way… if only…

Naaaah, I guess not. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Lovely! Happy NGD

1 Like

Yeah, yeah, yeah - here you go. :rofl:

5 Likes