Dro_1 - August 2022 - Gerudo Valley - Ocarina of Time soundtrack

Hi all,

Gerudo Valley theme is from the 90’s video game Ocarina of Time.

I had uploaded a few tunes over the last month, which I didn’t post in AVOYP because they were a bit obscure.
But this one has a spanishy type feel to it.
And it has been a while since I’ve posted anything in AVOYP, so I just decided to share this one here anyway.

For some reason I thought it was a good idea to record the lead/melody line first and then do the rhythm part after that :man_facepalming:

This made “mini-me” struggle with inconsistent strums in some sections where I was trying to keep up with (or not get ahead of) the notes that big-me had played.
So next time, I’ll probably make the smarter choice and record a consistent rhythm strum first, followed by the lead stuff after that.

Anyway, I think it sort of came together ok in the end though. But feedback, tips and general comments are welcome as always, thanks.

7 Likes

Hi Sandro…
On the whole I say what a happy and nice song :clap: :sunglasses: :bouquet:
Some notes and strums fall a bit silent/or disappear…if you can manage that to give even more clarity to almost all notes you have a killer song that looks pretty difficult :sweat_smile: :sunglasses:

In any case I enjoyed it and that solo you in large was perhaps difficult for you, but nice to see for me… :clap:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Ocarina of Time has such an amazing soundtrack and Gerudo Valley is one of my favorites. You played it really well and really have the dynamics down!

1 Like

Hi Sandro, it sounded very Spanish. I agree that trying to synchronize a melody to a rhythmic accompaniment could be easier than trying the opposite. I just recently started to playing rhythmic accompaniments along a drum machine or a backing track and is not easy, and my only attempt to play a melody over a rhythmic accompaniment was not so good as the chosen rhythmic accompaniment didn’t suit the melody. Not your case at all for this one.

1 Like

Awesome! I’m so impressed! A Zelda player from the very beginning, OoT is my all time favorite for many reasons, but one of which is the beautiful Gerudo area music. I can’t offer any feedback on technique, but I think it sounded great!

1 Like

Ey! Really great Sandro.

I really like the idea of doing covers of game soundtracks :slight_smile: And you have done a great job here.

As a Spanish member of the forum I agree that it has a vibe from our traditional music :dancer:

How did you learn the song? Any lesson or did you do it by ear?

Did you try to use a metronome to record it? It would be easier to sync both tracks

1 Like

Awesome, this was cool! I remember playing that game back in the day. Thanks! I have to agree it does sound Spanish which I like!

1 Like

That was great Sandro, it had a really flamenco like vibe and I surely enjoyed it. You are aware of what could be done better so no need to put any critique in here, keep up the good work!

1 Like

Hi Sandro,
Yeah, I think you ended up doing the reverse as far as laying your tracks down. Just a suggestion, but why not lay down a drum track, rhythm guitar and then lead? The drums or a click track in the ear only would be the glue that would hold all the timing together…

Also, I am hearing some notes out of tune? I notice in the video you are pushing up the strings quite a bit in some places. Not sure that is it, but you might want to look into it.

All in all a nice Spanish sounding type vibe to it and good job!

All the best,
LB

1 Like

@roger_holland thanks Rogier. Glad you enjoyed it.
Yeah my bass strings do occasionally have a harder time ringing out. But other times I probably don’t fully strike the string that I want to hit, or I might even be unintentionally muting the actual string :roll_eyes:

@alexisduprey @artax_2 cheers guys.
Cool to see some other Zelda fans here that know the song.
It’s definitely my favourite game too… I used to play OoT quite a lot as a kid. Not sure if it’s the nostalgia effect or what, but I’ve even gone back to play it again from time to time as an adult. Thanks for checking it out.

@dobleA @Rumil Gracias amigos.
I used an old gerudo valley tab sheet that I had kept from a few years ago (this was during my first failed guitar experience, when I decided to quit without learning a single basic chord :rofl: )
So I pretty much re-used that old tab sheet to memorise the main melody again and then looked up a couple of vids to see how the chord progression goes.
After that I just made up my own tempo for the melody in the original recording. And then for the rhythm stuff I tried to match it by strumming along while listening to my prerecorded melody at the same time. That’s why the tempo is a bit up and down in some parts.
I’m not clever enough to use a metronome… but maybe I’ll try one sometime.

@Bytron08 @adi_mrok thanks guys. The general Spanish/flamenco type vibe of this tune was the reason that I thought it might be worthwhile to just share it on here, even though it’s from a video game that not many community members may know about. Glad it came across with that vibe and that you guys liked it. Ta

@LBro Yeah a metronome was also suggested above to help with timing. I guess you mean a similar “click track”… or would finding a generic drum track of sorts be more recommended? I’m sort of useless at figuring out what other elements will fit well with something that I’m trying to play on a classical guitar.
Also, thanks for your feedback on the fretting form. While playing I don’t really notice it, but I can see in the recording that I am pushing the strings up a bit at times. Not sure if it might be that the action is too high or just a bad habit. The hammer-on, pull-off slide parts I probably also need to clean up. Cheers

2 Likes

Right, to me - a click track or metronome should be pretty much one and the same thing. I personally have a hard time with the Metronome and much prefer a steady drum beat for timing work. If used on a recorded song, then I would try and vary the drum beat up some. With classical you would want a mellow beat. Ideally brushes might be a good starting point, as opposed to “sticks”.

Using a metronome is simple enough. If you have a DAW, (Digital Audio Workstation and AI (Audio Interface)) it would be in the DAW. You could also add a free VST drum program. There are many, such as MT Power Drums and Steven Slate drums.

If you are recording with a simple phone set up. Then you could consider a portable, stand alone metronome. Of course then, you are likely to hear it on your recording. Justin has a lesson on the Metronome and when I saw that vid a long time ago it also told you what one to buy, that he liked. Worth the view there. Another idea would be to get a stand alone metronome with a 3.5mm headphone jack you could put some earbuds in. That would allow you to be “on the money” timing wise and not have the “nome” in your recordings.

All the best and may the beat be with you,
LB

1 Like

Hey Sandro, you have pretty much been given a lot of good advice and all that’s left for me to say is well done, that was great.

The one Justin Recommended was the Korg TM60BK Tuner Metronome.

1 Like

Excellent work Sandro. That was a wonderful piece of music, which I thought you played really well.

1 Like