Brian Larsen - June 2022 - covers ... Gimme Some Truth (John Lennon) + I Won’t Be Playing Wonderwall Tonight + Third Secret (The Legendary Dots)

A fine performance Brian. Don’t think I’ve actually heard the original before but this was a good intro and I’ll be looking it up.

1 Like

Beyond me to really rate drummers, here’s an early opinion from George Martin: What Beatles Producer George Martin Really Thought of Ringo Starr's Drumming - and Why Starr 'Never Totally Forgave' Him. And you can read what you like into this quote from the article

“he is a good solid rock drummer. Above all, he does have an individual sound.”

I might conclude then neither “great or abysmal (drummers included)”, somewhere in between :wink:

1 Like

Hi Brian,
great cover, I got super pleasure from it.
You did it easily (at first glance), with a good drive.
I think that John’s powerful topical lyrics also caused this…
Thanks for sharing!
Leo

1 Like

I think it’d sound great, but that’s moving into the area of ‘performing’, a different kettle of fish for me :wink:
@sclay Cheers mate!
Mmmm, donuts… :smiley:
@SgtColon Ta Stefan,

Tbh, I’d listen to @sairfingers and not bother… yet.
You’ll start down that path when you need to for whatever reason or if you get the hankering for it. No reading. You just try and when you get stuck, look up a video tutorial for that problem :smiley:
@Rossco01 Cheers Jason,
There are too many back-catalogues to be looking up these days :roll_eyes: :laughing:
@crocodile1 Thank you, Leo.
Looking forward to your next crock of gold :smiley:

2 Likes

Well I enjoyed that Brian. Loved the mix & vibe.

Certainly feels pretty appropriate given the world we’re in at the moment. Had to go down an internet rabbit hole for this one. Released in 1971. Perhaps this whole “post truth world” isn’t that new at all, and the truth has always been distorted to the masses. In Roman times even? Probably.

It’s just more efficient now with social media.

Old Ringo as well, not the best drummer in the world but honestly I think he’s underrated. His drumming served the songs, he varied it enough to make each song unique and didn’t make them too busy. And he was seriously awesome as the narrator for Thomas the Tank engine! :rofl:

What a fun little romp of a ditty! You gave it justice. Sounded good to me. The lead section was really tasty and well done, tip of the cap to Chris on that one. Liked the whole track a lot.

Hi Brian,
Good to hear you do some Lennon. Nice job of it too mate! It has the Lennon vibe to it and you fit right in. Keep up the good show!
LB

@jkahn Haha, nothing new under the sun, my friend :sunglasses: :wink:
Some serve the songs… I stab them with my steely knives but still can’t kill the beasts!

@CT Good to see you back in action, man :smiley:
I hope you have ‘re-thunk’ your rash withdrawal from the OM and will be bringing something tasty for all of us to share. You cheered Chris up with your comment- He’s just come down with the Covid :roll_eyes:

@LBro Thank you kindly, Sir.
Sure he used to live across the river from where I am.
I probably should have done a Macca cover instead, as he’s just celebrated his four score this weekend, but the world is just too full of silly love songs! :wink:

4 Likes

I’m all in on the OM. It’s been a while.

An Omicron strain is making the rounds here locally. Came close to a hospital trip due to follow on pneumonia, low oxygen levels and inflammation. All better now with an occasional wheeze.

Back to the music: Fun cover, BL!

3 Likes

David made some comment today that pricked my schoolboy memory and I remembered another version of Gimme Some Truth that I knew long, long ago in 1977 when I was a pale-faced youngster of about 12 years old.
I used to go to the record shop in Middlesbrough and buy punk albums and punk singles.
One such was King Rocker by Generation X - in lurid orange vinyl. The B-side was Gimme Some Truth - a version recorded for the John Peel radio show. It looked just like this. Long since gone.

GENERATION_X_KING+ROCKER+-+ORANGE+VINYL-135556GENERATION_X_KING+ROCKER+-+ORANGE+VINYL-135556c

GENERATION_X_KING+ROCKER+-+ORANGE+VINYL-135556b

I never did like Oasis, so when my friend Les Glover played this at a gig at our local arts centre last weekend, I grinned and thought to myself: “Rack ‘em up!” :sunglasses:
Les is an aging punk who I occasionally bump into with his trusty side-kick Henry Priestman (worth googling). However, he also plays guitar and sings with the old drummer from Slade, Don Powell, and they recorded this song not too long ago.

I had to step out of my comfort zone, as I usually download the chords from Ultimate Guitar, but it hasn’t become famous enough (yet) to have received the ‘treatment’. I did message Les and ask him for the chords, but he hasn’t responded (yet), so I had to take matters into my own hands and rely on my ears, as well as a short video appearance on Vintage Radio (where I used to have a weekly radio show) to help identify some of the chords. Needless to say, I took shortcuts and made ‘simplifications’ :wink:
I only started with a Trio+ backing track yesterday and had no intention of recording anything till I could at least remember some of the lyrics, but the T-shirt I’m wearing arrived in the post today from my mother-in-law, and I thought a live, aging-rocker-response would be appropriate :smiley:

This is as low-fi as it gets; I didn’t even record it on my phone but used the webcam on the pc which does not synchronise aud/vid that well.

I haven’t’ decided whether it will receive the turd-polish-treatment at a later date, or just be left as a fun flash in the pan.

Here’s a link to the proper version

13 Likes

Lo tech what the heck, Old Gits Rule. Nice one Brian. Old Don looking good !
Leave as is, no need to polished a gilt edge performance sir,

:sunglasses:

Hi Brian,

:sunglasses:

Indeed,…will it ever be different??? :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil:

Of course I liked to watch and listen,…but it was good to see that you had a harder time with it than other performances,…and personally I think when you give this song some extra practice ,is really worth going for…Go for it old man :smile:…Great t-shirt …love it :sunglasses:
You look healthy sunburnt in your face by the way! how is that possible, do you have sun now and then? :speak_no_evil:
Greetings :bouquet:

Like it Brian; too true that Old hits rule (especially stubborn ones :grin:)
Loved it, much more than the one in the title :joy:

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Cheers mate.
We all know what I should be doing :wink:

The day will come… but today is not that day! :laughing:

I blame cheap tech (& cheap wine when I was young and foolish) :roll_eyes:

@DarrellW
Haha, some of us ol’ fogeys are truly stuck in the past…
“Storm’s a-comin’, Ma!” :rofl:

1 Like

Well Brian perhaps you won’t be playing wonderwall tonight but you got as close as it gets :wink: great stuff I enjoyed it, you told a cool story there and kept me entertained throughout. Low tech was great and I didn’t pick up.much of an issue with the sync, all good to me sir!

As with all your productions Brian, you’ve aced this.

Perhaps the title should be ‘I won’t be singing Wonderwall tonight’. Irrespective of any "No Wonderwall’ signs on the wall, the progression is catchy and I’ll never say no to happy dose of parody.

Enjoyed your rendition as much as the real thing Brian … someday your creativity may fail and we are all disappointed, but it is not this day.

Cool T-shirt and, based on the glimpse offered by your camera angle, a nifty summer shearing for that summer look.

But I wasn’t any better then, and I even maintained that until something after my younger years with too cheap wine and sometimes stronger stuff :woozy_face:… hopefully the damage has been limited with us :blush:

And for all the good things,… the day after a day has passed, comes one day closer, so no worry be… :sunglasses: :sweat_smile:
Greetings…

Should I be affronted after doing a Wonderwall cover? :smiley:

That was really good Brian and if you ever did want to cover “the song that shall not be named” you’re not too far off with those chords. :stuck_out_tongue: