GNS - July 2022 - A. Mamontovas - Saulės miestas + Nightwish - Turn Loose the Mermaids

Here’s another version from my phone with vocals.

That sounds much better! Well done.

Is it possible to make the video with your phone?

Very cumbersome, since I don’t have a stand for phone.

Yeah, that can be a hassle. I have a music stand that I use when making videos with my phone. Perhaps you could put the laptop where it was for the video and rest the phone on its side against the laptop screen?

1 Like

I could, but then I’d have to experiment with distance how much is visible, how much is still hearable etc. Eh, for now it’s gonna be purely on soundcloud.

Nothing wrong with that.

Keep doing what you are doing, you are making good progress.

1 Like

Hey, guys. So, I decided, since I progressed somewhat more with F barre chord, to put in a simplified version of “Turn Loose the Mermaids” from NW’s seventh studio album “Imaginaerum”. The original song, if my ears does not deceive me, is played finger style, and even though I’ve found on songsterr the tabs for it (sounds more or less plausible), but since that I have yet to make friends with finger-style type music, so I decided to simply go with a strumming. Chosen a simple DDDDU strumming pattern for the whole song.

In this simplified version, the verses have Am - Em - C - G - Am progression, throughout, while choruses are slightly different: F - G - Am, C - G - Am, F - C - G - Am, D - F - Am. There are interludes in between (where in the original there is supposed to be flute music playing); the first two and the last interlude are the same as verses, but the semi-last one is slightly different: Am - D - C - G - Am - D - F - G - Am.

Regarding F barre chord, I found it slightly easier to do, if I just don’t look at the fretboard and just do it (kinda force my fingers to go in their respective places), but still the speed of changes is not as fast as for open chords, but, if compared to my Blaze of Glory vid, I think it is faster (how faster, who knows). There were some mistakes made, for sure, like with the semi-last interlude were when I wanted to form an F barre chord my middle, ring and pinky fingers accidentally meshed in together creating an Esus4 shape :confused:

Anyway, I filmed this recording via phone (on phone everything is audible). Played it through on youtube, also audible, should not have any sound issues like the last time.

7 Likes

Hi Aurimas, the strumming is nice and even, for me. I notice that when you change to the F chord your index finger that forms the barre seems to be the last one to be placed. That’s what it looks like to me. I think generally you want to fret the barre, particularly the 6th string on a down strum, first, so that the note is clean when strummed/picked.

Hey, Willsie01, you are correct, I do put the index finger last for barre chords, because if I would put index finger first, then when placing all other fingers the index finger simply slides off the fret. As I mentioned DavidP in one thread, I practised at first with putting index first, but it simply did not work; had to look up alternatives.

Yes, I know. The technique is easier said then done. Do you think you manage to get the F chord ringing cleanly, all of the strings doing it your way? If not, could you just try to fret the 6th string with the first finger initially, ahead of the other fingers? Then the rest of them come down across the neck gradually with the other fingers? I’ll have to check but I think this is what I aim to do with songs where the bottom note of the chord is picked on the first beat, so has to sound true.

Yeah, it’s just that since index is last there is a slight delay and while strumming you get dead note on the first strum, but previously, I’ve gotten two dead notes, so my speed is improving. Maybe in a couple of months there will be no dead notes anymore. Here’s hoping.

1 Like

Recording is good, Aurimas. Everything looking and sounding relaxed. I think this may be your best yet.

And I think that index finger is getting closer to landing with the other fingers, so keep up working on that.

Keep on keeping on

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

You’re making steady progress Aurimas. Keep up your good work.

1 Like

Hi Aurimas,
We see progress, so well done, :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Nicely done Aurimas, this is your best one yet. Solid pretty solid work there on the guitar.

1 Like

Ey, well done :clap: :clap: :clap: . And a nice pick for an AVOYP :blush:

Liked your strumming and the chord changes were fast and accurate (The F chord is a trouble for me as well).

I think this has been already said, but as feedback for something to work on, I’d practice Air Changes for F and C chords, as you aren’t placing the fingers at once (And I think you do it with D as well)

Continue with your journey and keep up the good work

:+1:

P.S: Can we expect an AVOYP of “Storytime” in the future then? :metal::guitar:

1 Like

Maybe, in a year or more, when I delve in to power chords and have played through more easier songs :smiley: In the meantime, I’d settle with a simplified (no barre and riffs) Islander and probably Angels Fall First in a couple of months.

Thank you all for tips and nice words :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well done Aurimas. Lots of good advice already given. Take it on board and you’ll continue to improve.

1 Like

You have a good road map there :metal::guitar:.

Good luck in your journey :+1:

1 Like