GNS - May 2022 - Bon Jovi - These Days + Bon Jovi - Santa Fe + GnR - Sweet Child Of Mine (rhythm) + The Cranberries - Zombie

Sounding smooth and steady on the strumming, Aurimas, and chords and changes also seemed clean and consistent. Well done, Keep on keeping on!

1 Like

Great job on the song.You have a good consistent strumming pattern. Keep it up!

1 Like

That is coming along nicely. The strumming and chords changes are a lot smoother in this one.

1 Like

I was going to create another topic, but I decided against it. So, I decided to add vocals this time to the song and film it again. For my amateurish ears, since I actually decided to “sing” lounder, this is a bit better than These Days vocal wise. Regarding strumming, I tried to keep it consistently, but since I did this actually in one take, I think while reviewing it I saw where I changed the beats in a bar a bit in two places (sometimes three beats, sometimes five instead of four), but I guess I did that subconsciously to finish-up the note I was “singing”. Also, mumbled-up a couple of lines in the end of second verse “bad man bad” :smiley: And viewing myself in video, that reminds me, damn, I really have to go to a hair-dresser these days… :smiley:

Well done, Aurimas, making good progress. You are right, the vocal much louder in this recording … rare to say I’d like the guitar a little louder :grin:

Hi Just been learning Sweet Child O Mine intro with my guitar tuned down half a step but when I carry on and play the chords for the verse and chorus it sounds slightly out. Is all the song tuned down and if so are the chords Justin plays correct or do the chords have to change - help

1 Like

All Guns N’ Roses songs are tuned in Eb standard, so shouldn’t sound off.

If I understand you correctly, intro sounds correct but the chords sound out of tune, right?

Yes that’s correct I just wondered if the D C G of the verse was right because the guitar is tuned down

Yes, the chords are right. You play the shame shape but instead of getting a D chord for example, you’ll be hearing Db chord.

You might need to get your guitar set up but I would expect it to be out of tune higher on the fretboard then.

Maybe others will chip in something more useful.

Now that makes sense that the D shape is now Db - my ears are listening for the D and it sounds flat, should have realised that but thought maybe it was just the intro that was tuned down. Thank you very much for enlightening me very much appreciated

Ah, I see - mystery solved now! Enjoy learning the whole song (and the solos), it’s a great tune!

Hey, so as Friday comes, decided to post another song. This time, Guns N’ Roses - Sweet Child O’ Mine. It does not have that Slash amusement park riff, sadly, because I’d only butcher it anyways. The rhythm part I did in one take (it turned out pretty okey, some small hick-ups in the outro, because it was the first time since I played the song with the outro (Em-G-A-C-D). Tried to keep the strumming consistent throughout the song and I think I’ve succeeded.

Also, adding my “singing” version (which wasn’t done in one take, because I always seemed to mix up the bloody lines and even now at the start I wanted to start with the second bloody verse) in addition to soundcloud, though, I’d save yourselves some ear-bleeding troubles and simply go to soundcloud for acoustic only part :smiley:

https://soundcloud.com/aurimas-visockis-616535184/guns-n-roses-sweet-child-omine-rhythm/s-FV6jtehVqID?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

3 Likes

Good effort Aurimas.

Chord changes are tidy and chords sound clean enough :+1:

Nicely done, Aurimas, smooth and steady playing.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Quite a challenging song in all the ways, never heard it on acoustic as well so that is interesting.

I think playing wise you had a good steady rhythm and very nice changes and that is something to be happy about :slight_smile: all the best.

Hi Aurimas:

Great improvement with keeping your arm moving n time since your first Bon Jovi song. Try this to make it sound just like the original : Put a capo on the 4th fret and play A, G, D, A. You can do the same strumming pattern and it sounds great. That is how I play that song, just a recommendation. This is a song you can really grow with as you progress. Thanks very much for sharing and you should feel proud of your accomplishment. For the next step, see if you can play without looking. As Justin says make a mental map of the fretboard. You can do it :slight_smile:

Jeff

Very nicely done Aurimas. Not an easy one to cover but you did a good job with it.

So, I was wondering whether to upload this today. I know that a while back in my learning log I was pondering whether to do a mash-up of different parts of what each guitarist is doing, but ultimately decided against it, because for that you need at least two guitars (where one is playing rhythm and the other is doing small licks to accompany it at the end). To my ears it did not work, so, ultimately, I decided to do a simple acoustic version with a mash-up of Em, Cmaj7, G6, D/F and Em, C, G, D (but since the idiot that I am, and was looking at the chord tabs while playing that mash-up, which I originally intended to do for intro, pre-choruses and interludes, when the rest is Em, C, G, D flew-out the window; so, I only did that in the intro and in the ending parts). On the bright side, used somewhat different strumming for intro and ending, compared to the whole verses and choruses. Also, added small licks with hammer-ons and a solo (but I have to work a bit on it yet, because I don’t much like how I played the solo; you’ll see…). At the end of the solo I also did a harmony on the fifth fret of A string, but since the recording is, well, bad, and I use my fingers for strumming, you can barely hear it (but it is there).

And… well, that’s probably it. Yeah.

P.S. I was using flat-tuning for the song… for no other reason than before I practised a bunch of songs with flat tuning and was too lazy to go to standard.

https://soundcloud.com/aurimas-visockis-616535184/zombie-cranberries/s-4tYRMp8FKvs?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

1 Like

Hi Aurimas:

Good job with the even rhythm on this. I hear steady improvements.

Jeff

1 Like