Graham's Learning Log

It happens to us all at some point and for some skills. I see that you’re in Module 12 after barely 5 months. You may be going too quickly if you haven’t played before you started this. You might not be spending enough time to get your skills bedded in before moving on to the next things. I know shiny new things are more exciting than stuff you already know but sometimes you’ve just got to put the hours in. The modules build on the skills you’ve learned earlier so rushing through isn’t developing your muscle memory and it may be making it harder with the new things.

Based on what I’ve seen here about it usually takes 1-2 weeks per module in Grade 1, and 2-4 weeks for the modules in Grade 2. Assuming this is correct it should be taking about 2-3 months for the 7 modules in Grade 1 and about 5-6 months for the 7 additional modules in Grade 2.

This is only a guide, and your mileage may vary, but consider reviewing the lessons you’ve done to date and make your own practice routine for the skills you are struggling with. Split your practice time 50:50 with songs you like (it still needs to be fun) and consolidate the skills you need for the next 4-6 weeks. Then pick up where you left off, and take more time in each module.

3 Likes

for the F chord , try to learn the fm/7 first
it will help your brain remember the form / position of the fingers

1 Like

Graham, I would suggest that you do what I did. I purchased a Dunlop electric guitar variety pack of picks and a variety pack of Dunlop acoustic guitar picks. They come with a variety of thickness of nylon and Tortex picks. I purchased mine via Amazon. I still use the thin nylon pick for very fast picking and the orange Tortex for picking individual notes and picking out notes while strumming. But I also use some of the thicker nylon picks for strumming since they are more flexible than the Tortex picks for the same thickness. For instance, the grey Dunlop nylon 0.60 pick is much more flexible than the orange Dunlop Tortex 0.60 pick. I use the 0.,60 nylon pick for a lot of my strumming, since it is easy to hold and results in smooth strumming.

1 Like

Thanks for the all the helpful info and another perspective. Here I was thinking I was taking too long on the modules falling behind. I did spend 1-2 weeks per module in beginner 1, spent a month consolidating, then moved on to beginner 2. I’ve been concentrating on the things I listed in my practice, but I always spend a good chunk of time going over all the chords I have learned. I have a solid gasp on what I have learned, but like you said some things just need bedding in.

It is just weird what different individuals struggle with. Some chords that look daunting came to me pretty easy, but I still struggle shifting to the D chord even though I practice it everyday. More practice is needed.

1 Like

I’ll give that a go. I struggle mainly with getting all the strings to ring out when I change chords to the F. It is like 50/50 if I unintentionally mute the low E string and the B string.

Ok, cool. I’ll look those up and get a pack or two. I appreciate it.

Still practicing about an hour a day, five days a week. I took y’alls advice and slowed down quite a bit and haven’t moved pass lesson 12. I have really been trying to nail down the basics. Because I felt something was wrong and had no in person feedback, I decided to try and find a local instructor to help me out.

I was pleasantly surprised to find a local sting shop not five minutes from my house. While they focus on more orchestral instruments, the owner informed me they do a have a very good guitar instructor. I met with him and started in my first person lessons two weeks ago.

It is great to have someone to give me some real time feedback! I figure Justin guitar and an in person class once a week is a winning combo. I’ll keep practicing and I will post my progress along the way. Thank you all for your encouragement. I think I am finally starting to get the idea that the journey is the goal and to enjoy it along the way.

5 Likes

That’s the idea I decided to go with as well :slightly_smiling_face: My in person lessons will probably start after the summer and I’m quite nervous about it to be honest. Did you start your in lerson lessons with a clear set of questions and a certain game plan what you want to get out of them?

I didn’t know what to expect to be honest. The first lesson my instructor was just feeling me out and asking what I knew. I showed him what I had learned and he gave me a slew of scales and other chords to practice.

The second lesson was all about questions I had from the previous lesson and stuff I forgot to ask due to nervousness. This next lesson we are going to be playing chord progressions mixed in with the scales I have been practicing to show how it all comes together in a real life setting. I have really enjoyed the lessons so far.

I think the thing that has helped me the most so far is playing around someone else in a new setting. Getting out of my house and playing with someone has been very rewarding. I say go for it!

2 Likes

Thanks. I will, I definitely will. :slightly_smiling_face: