Guitar Challenge (Improv) - 3, 2, 1 improvisations

Andrea thanks for listening.

I wasn’t specifically going for funk type backing tracks but to be honest I am a bit lazy. I could have plugged in my looper and dropped an Am D7 cycle and jammed over that. But me and the looper don’t always gel and it takes seconds to find something in YouTube. The soul funk titles piqued my interest and took me back to some early 70s vibes from the likes of Mayfield and Hayes. So I went for it and it was good, so thanks for the comments.

As to recording, there are many approaches. I had just come out of my open mic set up, so had to do a bit of fiddling, mainly because the backing tracks volumes were widely different, so it was all about levelling up. But yes I did go on a tone hunt because my POD Go offers so much. But hey that’s just me.

As David explained his Loodle was recorded on his Android, Gordon @sairfingers always records on his iPhone and @brianlarsen Mr L normally records both Gtr/Amp and Vox via webcam camera and mic. So you see there are plenty of “easy” options but if you desire, like some of us the rabbit hole is very deep. :rabbit: :hole: :rabbit2:

I would advise KIS(S) Keep It Simple.

:sunglasses:

@roger_holland like many expressions, I think the meaning is not well conveyed in a literal translation. But certainly learning guitar is an endeavour in which you meet many facets of real life.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner I enjoyed your 3-2-1, Toby, and had to go-to-google to make sense of the picture. I guess over time all this loodles and noodles could be consigned to the bin, as they serve an immediate purpose to learn. If not the bin the private archive so one can come back months and years later and hopefully appreciate significant improvement.

@Socio thanks James. I think the concept can serve one well as soon as one takes those first steps into making music with single notes from a minor pentatonic or major scale. I’d have to go scan the Grades to see exactly when that may be. It is not absolutely necessary to add that forth note that is played with a bend.

3 Likes

Awesome post glad I found it. Simple easy way for a beginner like me to work on improvisation and not sound half bad doing it. Activemelody.com. Is A great resource I have used in conjunction with Justin guitar.
Definitely recommend this for beginners like me.
:+1: :+1:

1 Like

Giving it heart and soul David, and faces. Great idea to narrow your focus and see what goodness lurks within the small confines.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

@JasonBuk you and me both, Jason! I’ll take half bad :joy: And of course Justin and @Richard_close2u have recommended this approach of focusing in, not rushing to learn all the scales and their various patterns, but rather being able to make music with a single pattern and in this case a reduced ste of notes. But naturally we … I … am wanting to be able to move up and down the neck like a pro and need to be patient.

@Richard_close2u thanks Richard. Now to pick a lick and try a smilar deal squeezing the lick to get all the juicy goodness from it … let me remind myself again …

Yoda Patience GIF - Yoda Patience You Must Have Patience GIFs

1 Like

That had a bit of a jazzy/soul vibe to it, really liked it Toby lots of good things happening in your recording! As they say sometimes less means more and clearly only 3 notes can make a solo a very enjoyable experience. Thanks for sharing and all the best!

1 Like

Another enjoyable few minutes, sounded good. A bit different to your normal rock fare good to see you branching out.

1 Like

This right here is the key

1 Like

Yeah but can you tell me where the door is please ? :rofl:

It’s right behind the mirror through the :rabbit2: hole

1 Like

BTW Just watching Brian’s video on simple phrasing (EP420) to get some more ideas. Probably goes slow Blues on the next 321 track.

@DavidP @TheMadman_tobyjenner Thanks David and Toby, at the moment I use my Blackstar ID CORE V3, my guitar and a Tablet or an LG Phone. The aux in of the amp provides the possibility of playing the backing track through the amp, thanks to a trrs cable, I should be able to record BT and guitar right through the amp. Takes some time to get settings, especially the matching of volume of BT and guitar, but I hadn’t enough time to finally check that out yet.
Recordings with my phone on the music stand and the accoustic guitar tend to be unsatisfying, as it sounds different to what I hear while playing. For now, I use recording only for self assessment, but it’s a big, big rabbit hole. Half the time of playing on the electric goes for tone chasing, to get familiar with the amp, but it’s paying off, as meanwhile some really nice tones are coming out.
Don’t need additional challenges with professional recording in the near future… :wink: If that changes, I’ll ask you for help :rofl:

2 Likes

That was great! :clap:t2: :clap:t2: I understood almost zilch of the tech talk I think I may have to read some more of the technical threads to gain a bit more understanding :grin:

1 Like

@adi_mrok Glad you liked it Adi, quite a nice but different BT and fun to mess around with. And thanks for the comments. Only 3 notes ? Yeah who needs scales anyway :rofl:

@skinnyt Hi Trevor and thanks for listening. What can I say I have an eclectic taste but there are some areas I won’t venture ! Glad you enjoyed it. :sunglasses:

@Nancy15 Nancy if you have ears to listen that’s good enough for me, ignore all the tech talk and leave that for use sados ! Appreciate the comments, so thanks for listening. :sunglasses:

@tony and anyone interested in having a go, here is a link to the backing tracks I shared with David and Gordon. Each folder shows the BPM in the title but don’t let that put you off. Most of the original YouTube tracks are on the long side 10-11 minutes, so I have created some shorter version of each to record over. Today I added the 85, 90 and 11 BPM folders and tracks but as these are all around 4:45 minutes I have not trimmed them further. Enjoy :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Great vibe in that playing Toby, sounded good to me. Good use of pauses and relaxed vibe.

Thanks JK, it really is a fun experiment. I also see it as a good springboard to improvising for anyone starting or not long into it. As you can see from Shane’s post, even using the same BT you can get a wider variety of styles and expressions. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Kick back and swagger around in a lounge suit :wink: . Sounded fantastic Toby! Those slow bends are so moody, lovely volume changes and the gaps add so much to the improv.

I look forward to the day I know enough to experiment like this!

Be patient Grasshopper, your time will come. :cricket:
:sunglasses:

:rofl: Yes Sir Mr. Miyagi… I’ll go back to sanding the floor, painting the fence and waxing the cars :wink:

Ha I was thinking more Master Po and Kwai Chang Caine but I’d expect you may have to google that one ! :rofl:

1 Like