Guitar Challenge (Improv) - 3, 2, 1 improvisations

Be patient Grasshopper, your time will come. :cricket:
:sunglasses:

:rofl: Yes Sir Mr. Miyagi… I’ll go back to sanding the floor, painting the fence and waxing the cars :wink:

Ha I was thinking more Master Po and Kwai Chang Caine but I’d expect you may have to google that one ! :rofl:

1 Like

A little before my time yes, I’ll go into no more on that though!
Now if you’d referenced Monkey Magic… :rofl:

1 Like

The beginning of wisdom The Beginning of Wisdom - YouTube

2 Likes

Thought I’d have a crack at this 321 exercise - 321 Project using the same Am7-D7 progression. Great idea and one I’ll be definitely adding to my improv practice.

Cheers, Shane

13 Likes

Pretty cool Shane. Same kind of chord progression but quite a different vibe. The repeating licks were great.

Welcome to the party Shane. :wave:

Really enjoyed that. What I like about this exercise, is despite us all being limited to the same 3/4 notes, you still get a wide variety of expressions and phrases. And I think in that way we can all learn more by experimenting with what can be done but also from each other at the same time. Hoping to do another this weekend but pondering which of the BT styles to use.

Great job ! :clap:

1 Like

Another 321 project. Very cool, Shane. Great sound. Very interesting for a beginner to see how many different themes you can get out with just a few tones. Wow. Have to bookmark this project for later, when I hopefully reach your level. :+1:

1 Like

These are becoming addictive posts to look out for, when are you guys going to open up the JC Lizard Lounge?

Nice work Shane :+1:

Great to see another joining in, Shane. Lovely tone and enjoyed your phrasing. Beyond me to comment on bend accuracy, my ears are under-schooled. You were nailing the use of repeated hammer-on/flick-off in a phrase.

Now I am inspired for another round over a BT this arvie.

1 Like

@Helen0609 and you’ll reach the level where you can get into this sooner than you think, Andrea, without jumping ahead. Justin teaches the E minor pentatonic in the open position. Once you’ve done that lesson then you can join this party. And it can be done without getting into bends and other lead techniques.

1 Like

I would say sooner than that. Knowing the minor pent is useful but you only need to find those 3 notes (see diagram on my thread) and away you go. If you can’t bend just slide up from the 4th interval to the 5th for the same effect, in this case from 7th to 9th fret on the G string. @Helen0609 Just have a go Andrea, see what you can do and have some fun, no need to post or share, just experiment. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Great job Shane I really enjoyed the motif you came up with here it really made it quite an enjoyable listen :wink:

@sclay great solo Shane. You really got the vibe of the backing track. The vibrato on the bends was a nice touch. Great phasing. Over all good tone and playing good job.

2 Likes

Hi Shane, wow, so cool to listen yet to another 321version :smiley:. And very inspiring, too. Very groovy sound :+1::clap::sunglasses:.

2 Likes

@sclay SHane …
Another cool instalment in this 321 jamboree.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. A truly great exercise that contains alot of hidden treasure. Helps you discover alot of little licks too which is pretty cool.

Will be stating the obvious here for some, but for those just getting into triads, chord construction etc, notice those 3 notes, ( effectively 4 with the bend) - A,C,D,E - form the partial triads of both the Am7 and D7 chords in the progression.

Am7 - A C (1, b3) + E ( bent note) , the 5
D7 - D A ( 1,5) + C , the b7.

So chord tones everywhere, with shared notes, but different sounds over the 2 chords.

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

@TheMadman_tobyjenner @DavidP thank you both for the hint, have to try it when I’m done with the Power Chords (at the moment, I’m really enjoying to make some noise :sunglasses: :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face:). Don’t know, if this 321 is an excercise Justin mentions in a certain video, so we’ll all pass it while following the lessons, otherwise, wouldn’t it be worth being fixed somewhere? Thanks again for your effort keeping the beginners informed, very appreciated!
Edit: Just saw the Active Melody link on David’s post.

2 Likes

Andrea
I think if more people take the exercise up it could well become one of our guitar challenges so all the relevant information would appear in that thread. Probably too early for that happen at the moment but certainly a possibility. Although not a specific exercise in Justin’s curriculum he does talk about limiting yourself when learning to improvise. But hey absolutely no problem with you sticking to the program. Enjoy the power calls and get rocking.
:metal::sunglasses:

1 Like