Guitar Challenge (Improv) - 3, 2, 1 improvisations

Hello @DavidP
I’ll explain: i have my pc playing the backing track and my amp for the guitar. All this is being filmed with my phone.
Now, you mentioned something about an aux input? My amp has that.
So would you suggest plugging my amp into the pc (using it as a speaker) and play the bt, through the amp? Because i can’t think of another way of playing audio through the amp.
How do you play the bt through the amp and have the guitar going at the same time?
That would only leave my phone for recording the whole thing.

@philsmith that sounds like a great start to me. You have a good sense of repeating phrases, and it works well. I agree with David’s comments on bends. What I really liked about your improv was the space, it really highlighted what that means and it gives me some thoughts for my next attempt.

1 Like

@GrytPipe @DavidP
I recorded using the same set up I use for JG Open Mics, using Zoom. I plugged my condenser mic into the AI, then just played my guitar through an amp with the condenser mic picking it up. Using Zoom for the video seemed a lot easier than using my phone and then trying to sync audio and video from different sources. Isn’t that difficult to do, David?

Edit: the BT was playing through my computer, but I could have plugged it into the Aux on my amp instead.

You plug your guitar into the regular input jack on your amp and you plug your music source (phone or whatever) via a small cable into the AUX input on your amp (a 3.5 mm jack). So, the music gets played through the amp’s speaker along with your guitar.

2 Likes

Exactly what i was thinking.
I’ll have a look to see if if have the cables needed for this. If not, some ordering is needed, i think.
Thank you all for the help!

1 Like

@Mari63

I wouldn’t say it is difficult, Mari. It does add a few extra steps into the process and may be simpler or harder depending on the tools at one’s disposal. For example, you can drop an mp4 into Reaper recorded with a webcam or phone and sync it with the audio that you may have recorded simultaneously via an interface. Once the audio tracks are aligned with the video audio, which you do with eyes and ears, then mute the audio on the video track and re-render the project as an MP4 video.

But as you suggest, using Zoom as the recorder by recording a meeting with your self with audio from the interface using a condensor is far fewer steps. I might do the same with OBS but for the fact that my amp is in a different room to the PC with OBS and the interface. Hence just using a phone for these recordings when low-fi is fine. Well low-fi here is always fine until you want to do a little more :laughing:

I assume the backing was playing over speakers plugged into the computer and the amp, computer speakers and mic were appropriately positioned to get the mix you had … which was great. That setup takes some care and attention.

@GrytPipe
To add to what @jjw said, you can run a cable with the 3.5mm jack from the headphone output of a laptop as well as any other device if you don’t have an additional device when your phone is being used as the camera.

The sound from the aux track is played by the amp without going through any of the effects of the amp. My amp does have a master volume that controls how loud the output of the power amp is which will effect the guitar sound and the aux sound. So the trick is to play with the loudness of the aux source and the amp settings so you have an appropriate balance between the backing and the lead.

2 Likes

The cheap software I use is relatively simple. Drag the video and audio recordings onto the project. Select the audio clip and video’s audio clip. Click auto sync. Detach and delete video audio. Then publish.

1 Like

A laptop. Why didn’t i think of that before. :man_facepalming: I have a few lying around. Much easier than moving the hardware towards each other.
Now for that cable… Thanks again guys for the advice!!

2 Likes

@DavidP thanks for that input. I think I’ll stick with fewer steps, it’s also a lot easier for multiple stops and starts I think, and not then having to wade through to match up Take 43 to Take 43 :rofl:

1 Like

Right. Here’s my first go.
It’s my first video ever tbh. This has been so far out of my comfort zone, for me it’s like being in another solar system.
But i did it anyway. This is a learning process to get rid of nerves. (something that bothers me a lot!)
That, and to get the hang of this.

Thanks for watching!

6 Likes

Congrats on your first video Gryt, that was great. You certainly caught the vibe of the backing track and stuck to the brief. Are you a lefty ? It took me a while to adjust and I was convinced you were hitting the wrong frets but my ears said all was good. Then the mirror switched on in my brain and all was good. Well done sir.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

good Job Gryt. The only thing missing was full tone bends but the little 1/4 bends fit in nicely.

Well done mate, and for your first video as well. Had a good groove to it, and some nice little phrases. Not easy with just 3 notes, so good stuff.

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

Thank you for those kind words and yes, i’m a lefty indeed. So watch out for the next videos. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you too for the kind words. Full tone bends are something to work on indeed. I’m going to work on them. :slight_smile:

Thank you. I’m glad you liked it too.

Bravo, GP, a mighty fine video to make your record and share debut.

Loved the funky, cool vibe you had going there. The licks all worked well together, some nifty slides, and a syncopated (is that the right word?) rhythmic feel.

Sweet tone to round it off. Lots to like. Keep on keeping on!

Congrats for sharing your first video, sounded very good to me, you’ve got that groove. You should be proud of your playing. Forget your nerves :wink:

@DavidP great to hear that you liked it. And you are correct about the syncopated rythm. I tried to sneak that in with a muted note. I sounded good to me a the time. And since there’s only 3 notes to work with… i figured that a muted note isn’t a note at all… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

@Helen0609 Thank you for your kind words.
About the nerves. I wish it were that simple. It’s going to take some time to get over them. Slowly i’m forcing myself to play in the company of others. First my family, since a year my teacher and this year i’ll be playing a song or 2 after the Christmas dinner. And of course, posting videos. That should help too, i guess.
Thank you for your kind words.

2 Likes

@GrytPipe I’m not a performer too :wink:. In my younger years, I acted in school theater that was really helpful, later professional activities requiered presentations and moderations of symposiums too, but music is kind of different, have to get more experienced :cowboy_hat_face:. Maybe my place is more in the second row. Never was what we call a “Rampensau” in German (found no translation, somewhat like somebody who claimes the whole attention of the audience on stage). Just wanted to let you know, that it was a pleasure to listen. Time will tell and you surely will get more confident.

1 Like