Guitar Challenge (Improv) - Layla style Backing Tracks

@Mari63
Thanks for sharing, Mari. I’ll check that out. Don’t think I’ve ever gone that far up the neck, real unexplored territory.

2 Likes

Great job David, you are really progressing with this.

1 Like

@RodC Thanks, Rod, and having a ton of fun along the way.

Another line in the sand. This is an improv (very) loosely based on the melody of Layla. Dm, Bb and C. It’s pretty short as I can’t fool around as long as I used to. :joy:

14 Likes

Very nice Gordon, you’re definitely getting your head around it! Maybe you could have had a bit of breathing space here and there but the phrases were good. Nice few bends a hammer ons could have done with the odd patch of vibrato but listenable to for sure!
If you’re gonna carry on like this you’re gonna need a guitar with a cutaway, not wishing to provoke you with GAS :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Not too loosely based, Gordon. I heard where it came from. I thought it was a good effort!

1 Like

Good job Gordon. Time to learn the minor pent A shape(pattern4) and add some color.
Notice the pattern is the same as the E shape (adjust for B string) Root on the A string

1 Like

You’re not fooling around, Gordon, some great licks and phrases, got the Lyla vibe going.

1 Like

Very clear where this should go … nice job .Justin has a lesson about the intro solo … it’s doable now you know this :sunglasses:
Greetings

1 Like

Lookit Gordon & David: them chops are comin’ on nicely :sunglasses:
Me, I wanna be like Guitar George… strictly rhythm, I don’t want to make it cry or sing (… yet!) :laughing:

2 Likes

Loved it!!!
Hope im able too that myself one day. Sounded so cool!!! :raised_hands:t2:

1 Like

Great work Gordon, totally hearing where this originates and certainly in keeping with EC.
Keep working it and start looking for those extensions to add some spice.

Chappeau.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks Darrell. Yes you’re right, I forgot about my vibrato!
As for GAS, if I ever get round to buying a travel guitar it’ll need to have a cutaway. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the support John, much appreciated.

Thanks Rick. You’re confusing me now. How can a different pattern add more colour when the notes sound exactly the same as pattern 1. I thought the different patterns simply allowed you to play in different neck positions which perhaps made certain licks more accessible but they’d sound exactly the same.

Aha but Brian then you’ll
Maybe get a blister on your little finger
Maybe get a blister on your thumb

Thanks for your support David. We’re in this one together along with @TheMadman_tobyjenner. :wink:

Thanks Toby. This could be a long project!

And as complete aside, the targeted reply thing seems to be working for me now!

1 Like

Very nicely done, Gordon. Keep up the good work.

As for the targeted reply, I find it buggers up when I minimise the comment window.

1 Like

The first solo in Layla starts with a Dm arpeggio played on the 5th fret Root
on the A string. It also adds the 2nd interval from the Dm scale.
So the A shape minor pentatonic(pattern 4) fits really nice under your fingers
when you play the Dm chord on that part of the neck.

You can play it in the E shape (pattern 1) where you are playing it in your video
it just doesn’t sit as well and is a little harder to add the color note(2nd interval)

I also think you’re ready to move to another pattern and pattern 4 would be the
next best one for you to learn because it fit Layla so well and your doing really
good with it. In the first solo of Layla there is also a run that connects pattern 4 to
pattern 1.

2 Likes

Hey Gordon that was great, we lately have people around who are really into fooling around with Layla, your mrs might have something against it chaps! :face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth: definitely get a jumbo guitar to play higher up the neck or better - get your SG off the rack! :grinning: all the best Gordon :blush:

1 Like