Guitar position issues

Hi HarryToon, yeah the position of mine (Epiphone ES-339 Pro) is pretty much dictated by the (gorgeous!) curves in the body shape, together with the position of the jack socket. I think it’s quite similar to the lady in the vid, but quite hard to tell without sitting in front of a large mirror. It’s interesting to see the body of her guitar is definitely not parallel to her body (neither is mine), and that the neck is still angled slightly upwards and not parallel to the floor (so is mine). Also her guitar is tilted back slightly, which I always thought was “wrong”. But I guess nothing is wrong if it feels right and doesn’t do you any damage!

I think I.ll stick with my hybrid hold Toady. I dont want to sicken myself off I guess. I.m sure as my fingers loosen up a little more,I.ll continue to make progress. Good luck fella. Cheers.

When I started playing I also held the guitar similar to what you describe, the classical position.

As I started to perform at open mics I realized I wanted the ability to play standing up which for me meant lowering the neck to the more common position.

This worked much better for me as the position of my guitar then was quite the same between sitting down and standing up.

It took me a while to adjust. All of this is very personal, what works for one person doesn’t work for another.

Some of us have problems with the guitar position because of health issues, and somewhere between a ‘normal’ and classical stance whilst sitting would be ideal.
However, the waist of the guitar prevents this, so we have to compromise.
If you play sitting down most of the time, try checking a few different guitars to see if any of them feel better - Jazzmasters and Jaguars were largely designed to be played sitting down (the lower waist is further back) and is something I would go for if funds allowed (they don’t at the minute!)

1 Like

I think you should look at this maybe, I have one and can say - OK it’s not a Fender but it’s still a great guitar for what it costs!

Harley Benton JA60sb vintage

Harley Benton HB JA-60SB Vintage Series – Thomann UK

Or maybe

Harley Benton MS60vw

Harley Benton MS-60 VW Vintage Series – Thomann UK

Or

Squier Bullet Mustang hh

Squier Bullet Mustang HH IMPBL – Thomann UK

They are well worth considering.

Personally, I wouldn’t make any effort to switch to the “horizontal” position. I far prefer the classical position. It places my body in the most natural position for playing. I angle the neck such that the headstock is about level with my eyes.

Thanks for all your input fellas, ladies …

Thanks for that.
I had seen them, and am considering one.
Even these are expensive for me at present - My dog needs some treatment which isn’t cheap, and did you know that disability benefits don’t include an allowance for guitars??? Shocking isn’t it?! :crazy_face: