Guitar Time with Rod is booked!

Inspirational stuff

2 Likes

Many thanks for the supportive comments! I plan on bringing a Go pro with me. Easiest way i know to record this. Will have to tread lightly on where it’s pointed privacy being a big deal these days. Probably just point it at me :grinning:. My wife is going to go as well, hopefully she can intercept any vegetables tossed my way! My plan is whatever happens performance wise is just keep going and close out each piece as if nothing happened :sunglasses:.

Just going to see if i can set a good vibe and let folks chat or listen as they please. Singing is probably in the mix but later, less about a performance and more about letting the music work…. Rod

5 Likes

What a great thing you are doing for the community with the added benefit of playing live to an audience.
Good luck, I’m sure you’ll need a few encore pieces to keep the crowd at bay.

1 Like

Hi Lieven, you probably mean well, and I don’t want to put the pressure on Rod at all (sorry Rod :smile:), but there are just as many older people who know or have played music than younger people and they can and are just as critical ,and you also come to play in people’s own houses instead of people stopping by in a pub, so Rod I want to encourage you to go the extra mile for the people who all too often (in my country anyway) ) are treated as less…

And to Rod and everyone who plays for others I want to say what I’ve heard many artists say in many aspects and certainly applies in this context, whether you perform for 5 or 10 thousand people, always give the best you’ve got :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

What a wonderful way to develop your playing, increase your repertoire and give to the local community. Hope it goes well Rod, well done sir ! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey @roger_holland I know what you mean :smiley:
With the “expectation management” I referred to the people managing the center, not the residents :smiley:

I know that Rod takes this very serious and he won’t go slacker on this one at all! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Lieven,
Glad to read this :sweat_smile:
Greetings…

Rod,
What fantastic idea. I would hope this inspires many more of us to follow your lead. I look forward to your update after your May 10 gig! Best of luck and have some fun!

1 Like

What a great idea Rod. I hope it goes well and I look forward to reading (and hopefully watching a video) the report back when you have done your first session. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Rod, good luck with everything. It sounds great. My little bit of advice which you are of course free to ignore would be to have a think about whether you want to record this first gig or save that for a bit further down the track. There will be a lot happening with a new setlist, new venue, new audience ect… Its just a question of whether recording will add another layer of bussyness and internal pressure. Either way, good luck.

2 Likes

Hi Rod, Sounds a great idea. Good luck with it.

1 Like

First play completed! The good news is no food was thrown my way!:grin:

This room is really big so I was concerned about volume but it seemed to work ok.

My setup is a Go Pro on the fireplace mantle looking at my position and the left of the room. The right side of the room is larger and goes into the main lobby so overall pretty big space. My Spark Mini amp is on the other side of the mantle about 3ft from the Go Pro so that is why the guitar is so clear. But when I speak to the folks you can hear the significant drop off in audio. Using Xvive U2 wireless transmitter and receiver to connect guitar and amp. My wife thought I was too loud although she was sitting right under the camera close to the amp. Feedback from the group was not very specific as you will see in the video so volume is a guess. I’ll check with the staff later to confirm.

Group probably maxed out in the 20s. Learned a lot and time flies while you are live. Did about 35 minutes and tried to get out of there right when they started serving lunch. Still not sure which works better (before,during, or after). Biggest learning is you can’t practice too much, don’t think any piece was flawless but no stoppages just kept the rhythm as best I could. Finger picking is about three weeks old and that went pretty well although not perfect either😁. I’m feeling good about that. It’s become my new favorite thing.

I spliced together some clips so you can get a feel of the set, didn’t take too much time with that so it’s a high level overview.

I’ll give the staff some time and get some feedback and see if this continues but it was probably better for me than them😁……Rod

13 Likes

Well done Rod! I applaud your bravery to get out there and do this, the recording sounded great to me, good banter too to help warm up the crowd. I bet the learnings were many and will guide you well going forward. All the best! :clap: :smiley:

1 Like

I agree with Jeff @nzmetal, Rod. A very big well done on getting out there and doing it.

Will you get some feedback do you think? Have they asked if you’ll return?

2 Likes

Congratulations, Rod :clap::bouquet::+1:. You really did it. And you did it great :star_struck:.
I would definitely repeat it, as new things always take some time to become known and popular :blush:.

1 Like

Hey @Rod58

Really great to see you out there!

Even though you denied it, you are a performer now :wink:
You actually show confidence when you speak, you have a good public speaking voice and now you felt that it isn’t only making music but also some public speaking! Your set is a story and you need to take time to tell it (like I said here Playing live and nerves - #62 by LievenDV)

I think you’re ready to get back there and bring your vocals along.
I’ve heard you sing and it will surely entertain them! They will be paying more attention to you but now that you know and feel the crowd and venue, you’re up to that!

You could plan it before lunch, that way they can watch your show and have lunch afterwards. during serving or after lunch won’t work that well I think. (after lunch: some peopel finish earlier than others and they’ll have to wait while you do it before lunch, they can enjoy the show and then they’re all there to enjoy lunch and they have little waiting time)

1 Like

Feedback talking to the staff was “they loved it”. But…they want me to be there 30 minutes earlier. Seems like that 30min slot right before lunch is their chat time and they would rather listen to me earlier, then chat, then eat :grinning:. Audience comes first. Set up for next Wednesday. Now i need to sub out a couple of tunes to keep the set fresh…. Rod

2 Likes

You give them something different to chat about mate. They will be telling their visitors about you. You made a big difference to their day. I agree with the above that next time you should bring your vocals to the party. Maybe also worth asking them what their favourite songs are and you could learn them for the subsequent visit which would really put a smile on their face as they sing along with you.

Edit: could you ask the staff to compile a list of their favourite songs to help you cater your setlist?

1 Like

Brilliant stuff, Rod :clap: round of applause at the end was well deserved and it seems everyone involved had a great time. I have nothing but admiration for what you’re doing, love it :v:

1 Like

Big well done Rod. Volumes of guitar/voice seemed good to me on the recording at least. Bring your vocals next time.

1 Like