Guitarists - 7 Hard Truths

Yup, what you said 100%

I agree 100%

1 Like

image

Usually true. That’s been the case in 2 out of the 3 times I bought a guitar for that reason. But definitely not true in 1 of the 3 times. If you have the wrong gear for what you are trying to do, getting the right gear can definitely help.

2 Likes

Decent gear helps. We all try to emulate our favourite guitarists, and having something that sounds even close really helps - this is usually down to pickups and amps (and the amp settings)
Theory - well, the more we have the better. It doesn’t need to be learned as if we’re sitting in a classroom, but it can make a world of difference. Right now I’m trying to transpose (mostly visually, watching the video) ‘Oh Holy Night’ by Joe Bonamassa. Figuring out that it is in C and then I’ll rip it apart to see all the intricacies of the scales being played is they way I’ve decided to go - it works for me.

This also ties into the ‘Covers’ section. Cover as many songs as possible - it helps us with playing. Pulling the song apart is super-important, figuring out scales, techniques and where to adjust really helps an understanding of the guitar. This is covered in the ‘Learning songs/understanding’ as well

Timing - anyone who started Justin’s course at the start knows this! Strumming definitely helps timing, and using a metronome or drum machine is a great help.

Speed? well speed can go right to the back of the queue. Playing badly at high speed is just as useless as playing badly at slow speed. Slow down, get it right til you’re sick to death of it, then start to speed up if necessary.

1 Like

I would agree with it won’t make you a better player, but some types of guitar are better suited to certain genres stylistically that others. I would also say that for a semi-pro or professional guitarist that a very good well made one will allow them to get one that works best for them, and goos SQ, but there are some very well made lower priced ones out there as well.

1 Like

Actually, I left out my 2nd guitar which greatly made it easier for me to learn. If your first guitar isn’t set up well, or as in my case, had too narrow a neck for my style, a better guitar can make all the difference, it certainly did for me. But I’m cautious to say that because many, myself included, have bought different gear / guitars in the false hope that it would improve their playing. Playing, not gear, is the more guaranteed way to improvement.

1 Like