Hallo from Austria

Hey everyone :slight_smile: My name is Michael, 34 and just started to play the guitar again.

Did a little bit of playing for about a month or so when i was 18 bc i had quite some free time on my hand, but there were no such great courses back then.

As of now, I got a Squier guitar and an Fender amp (Mustang LT25).

I am just starting out with my guitar journey and try to get the chord changes right. I have a tiny bit of experience from back in the days, but it seems the little skills that I had back then also faded :smiley:

I want to try to get everything down cold, really work on the technique and understand everything properly to build a good guitar foundation and not skip anything, although it is kinda hard sometimes. The toughest thing for me atm are the finger stretches, by far. It seems to be almost impossible to get the beginner stretch exercise right, but working on it :smiley:

My favorite style of music is rock. I hope that I will, one day, be able to play songs of bands like AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones and so on.

It is a pleasure to be part of this community :slight_smile:

Back to training now :smiley:

11 Likes

Hey Michael!

Welcome to this awesome family! I’m 3 weeks in to my journey myself at 55 years old! I tried learning guitar 20 years or so ago but life happens as you probably. I recently, as of April 18th of 2024 took the plunge to relearn ot better, learn the guitar and purchased an electric Strat-A-Don as I call it and started this journey to fulfill a lifelong dream of playing the guitar and the music I love to listen to.

I know you’re in the right place as Justin is an awesome teacher! Just take your time and not rush through the lessons. I practice daily following Justin’s lessons and practice routines for 15 to 20 minutes at a time but multiple times a day. I couldn’t be happier with my progress in a short 3 weeks and I’m looking forward to all the knowledge and enjoyment that awaits me as my journey continues.

Best Wishes,

Tony.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Michael

Hi I’m new too, just exploring the site and enjoying it very much

1 Like

Welcome Michael! :slight_smile:

Welcome Michael!

Hi Michael and welcome to the forum! :wave::smiley:

Can’t wait to hear some of that when you feel ready to share! :metal:

Keep at it mate, stay focused and you’ll be cranking out tunes in no time :sunglasses::+1:

Welcome to the community Michael :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Michael,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:

Greetings,Rogier

Hi Michael. You’ll be amazed by how much great info and music there is to absorb from Justin Guitar. When you say [quote=“GimmeLighta, post:1, topic:316000”]
I want to try to get everything down cold, really work on the technique and understand everything properly to build a good guitar foundation and not skip anything,
[/quote]
It reminds me of something an experienced member of this community reminded me once: It’s one thing to know a lot of guitar technique and music theory and another to put that knowledge to use competently on your guitar. So yes, build those foundations well, but don’t race through the courses, and focus on the skills you need to get you playing songs - that’s where the joy is. Have fun!

Hello Michael, and a warm welcome from another Austrian :hugs:.
I started my guitar journey 2yrs ago, and am so glad I found Justin’s course and this fantastic community. It’s such a friendly and helpful place :blush:.
I wish you lots of fun with your six-string-friend :smiley:.

Hi Michael, welcome to the community. It sounds like you are already having fun, which is great. Don’t get too frustrated with the beginner stretches. I still have stretches in my practice in Grade 3. If you find it too difficult, as others in the lesson discussion have posted, you can play the exercise further up the neck on a higher fret (like 7th fret or even 9th fret) and then gradually work your way back towards the first position. Be patient and it will get easier. Have fun playing songs and eventually you will get better.

Welcome Michael you’ve come to the right place. Enjoy the ride.
:sunglasses:

Hi Michael,

nice to meet you! Greetings from a neighbor region/city, Nuremberg. Great decision to restart your guitar journey, and an equally good decision to join the community! Wishing you lots of fun!

Franz

1 Like

Another Austrian.
Welcome to this great community.
You will get a lot of help here if you need any.

2 Likes

Hello Michael & welcome!!!
Here’s something my very first guitar teacher showed me several years ago:
Line up both hands using the little finger (pinky) & stretch the fingers as far as you can… if you’re right handed, you’ll probably get the right hand to stretch just a tiny bit more. Then, several months from now, try again & your left (fretting hand) will be AMAZINGLY MORE STRETCHED !!! It’s cool that you’re able to see a result from all your practice & work!!
Good luck with your guitar journey & keep it fun!!!

Tod from New Mexico USA

Wow, thanks guys for the warm welcome. Unfortunately, I didnt have as much time to practice as i would have like the last 2 months as I had to work a lot of extra hours…but, I will have 2 months off of work starting this coming Thursday.

I am trying to develop a good training schedule to get the most out of the time i have off. Really great and inspiring to see so many replying and granting some tipps and tricks, ty for that :slight_smile:

Been browsing youtube at work ( :smiley: ) quite some and tried to find guitarists / styles that i really like. Ofc, they are all really good, but some stood out for me, especially Sophie Llody, Kfir Ochaion and a guy called TheDoooo (idk his real name, guess he doesnt reveal it).

To me, it sounds like they are not just playing a song, but make the guitar do the singing part as well. No idea how to describe it better, but it is amazing.

So my plan is to work towards that, first doing all beginner courses and pracitcing on e guitar, as well as on an accoustic guitar. Really motiavted to get to work and play, only a couple of days left :slight_smile:

Again, thanks for the warm welcome and so many replies <3

Hello Michael.
Welcome to JustinGuitar and this fantastic community. Please take your time to look around and get to know the wider space.
https://community.justinguitar.com/categories

We are a supportive and encouraging group of students and guitarists from across the world. Essentially, we are all here for music and to improve as players. We truly are a ‘community’. Members help and support one another and a friendly, positive attitude underpins this. We hope that all - young or old, experienced or new players - adopt and foster the pay-it-forward ethos that Justin personifies and embedded all those years ago when he started the website and forum.

Also, please make sure to read the community etiquette announcement for some important information and guidance.

Richard
:grinning: