Happy Together Cover

Pam, I guess we shouldn’t get too fussed about terminology, the end result is more important.

My view would be that you were the producer/mixer on this project. Brian provided some input tracks and gave feedback on mixes.

2 Likes

@Notter, @malz, @philsmith, Thank you each so much for taking the time to listen and so happy you enjoyed our performance.

@brian Remember my ‘Somethin’ Stupid video. I think I remember that’s what got you thinking you would like me to help with “Summer Wine”. And yes that’s where you “planted the seed” for me to ask you when I had another oldie, LOL! Now, as I see you have already done, on to the next one. And once again, thank you so much. It was a fun collaboration!

@sairfingers, a few of my songs I’ve posted are from the oldest lessons I had from my first attempt at playing guitar years ago. I’ve gone through about 45 out of 50 lessons while at the same time learning with Justin. That’s why they are all oldies. The lesson book was from that time frame. They remind me of my younger years also.

No oil well here in my back yard and no grass hardly, due to the world-wide heat wave.

Anyway, so glad it made you feel good when you were transported back to the 60s and thanks for your compliments.

Talking about our collaboration, Brian and I experienced one little hiccup - a delay when he was waiting on me and I was waiting on him. Some email sat in limbo for awhile. The perils of overseas collaboration. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

@crocodile1, who knew how pleasant Brian’s voice truly is!? Always good, but surprisingly smooth and tender when he wants. Glad this song brought it out of him. Oh, and I love being called “chic”. Thank you!

Thank you, @TheMadman_tobyjenner for your lovely complimenting comments. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: So glad you enjoyed!

2 Likes

Hey @LBro! Not sure why the right side vocals shifted to center. I had left and right panned away from center. Also the quote below to Maggie may explain the issue with my vocal’s volume levels dropping out.

Do you add the CLA Vocals simply as another preset to the FX on that track?

Glad you enjoyed it and thank you for your helpful instruction. I learned some things during my attempts on this song about panning, about a second panning knob and also about Mono and Stereo.

Also thank you lots on pointing me to where to find some things. I was so pleased with all of it! You are so helpful and I truly appreciate you.

@jkahn, Thank you so much! Yeah, I asked my 8-yr old grandson to listen to it. He made it about two- thirds through before losing interest, but he commented he heard that song on one of his videos. I can’t remember which one he thought it came from, though. Hehe!

@DarrellW Yeah, Brian was quite a pleasant surprise! Thank you very much for listening. So glad you enjoyed.

@SgtColon Perhaps Brian wore that costume in one of his songs! Yeah, I enjoyed us as a duo. And Thanks for listening! So happy you liked.

@roger_holland :rofl:So funny. Brian in the background, how could it be?:thinking:. And two virtual bows for you! :bowing_woman: :bowing_woman: :heart: :heart: Happy you enjoyed Brian and I Together

5 Likes

That was brilliant. Well done. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi,
Yes indeed, that is one way to do it and might work best for a single singer in simple tracking that is not too complicated. If one has 2 singers I will at times put CLA Vocals in a parent folder and then feed both vocal tracks into it. If like in the case of NaNa and I in Mount Rainier. Where we have a male and female singer. I might put CLA in the parent folder, feeding both child tracks into the parent. Then I would possibly run an EQ Fx on each vox track. Assuming the female vocalist sings higher than the male. I would tend to cut a little high out of the male and boost the low end. Just the opposite when it comes to the female singer. I tend to run a lot of plugs. So anytime I can avoid another instance of a plug being used 2 times, where I can get away with one time is a plus resource wise. The EQ plugs (depending on what ones you use) normally take less resources vs CLA Vocals.

Center Panning - Hum, I thought that was intentional… LOL From what you say now, that was not the case. If you want to PM and possibly have me look at your project and the panning, I have time to do so - your call…

One more thing. I am not sure, but possibly something did not add up on the drums. They may have got out of sync in places. If you watch this performance (you may already have…), you can hear and in some cases see that the drummer is hitting the snare in many cases on every beat. Even they do the drums a bit screwy if you ask me. So I can imagine it was hard to try and cover them…

All the best and I think for your first collaboration production, it came out pretty darn good!

LB

1 Like

That was FAN-TAS-TIC guys, really loved those harmonies and you together made me very happy while listening to this great gem. Haven’t heard the original for ages as well so thanks for a nice reminder!

1 Like

Hi Pamela, a brilliant song and a brilliant video performance by you and Brian. Thank you.

1 Like

@adi_mrok Hey Adrian! Nice to hear from you! So glad you liked another one from my old lesson book. Five more to go out of 50 lessons! Yay! It’s fun to pull out some haven’t-heard-in-a-while oldies.

@DAVE_J Brilliant! Ooh, I like that word! Thanks bunches! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :bowing_woman:

2 Likes

Wow, this really stirred up the memories cave. A fun song and you two did it justice, and it’s nice to hear Brian sing a song I’ve heard of :woozy_face:
Well done for getting your feet wet in the production end of things.

2 Likes

Hi Pam/Brian,

Super summery song - lifting the clouds which currently lie over our village.
Vocals work well together. Nice harmonies.

I’d perhaps have inched up the music a little/ or drop the vocal back a touch - but I tend to err on the slightly buried vocal style, so ignore me. :slight_smile:

Always great to hear collaborations.

Digger

1 Like

Good song done very well. Good job guys!

1 Like

Hey @oldhead49. Thank you! Nice to hear from you. Glad Brian & I could stir up good memories for you. It wasn’t the first time I tried Reaper, but it was the first time I did the mixing/production mostly from my end.

@Digger72 thank you bunches! Yeah, usually most will say the vocals should be ever so slightly louder than the instrumentals, that is, if I understood correctly. Thank you for listening and glad you enjoyed our “Happy” song.

@Willsie01 Thank you so much for listening. I’m glad you liked!

1 Like

oh this made me smile; love it!
Very creative take!

cheers @brianlarsen and @pkboo3 ! :smiley:

Agreed on the backing vocal; it could a it more out here, cutting some volume and frequencies, perhaps some reverb too. Worked very well on the “papapapa” part though!

1 Like

This is Pam’s baby, so I’m letting her do all the hard lifting of responding to the lovely comments, but I am enjoying basking in her spotlight :sunglasses:
Thanks all!

2 Likes

Thank you, @LievenDV. Glad we got a smile out of you!

So should backing and harmony vocals be as even in volume as the main vocals? Some of the lower volume on parts were lowered intentionally because I don’t like my tone when I go high. The other parts were where I felt I had to sing loud with compression to get that high and it felt a little strained. Also, due to having lots to learn within Reaper. I appreciate you and the others for their helpful critique. It helps a lot in the learning process.

@brianlarsen of course you are welcome to comment if you want. :+1:

for backing vocals; especially ina song like this, I would roll off the volume a bit, roll off the treble and apply some reverb to make it more “airy”.

Since you are 2 voices already, you should remain in the front with your main vocal lines so you have a distinction what the lead and what the backing vocals are. now there are moments there is a second version of yourself being “right next to you” instad of “behind you”. the “papapa” part is an exception because you want to achieve that kind of complexity there.