Have You Ever Seen The Rain - Cover- First basic production

Hi Shane, I enjoyed your performance very much. Nothing to say about the technical aspects, because that’s all new ground for me. I’m only a beginner, doing my first approach to this fantastic song and not an expert at all, but I think you’re doing really fine. I think you have a great basis with your voice, which sounds very pleasant to me, you should absolutely take advantage to have a good sounding voice. And: I think you can be much more confident about your singing and playing. This is such a powerful song. Give it some extra spice, I’m sure you can :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Hey Toby,
Thanks for the feedback mate. Much appreciated.
And a BIG thanks for your recording/ mixing method. Ive watched alot of videos and read alot of stuff in the last week or so. I think I’ve been over-complicating things, and absorbing too much crap online. (besides this community of course).
Your two parargraphs have suddenly made it all very clear. No more obsessing over ‘OBS multitrack audio outputs’, as i dont even need it. Seems so obvious now, I could kick myself. Some minor details I’ll need to get across, but will have a crack at it tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

UPDATE: Recording method all working sweet as now, using Rearoute, importing video back to Reaper, then synching/ processing from there. You’re a legend Toby. Can’t believe I was making it so complicated. Now I need to learn how to stop wandering away from the mic while playing/ singing while standing up. :sweat_smile:

Cheers, Shane.

Great song, the playing was tight, thanks for sharing!

The confidence with singing comes once you start believing in it.

Thanks John for the kind feedback.
You’re right there about the singing too.

Cheers, Shane.

Glad to have helped Shane. I guess the use of a DAW and OBS is a relative new thing, so the more we share our experiences the more folks learn. Pretty much how I developed my limited Reaper skills from some old stalwarts on the original forum. Finding that I could not only drop a video into Reaper and also render the video with the mixed audio tracks was a god send. I had wasted countless hours on project, pushing sound files into a video editor and trying to stitch it together there :scream: :scream: :scream: But the most important thing is that click track or drum count-in. The waveform is so distinctive, it makes lining every thing a doddle. Like most things in life, the more you do something the easier it gets.
:sunglasses:

@TheMadman_tobyjenner

Perhaps a good topic for a ‘how to’ topic that we can add to the Recording sub-category, Toby? I have no idea how to do that, beyond dropping a video file into Reaper. If not too much effort I think others may benefit from a write up?

Great idea David.
From a novice perspective, the last 2 weeks has exposed the enormous amount of misinformation and ambiguity on the web about this subject. And I consider myself fairly tech savvy, and a discerning researcher. Must be
a nightmare for those who are less proficient in these things.

Yet @TheMadman_tobyjenner (aka LEGEND!) revealed the entire method in about 3 sentences. Showing yet again, the tremendous value of this community.

Once I got past the initial learning curve of moving around in Reaper, and then @TheMadman_tobyjenner revealed the secret sauce, the whole process became fairly straight forward.
A sticky would certainly be a godsend for novices delving into DAWS/ recording.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Once again Toby, many, many thanks. Yep, the Reaper video processing capability, and the click track made it all suddenly very clear, thanks to your post.

We definitely need a sticky in this one.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Great job Shane. I’m practicing the palm muting for this. How long did it take you to get it right?

Hi Sandy,

Thank you for the kind words.

The palm muting just sort of happened, once I eventually locked into the rhythm. Its not something I actually practiced specifically, although I was always conscious of it earlier on, as it was initially ‘choppy’ and forced. I think it works that way for most people.
Looking back, the big breakthrough for me was doing Justin’s Strumming Techniques course. Absolutely brilliant course, that completely changed my feel for rhythm and strumming. Thats when the palm muting developed as a consequence. Many people recommend this course, and at about $10AUS, Justin is basically giving it away. Detailed video tuition, with accompanying worksheets to accompany these. Highly recommend this, as I think you’ll get alot out of it.

With WYWH specifically, I listened to the song many, many times, and slowed it down alot initially, to try and lock into that 16th note strumming pattern - sometimes by just tapping a ruler on the desk. It is a deceptively tricky rhythm, but once I got it internalised, the palm muting sorted itself out. A great song, that has taught me alot.
I believe it will work the same way for you.

All the best.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Very nicely done Shane. I was really impressed with your strumming hand just swinging through on perfect rhythm. It never stopped. Awesome. I can hear a really good voice in there and agree with you that you held back a bit. It takes some doing and will,power :rofl:, but just let loose and pretend you are doing a live gig in your room. Works for me.
Well done :clap::clap::clap:
Cheers
Ron

Thanks for the kind words Ron. Just realised you’re a fellow Aussie :+1:.

Singing is new to me, but I actually feel I might have something to work with. I’m still at that sort of hesitant , held back stage, not quite sure of myself vocally,but you’re right, I just need to loosen up a bit. Just time I suppose.

Seen your recent videos. Absolutely tremendous voice Ron. Perfect tone, and a pleasure to listen too.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like