Hearing licks in songs - does anyone else experience this?

I have been trying to learn some lead guitar but it takes quite a long time for my fingers to get it lol. I usually try and learn a song (rhythm parts) and used to leace it at that. Now i will try and learn the solo and am currently trying to learn the 1st solo from ac/dc’s back in black. Since starting this one i have started to hear the licks in songs. I have been listening to a lot of these songs for a lot of years and know them quite well and this changes the way i hear music. Kinda weird but also kinda cool. Anyone else get this?

3 Likes

Absolutely, it’s all part of the learning process. It’s a really great stage to be finding easier, it also will help you find your own voice. Listening and analysing is a big part of learning when you start to play solos and general lead guitar; you also learn a lot about how difficult it is when you try to reinvent the wheel!

1 Like

Yes, it’s a feeling of great satisfaction when it happens. At times I think I can recognize the same note in different songs, and this is something that has stated only recently (I don’t have perfect pitch). It doesn’t happen constantly, but when it does, I feel sort of special. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Definitely the case! The more you learn the more stuff you are able to pick up while listening which is a moment of realisation to be proud of :blush:

1 Like