Hello from Atlanta, GA - I'm Vinnie

Welcome Vinnie! Glad to have you here! Especially with a background in music and teaching. A good combo to share what you learn!

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome, Richard. Yes, you’ve helped me in some previous posts on the old community pages. Always enjoying reading your posts. I appreciate it so much!
Cheers,
Vinnie

1 Like

Thanks Jamolay,
I appreciate the nice welcome. I’m excited to be here and to keep learning guitar. It’s been a great journey so far.
Best to you,
Vinnie

Welcome, Vinnie. I will now be on my best behavior and try to use proper grammar and spell correctly :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Only kidding!
I am just finishing up Grade 2 myself after 18 months or so. Trying to be sure I have a decent grip on things before I move on to Grade 3 as I have not had any music training before Justin. Don’t be afraid to sing in front of your girlfriend. It is great practice and adds to the enjoyment of the songs, in my opinion. I sing badly and my wife let’s me know but she also tries to help me improve.
It would be great to see some recordings of your playing in the AVoYP section.

2 Likes

Hello Vinnie! I agree with ChasetheDream (sorry, don’t know how to do the quote thing yet)…don’t be afraid to sing in front of your girlfriend, I’m sure she’d love it. My husband sings a few songs well and I like it when he does.

1 Like

Hey Vinnie, what a great introduction. You’ve got the goods to make it happen - attitude, experience and a will to learn.

This will become an increasing dilemma as you discover the high-ways and by-ways of making music. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Stick with Justin’s course so you build a solid foundation, note the detours that pique your curiosity and it will all weave together into a satisfying tapestry of musical expression.

This thread is a great place for your first recordings.
Beginners’s Safe Space

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community Vinnie. You’ll get lots of encouragement and support here.
Remember to leave an empty chapter at the end of your memoir that you can fill with details of your guitar journey! :smiley:

1 Like

Great to meet you hear, Vinnie.

Look forward to hearing you play that Gretsch, now how’s about a picture for us to drool over.

1 Like

Hi Vinnie, good to meet you here. Sounds like you’ve got loads of ideas and experience. Look forward to hearing you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

ChasetheDream - yeah, haha! I’m a totally tolerant grammarian. Ain’t gotta use no proper grammar with me. Well, you know.

Sounds like we’re at pretty much the same level - grade 2 after 18 months. If I waited until I had a much more sound grip on all of grade 2, I’d never get to grade 3. So, I think the grade 3 practice schedule will help me keep working on those items in grade 2 that need work.

I’m considering putting some items in the AVoYP section soon. Thanks for the warm welcome!

• Vinnie

Thanks batwoman - the solid foundation is important to me. I never got that with piano. And I will certainly avail myself of the beginner’s Safe space very soon! Thanks for the encouragement.

Cheers,
Vinnie

DavidP - I have a day off tomorrow. I’ll upload a pic of the Gretsch sometime then. It’s definitely drool worthy. I’m not so good playing it yet, but I’m coming along.

• Vinnie

Thanks Tim! Not so much experience with the guitar - 18 months, but oh my goodness, I’m having such a blast. Looking forward to sharing soon. Thanks for the welcome!

• Vinnie

Thanks for the welcome, Heatherxx. I’ll practice some singing. It’s funny, I can sing a bit along with the piano. When I try to sing with the guitar, since I’m playing chords and not melody, my voice follows the chords and not the melody — uhhh… lol. it made trying to sing Christmas songs that I know very well very odd indeed! But I’ll give it a better go soon. I’m thinking help, like wine… maybe whiskey! haha

• Vinnie
1 Like

sairfingers - Thanks for the welcome. I think in my afterward - which is the one piece not written yet - I will be mentioning guitar and sailing.

Learning guitar has been a big part of keeping my creative spirit going as I’ve been writing this book. Definitely been a challenge, and the guitar helped me get out of my head. That and watching Get Back on Disney+ Oh my goodness!

Cheers,
Vinnie

Like anything, the more you practice it the easier it will get.

:+1: A whisky or two probably wouldn’t go astray.

1 Like

Hi Vinnie and welcome to the community. You are in good company here. I think you’ll find most here have good days and not so good days. The not so good days make the good days that much more enjoyable.

I too am looking forward to seeing and hearing that Gretsch.

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome frito! Grestch picture coming up soon.

Cheers,
Vinnie

Hey everyone - here it is - The Gretsch - G2657T Streamliner Center Block Jr. Double-Cut with Bigsby.

• Vinnie
3 Likes

Hi @VinnieV08 that Gretsch looks great!
I think you keep up with realistisch expectation management when it comes to your own progress. If you find friction along the way or you want to share your progress; always welcome to share here!