Hello from Keith. I'm a 61 year old beginner currently struggling with strumming

Hi everyone, I am a recurring returning student. I have tried learning to play the guitar since i was in my teens but always failed. Finding this Justine guitar course has made me think that I may be able to learn.
I am working through the beginner module 3 and trying to play along to a song.
I would love to know if there are learners who meet online to help each other.

10 Likes

Welcome to the forum Keith. Everyone on the forum help each other though the lessons. Each lesson has its own thead connected through the website to the forum. Feel free to ask anytime you need help.
You can start your own Learning Log Learning Logs to keep track of your progress. It allows others to see your progress and give you better advice by getting to know you better.
You also find many people here with a similar guitar story.

2 Likes

Hi Keith,
Welcome in the forum, I’ve just tried to learn the strumming pattern for the song: ‘You do something to me’ (Paul Weller), and saw your question.
I think if you are not yet used to strumming, you should start with a paper thin pick first, then gradually when your confidence grows, you can use thicker picks. The thickest picks I use currently are the yellow ones from Dunlop I guess. I started with their white ones, then got the grey ones, red ones and finally these yellow ones. It also depends on the song. Currently, I’m using a white pick (the paper thin ones) again for the song Tequila Sunrise (Eagles) as the thicker ones get stuck in the strings sometimes.
Hope you have a good start-over, take the course(s) one by one, practice a lot, register your own progress, and you’ll have a lifetime of fun ahead of you. Regards,
Chris

3 Likes

Hello Keith & welcome!
I’m 60, have been “playing” for years & when I discovered Justin’s online lessons about a year ago, I couldn’t believe how much I didn’t know! Some tips…
- Try to pick up the guitar and practice for at least 10-15 minutes every day!
- Keep the guitar handy, on a stand or hanging on the wall so that when you have a few extra minutes (I pick mine up while waiting for the coffee to brew in the morning) just strum that new pattern or a scale, etc.
- Listen to music with an ear for chord changes, strumming/picking patterns and song structure… it’ll help with your level of understanding !
- Follow the lesson plan Justin has laid out, it really, really, really works!!!

Good luck with your guitar journey, remember that it’s not a sprint, it’s a marathon! :man_running:t2:

Tod

2 Likes

Oh, to address your initial question, are you thinking of something like a “Zoom” meeting to practice together or helping/tutoring each other with problem areas in each other’s playing?
I don’t know of anyone doing that here but I’m still a bit of a newbie with the Community site…
Maybe one of the veterans here can help!

Tod

1 Like

Welcome, Keith. I’m in my 60s as well and really just started in January. I don’t know about meeting online, I am sure some may be able to do that, but we do ask and answer lots of questions and post photos and videos to help each other along.

1 Like

Hey Keith welcome I am 53 and been with Justin for 9 months and learned a lot with strumming. I struggled with that so I bought the strumming course and suggested that for anyone that needs strumming help . I am interested in helping and practice with anyone via online or meet up. Let me know and good luck.

1 Like

Hi Keith,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:

And as advised, start a learning log and ask the questions you want to ask (also outside your Learning Log) and the answers will come :sunglasses:

Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hey Keith

Welcome to the forum. We all do our best on here to help each other along to better guitar goodness.

1 Like

Welcome aboard, Keith! Glad you joined us. :slight_smile:

As mentioned by the others already, we’re all here to connect and help each other. :smiley:
For the moment, I wish you loads of fun on your journey!

Cheers - Lisa

2 Likes

Hi Keith and welcome to the community. You won’t go far wrong by following Justin’s beginner course and I really hope that it works for you this time. I don’t know if any folks here actually meet online but I myself had many skype and zoom lessons when I first started playing. Good luck.

1 Like

Hi Keith,
Nice to meet you. Good luck with your guitar journey.
Best wishes,
Alan

1 Like

Hello Keith and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

If you stick with Justin’s course I’m sure you will achieve what you are wanting to on the guitar.

1 Like

Another welcome Keith, hope you’re having fun! My advice to your question, get involved with the Community here and get to know a few of the people, no doubt you’ll find some kindred spirits who’d be happy to meet and do something online. What I would not suggest though is trying to play together online (ie at the same time), internet delays just won’t make it practical or good, but perhaps as sounding boards and reciprocal live feedback it could be a good shout.

Either way enjoy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Keith, welcome to the community. As others have said you can get help and advice on playing guitar on this site. I also agree with the advice that Justin recommends to start with a thin flexible pick and use simple strums at first. You can practice strumming while lightly holding your fingers down on the fretboard to deaden the strings so you can focus on strumming. I still do that to practice strumming. It takes time but eventually strumming will feel natural and you can strum without thinking about it. Have fun learning your beginning songs.

1 Like

Hello Keith.
Welcome to JustinGuitar and the Community. It’s great you have found Justin’s lessons, he offers structure and a sure path to follow from the very beginning. Thousands and thousands have learned using his lessons. If you need any help with a lesson specific question or with any general guitar learning question then do not hesitate to ask. Every lesson on the website has a video lesson, written content to supplement it, an orange click-button to take you to a Community topic for Q&As about the lesson etc.
There are many good folk here who will happily offer help and encouragement to those coming up behind them on Justin’s Beginner Courses. They embody and carry the pay-it-forward ethos we have nurtured for many years in our community. There are many old hands too who have years and (hopefully) a bit of wisdom they can bring as they give their support to those hitting the road blocks - which we all do.

Hopefully this tip topic I wrote will help you. Many people have issues when going from chord changes in isolation to chord changes at a tempo and in a consistent time when playing to a song or backing track.

Just ask if you need anything.
Cheers :slight_smile:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Community Moderator.

Thank you so much for replying to my question. I am starting a new job tomorrow which involves sleepovers. Once I get my head around the new rota and the available time to practice, I would like to catch up with you.
The amazing response to my question is very encouraging. I am making progress, still some finger pain, but much better.
Thanks
Keith