Hello from Jennifer, in Portland, OR!

Hi, I’m Jennifer from Oregon. My guitar journey started 9 months ago. I was raised in a very musical household (my parents were in a band together when I was younger) and although I loved music, I never thought I could be a musician or learn to be proficient on an instrument. I took piano lessons in elementary school and I hated it, so I had just assumed I wouldn’t be good at another instrument.

At age 39 (currently 40) I picked up my first electric guitar and I fell in LOVE. I’ve been learning using a combo of Justin’s lessons and long distance zoom lessons with a family member. I am learning so much and although I am still new, I feel like I am progressing on my goal to become a solid intermediate player. I would also love to be able to sing and play!

I’m excited to meet you all and maybe my introverted self will get up enough courage to join in on one of the open mics in the future.

10 Likes

Hi Jennifer, welcome to the community. You’ll find plenty of help and friendly encouragement here.

2 Likes

Welcome Jennifer,

Isn’t it funny how we think thoughts like ‘I could never’. I had similar thoughts about learning guitar until I stumbled into JG website.
Justin has a great teaching method which I find really demystifies the guitar and makes you realise you can to it if you put in the effort/time.

The community is also awesome. Lots of good people in here always willing to help out and encourage.

Enjoy your journey

3 Likes

Sounds like you have good plan, with Justin and lessons. Welcome and don’t forget everyone is here to help, if you ever need it.
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Good to meet you and welcome Jennifer! It sounds like you’re on a great path already which will only be helped by everyone here, good luck! :+1:

2 Likes

Welcome, Jennifer. Keep following the programme, slow and steady, and in time you’ll learn to play and sing, be ready to record and share your playing (the sooner the better) and then to the OM. Many of us, have taken the path and achieved more than we imagined.

2 Likes

Hi Jennifer,
Welcome, and I wish you a lot of fun…and I look forward to your first video with guitar in your hands, that is often a smaller/easier step than playing live in front of a camera…but of course it is possible jump into the deep end all at once :sweat_smile:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Hello Jennifer and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

Slow and steady wins the race and follow along with Justin’s course and you’ll be performing live before you know it.

2 Likes

A belated welcome, Jennifer! I hope you have been doing well and enjoying your time with your guitar!

2 Likes

Than you so much! I am. I am now coming up on one full year with the guitar and I feel like I have learned so much!

2 Likes

Hi Jennifer,

Welcome to the forum. I am glad you decided to take the step towards learning guitar even though piano did not work for you years ago. I played the drums when I was about ten years old and didn’t take to that too well, so kind of felt the same. Maybe I had no musical talent in me. Fast forward 20 years and I played guitar miserably and put it to rest until another 15 years later I found Justin guitar online. Not only did I rekindle my interest in playing, but do rather well at it using his techniques. You will make leaps and bounds in your progress if you keep it moving one day at a time. Record yourself and look back at your progress. You will be able to sing and play as well. Just give it time and take baby steps. A lot of us post videos of ourselves, myself included, playing and singing. Everyone here is still a work in progress so any feedback is honest and polite. Looking forward to hearing you play at some point. Enjoy the journey

Jeff from California

3 Likes

Thank you Jeff!

I need to remember to document my playing along the way. My husband took a video of me the first day I got my guitar trying to play a D chord. I have already come a long way since that day! Justin is such a good teacher and has a very good grasp of what beginners struggle with.

3 Likes

I bet!! Yeah I remember it felt amazing how much I learned in my first year. Justin is such an incredible teacher and communicator.

2 Likes

Hello Jennifer
I am late to the welcoming party :slight_smile:
You are blessed to have music all around, a guitarist in the family who can teach one2one alongside Justin’s lessons.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Jennifer from Portland, OR. This is Greg from Portland, OR - Actually Oregon City :wink:

1 Like

Hi Greg, always nice to meet a fellow Oregonian on here :+1: :guitar:

Jennifer, welcome to the community.

Jim from PDX. Got your DM in my inbox. Replied but it seems to have bounced.