Hello from Eric in San Diego

Hi everyone, My name is Eric and I’m 58 y/o slight beginner as I’ve played an acoustic many moons ago and was gifted by my Navy son with an electric combo pack for Christmas. He taught me some basics while on leave here in San Diego so I’ve been learning some simple intros-“Smoke on the water” anyone? , but decided I wanted to really learn how to get as good as him. Stumbled upon Justin on Youtube and saw he has ‘how to’s’ so here I am.
I’ve already built a pedal board for the DS-1 and Donner Revecho as I am into Shoegaze and older Punk and Rock.
Rock on people

8 Likes

Hey Eric, welcome to the community. I lived in LA in the 70s and did a job in San Diego. Fun times. I started playing ten years ago when I was 53 and Justin gave me a great start on my guitar journey, it’s been very well worth it. Stick at it, the first couple of months require dedication and then it starts to get fun.

2 Likes

Welcome, Eric. You have come to a great place to learn to play. Follow Justin’s structured programme and you will achieve your goal and have lots of fun along the way.

2 Likes

Hello Eric. A very warm welcome to the community.

In that case, you are in the right place. Start with Grade 1 and go through all the structured lessons and practice routines in the order presented. You can’t go wrong if you do that and seek support and encouragement over here too.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome Eric!!

Yes! The first I’ve played even before of knowing how to hold the guitar :joy:.

:metal::guitar:

2 Likes

Hello and welcome Eric. :slight_smile:

Follow the course and you’ll be banging out tunes before you know it.

2 Likes

Hello Eric, I’m also 58 and in San Diego, small world. Started the Justin module 1 in May, and have been at it pretty steadily through now - December. Finished module 2 a few weeks ago and decided to reward myself with a new Telecaster. So, having fun now with the new Tele, and my older Taylor acoustic. I’ll plink around a bit more through the lessons in module 2, then hit module 3 in early January.

2 Likes

Hi mgresser, Wow that’s great progress. I started mod 2 and had so much fun with stuck 3/4 chords that I’m stuck on that lesson because they sound so good. :grin: Gotta get moving on with lessons again though because the kid will be here on leave again after Christmas. He’s gonna be amazed at my playing and my Boss Katana. I wish you the best in your journey. I’m in South Bay, I.B. btw

1 Like

Welcome to Justin Guitar. I’ve been doing Justin’s course over two years now. Justin’s methods are fantastic. Glad to see you get started. Grab an acoustic and play on the beach sometime. If the timing is right you’ll eventually see my playing guitar on Mission Beach. I’m glad to see another San Diegan here.

Jeff

2 Likes

Don’t forget to post some good classic rock here when your comfortable. Check out my videos or others in the community. We’re all a work in progress and supportive of one another.

2 Likes

I can play “Lannoy Point” by Ride even the break riff, “Crank” by Catherine Wheel, and now the intro to “Sweet Leaf” . I like classic rock but trend alternative reverb style. Only get an hour to practice due to work but I always practice. Mission Beach is :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I work entirely too many hours too. San Diego cost of living demands it lol. Practice when you can- great song choices.

2 Likes

Hi Eric, welcome. Draw inspiration from whoever you find inspiring, but measure your progress only against yourself, and if you follow Justin Guitar lessons and practice regularly you’ll be a better guitarist today that you were yesterday.

2 Likes