Hello I'm John (aka Hammer) in Tasmania, Australia. I'm old but new

hi, Hammer here. just beginning my journey. have a bacchus live road 98, and now looking for an amp. looking at the boss katana 50 watt, did see a second hand peavey vypr 30 watt modelling amp. not sure which way to go,

4 Likes

Hey hammer, welcome!

The Katana is like the worldā€™s most popular home amp must be a reason for it!

Hello John and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

I have a Katana 50MKII and I wish Iā€™d have gone with the 100 just for the fx input, so I can stick pedals in there.

Welcome to the Community, Hammer. Youā€™ll find lots of Katana users here and Justin himself recommends it. I canā€™t comment on the merits of the Vypr. From memory I think it depends on the specific model.

Welcome to the community, great to hear from another Aussie. Look forward to hearing more.

Justin and his acolytes swear by the Katanas.
The only debate seems to be is it worth shelling out the extra dosh for the 100 with an fx loop (for pedals that @SgtColon doesnā€™t need :laughing:).
I bought a Peavey Vypr (15W) early on my journey and hardly ever used it. I thought it was complicated and not at all intuitive. Having learnt a little more about amp effects and watched a couple of tutorials, itā€™s actually a pretty decent amp.
Pound for pound it blows my Yamaha THR out of the water, but thatā€™s because I only paid Ā£40 for it. They are completely different beasts.
If the Vypr is a bargain, go for it.
If you want to treat yourself to a nice quality product, get the Katana.
Now is that the 50 or 100 ā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

Welcome Hammer, enjoy the journey!!
Iā€™m a Yamaha THR owner so canā€™t offer anything on your amp question Iā€™m afraid but whichever one you land on Iā€™m sure youā€™ll be served well :slight_smile:

Welcome to the community hammer. Looking forward to hearing you play. There are many good amps out there, depending on your budget and what you want it to do. Last year I bought a Fender Mustang amp and absolutely love it. Take care

Jeff from California

Hello all, Hammer from Tasmania, Australia. Have had a guitar for some years , but unfortunately never learned how to play. So I have recently purchased a Fender Telecaster 60s modified. Donā€™t know much about them but I like the look and sound. I am 64 years young and have been looking at all types of YouTube instructions for guitar and have little progress. Seem to spend more time watching music than learning. Common fault maybe. But I always return to Justin Guitar, so maybe itā€™s time to get serious and purchase a course.
Cheers

8 Likes

Hi John, welcome to the in croud. Enjoy the journey.

R.

2 Likes

Hi John, if you are seriously interested in learning how to play guitar, youā€™ve found the right place. Give yourself a push, enter Justins website and start at Grade 1, Module 1, Lesson 1. Faster than you can imagine, you have taken your first step on to the running train that never stops anymore :wink:. If you stick with it, youā€™ll get a lot of fun out of it.

3 Likes

Welcome.

There is alot of courses at justinguitar that are free so if u follow the modules u will be playing songs in no time :slight_smile:

Cheers

3 Likes

Welcome. Is that one of the Vintera series Telecasters? I ask because I have a 60s Tele modified from that series.

Definitely give the beginners course on Justin Guitar a go. Iā€™ve been on with it for the past 4 months and made good progress. Rather than spending money on a course you might want to consider a subscription to Justinā€™s Songs app instead to go along with his lessons. Iā€™ve spent a lot of time using it and having actual songs to play along to has made a big difference. I think thereā€™s a 7 day free trial if you are unsure about it

2 Likes

Hi John,
Welcome , and as said, start at the beginning and then it will ā€œautomaticallyā€ be fine, ā€¦ I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Hello, yes itā€™s the 60s modified Tele. Blue in colour. Itā€™s the second electric guitar I have purchased. The other is a second hand Bacchus live road about a 97 model, same shape as a Gibson Les Paul. Different sound to the Tele, has 2 humbucker pickups. Also an old Yamaha acoustic, had that for about40 years, never learned to play it. I play the electrics through a Boss Katana mk2 100. All the gear and no ideašŸ˜. Thanks for the reply mate. Hopefully I can stick with it and eventually get the hang of it.
Cheers.

5 Likes

Yes, itā€™s the same Tele as mine, same colour and everything :blush:

1 Like

Welcome Hammer.

Plenty to get you motivated with Justin. Enjoy, those guitars look fantastic, Iā€™m sure youā€™ll have them sounding fantastic in no time :wink:

1 Like

Hello and welcome to our community John. :slight_smile:

No purchase necessary on Justinā€™s graded guitar courses. So no time like the present.

1 Like

Hello Hammer, and a warm Welcome to the community :hugs:.
Youā€™ve found the perfect place to start your guitar journey. And with these beautiful instruments, Iā€™m sure, youā€™ll have great fun along your guitar journey :smiley:.

1 Like

That looks a lot like mine, also ~40 years old. Iā€™m curious about the model, can you see the model number inside the sound hole?

1 Like