Hello there, Nathan in the UK

Hello! Great to be here, I am Nathan from the UK, been learning (myself) the acoustic guitar for around six months now as I wanted to learn something new and play for friends. And I love music.

I have a new yahama f310 I have been using. Not sure if this is a good starter guitar?.

I can play quite a few songs now, like oasis, rem and some current tracks. I practice just about every day for around 2-3 hours, yes my fingers kill.

I use you tube videos, Justin’s app, and online guitar tabs to help me learn.

12 Likes

Hi Nathan

Welcome to the community, look forward to hearing more from you and learning more about your guitar journey.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Nathan

2 Likes

Hi Nathan,
Welcome and with that time playing a day we see you soon in AVOYP sectie :sunglasses:
I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Welcome Nathan, from across the pond. Great bunch of folks here. Sorry, can’t help about the guitar, I only bought my Fender Squier 2.5months ago.

2 Likes

Welcome Nathan! All the best with your guitar journey! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

Hiya Nathan, sounds like a great start and good for you in deciding to learn, Justin’s the right path to take! :wink:

I can’t comment on your guitar model specifically but it was a Yamaha acoustic that got me playing in the first place so can’t be too bad I’m sure!! If you have fun playing it then it’s good :+1:

All the best!

1 Like

Hello Nathan and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

Sounds like some great artist’s to cover. Maybe you should look at Brian Adam’s, summer of 69. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks I’ll have a look at that one today!

1 Like

Hello Nathan,

It seems to be very reasonable choice, hopefully it will serve you well until you start yearning for another guitar :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

Welcome Nathan,
Great to hear from you and on your guitar journey.
Sounds like you have great motivation and are enjoying it and putting the work in.
My first guitar was also a yahama from ebay.
Hope to hear more from you :+1:

2 Likes

Welcome, Nathan!!!
Your guitar is good for a starter.
There pain in the fingers are natural, and practicing every day is great!
You might want to split the 2-3 hours per day into smaller times of 3 to 4 30-minute sessions.
Playing for about an hour will surely deliver the pain in your fingertips.
As you develop the callus in your fingertips, the pain will be lessened.
And even with callus, your finger will definitely hurt with playing for more than an hour.
Keep on playing.
Rene

3 Likes

Great man :exclamation: Playing all those after 6 months :exclamation: Great :exclamation: Great energy :exclamation: Welcome in the group Nathan :exclamation: You’ll see, it’a very nice, supportive, motivated and kind group. Welcome :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi Nathan, welcome to the community. Good you are already playing some songs you like. It doesn’t hurt checking on other learning resources, but I think you should stick to Justin Guitar method a your main learning path. I do not have experience with acoustic Yamahas, I have an electric, but I think that if it’s allowing you to learn what you have learnt so far and the songs you are playing are sounding good, upgrading you guitar is not an absolute need. One think to check is the action (distance from the strings to the fretboard). Although I have also an inexpensive guitar I took it for a setup one year ago and the technician corrected the action. It has been a lot more enjoyable to play since then (some would say to spend the money in a better guitar, but more expensive guitars also may need a setup; although, sometimes is included in the price by some guitar stores)

3 Likes

Thanks for advice

1 Like

Nathan, Welcome to the community forum. I second the advice to get the action height checked and split up your practice into smaller sessions. More than 1 hour of playing is heard on beginners fingers until you get calluses.

2 Likes

Hello Nathan.
Welcome to JustinGuitar and the Community. I’m catching up with a whole bunch of Introduce Yourself topics so I’m arriving late to the hello and welcome party. You’re now several months further along - I hope the repertoire, the skills and the enjoyment are growing.
:slight_smile:
The Community and website are large. If you need any help with a lesson specific question or with any general guitar learning question then do not hesitate to ask. There are many good folk here who will happily offer help and encouragement to those coming up behind them on Justin’s Beginner Courses. They embody and carry the pay-it-forward ethos we have nurtured for many years in our community. There are many old hands too who have years and (hopefully) a bit of wisdom they can bring as they give their support to those hitting the road blocks - which we all do.
Just ask if you need anything.
Cheers :slight_smile:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Community Moderator.