Hello! Tom (Formerly TCB) signing in

Hey everyone! Tom here – previously known as TCB on the forum. I started reading posts here on the Community when the doors first opened, but ran into the situation of my forum username already being in use on Justin’s website. Lieven and the development team have been very helpful in addressing that situation, and, when completed, I’ll once again adopt the “TCB” username.

I really like the new Community – it’s a significant upgrade over the “legacy” forum. Kudos to the project team for having the vision to provide an updated platform, for the significant work involved in such a launch, and to the forum members who participated in the initial testing efforts.

Tom

4 Likes

Weclome to the new Community Tom

1 Like

Good to see you here Tom.

Thanks Stitch & David - I appreciate it!

I recently passed the two year mark of following Justin’s beginners course, have made way more progress than I had thought possible, and there’s still so much to learn… I bought my first guitar in 1997 and had a few failed attempts to learn to play over the years, but never made much progress. Then I picked it up again in November of 2019 when I found Justin’s website and I look forward to learning new material, practicing, and playing songs nearly every day. A lot of the credit for my success go to Justin for his encouraging, structured approach to teaching, and to members of this community for their encouragement and support.

Tom

2 Likes

Good to see you Tom :sunglasses:

Hi Tom, thanks for touching base with us. I’m glad you’re here.

Hi Tom, would like to see your performances so I can guage what completing year 2 will look like. Welcome!

Scott

The problem is we all learn at different speeds so you cannot compare like for like. Someone practicing consistently 2 hours a day for 2 years is going to more advanced (or should be) than someone who’s only does say 30 minutes a day. Be careful of comparing apples with pears. We all make our journey’s our own way, :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone - I appreciate the warm welcome!

Scott - Toby is right - though it’s difficult not to compare our own progress with others’, we each learn at our own speed. And - I’ve taken quite some time over the past 6 months or so to consolidate what I’ve learned so far, and to work on songs with the F chord to improve my ability to play it. (I plan to post one of those soon to ask for some feedback…). I’m not in a hurry to complete the beginner course. Instead, I’m taking my time to work on improving my ability to use what I’ve learned so far. Others may be driven by the sense of accomplishment of completing lessons quickly, and that’s okay if that’s their objective. It’s just not mine. To paraphrase what other members here much more experienced than me have said - this is a marathon, not a sprint. Enjoy the journey!

Tom

3 Likes

Good to see you Tom. Looking forward to hearing that lovely LP.

Thanks Gordon!

The F chord changes I’ve been working on improving are on my acoustic… they’re so much easier on an electric. As you’ve said, it just takes practice. Lots and lots of practice. :roll_eyes:

Tom

Understood. Also, I’m the guy who’s taken almost a full year to complete grade 1

@Tom_B Welcome to the new community. Your explanation of the username conflict explains to me or a least hints to me why I was able to get my preferred username on the new community.

Hi @tony - thanks for the welcome!

Tom

1 Like

Hi Tom … aka TCB … :slight_smile:

Just a quick update - I’ve become somewhat accustomed to the “Tom_B” username, so I’ve decided to stick with it. I’m sure Lieven and the development team have much more important things to focus on than reconciling a username conflict. (Thanks for your help @LievenDV)

Tom_B

1 Like