Help - 2 chords in a bar & strumming Old Faithful alone or with the Songs App (moderator combined topic)

You should be able to change chords at any time in the bar.

Grade 3 is a big step up from grade 2, if you’re struggling with changing chords I’d suggest learning more songs rather than doing the grade 3 lessons.

5 Likes

I think I missled you with the Elvis Presley song on the attached image. In the app it actually has 4 down strumms for a pattern and I know that. I also don’t have real problem with this song - the image was just an example because I have many songs with more complex strumming patterns and chords that changes in a bar. So sorry for the poor example.

But the answers were good and I appriciate all of them. Now I understand how it should be done, what I should be able to do… and let’s go do some more practice :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

1 Like

QUESTION

I have no problem switching chords in 4/4 time if a change comes in on the 1st and 3rd beat:

1+2+3+4
D. G

the G is supposed to be on the 3rd down not the second.

As long as it a basic all down pattern I am good, but if it’s old faithful or another pattern with ups in the pattern I am unable to figure out how to split the strum and change chords in the middle of it. I hope this makes sense lol :joy:. Thanks in advance for your help and input.

1 Like

Do exactly as you would do for 4 down strums. In your example land the G on beat 3 but do not hit the strings until the up strum. Practice this very slowly to get used to it. Like saying the beats or strums out loud you could try saying

Down – Down Up Change Up Down –
D xxxxxxxxxxxxxxG(miss) xxxxxxxxxx

Do it slow, do it right, speed it up.

:sunglasses:

6 Likes

Public service announcement: to get the spacing right on something like this, use the verbatim tag

1+2+3+4+
D   G

Click on </> to get the verbatim (preformatted text) tag.

4 Likes

Good advice already from @TheMadman_tobyjenner . Another option would be to switch to a pattern that includes a strum on beat 3, like, e.g.

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +
D   D U D   D U

It should make the chord change in mid-bar easier.

2 Likes

Old Faithful is massively useful and can be applied to thousands of songs.

But it is not a catch-all.

When you have a chord change on the beat of 3 do not use Old Faithful.

Old Faithful is built around the missed 3rd beat.
It is a redundant pattern for any progression where changing chord on the 3rd beat is an intrinsic part of the song.

11 Likes

Richard explains it better than I ever could of course, but what I figured out myself in my playing was you stop the song and focus on that 1 bar for however many measures. A good example of this is you are always on my mind. There are 3 chord changes per one bar in certain parts, so stopping the song, just going over in which beat the chord changes and which strum you are doing per that beat and then practicing that slowly until you have it down and then you can speed it back up and keep going. break down the one bar and strum slowly down or up and change accordingly.

1 Like

Was just curious as I have a whole playlist on the app of songs I’m practicing. I have my custom playlists based on modules, strumming patterns, fun songs, multi chord changes etc. In my DDUUD playlists several songs have the chord switching on the 1 and 3. As a natural consequence of not being able to switch using that pattern I just didn’t do the switch or switched to all downs on that bar. Is that what you are suggesting or should I just use a different pattern for the whole song?

Yes … mostly.
Or a different pattern for the song.
Depending on how often the chords change on the 3.

For example.

Bad Moon Rising.

I teach it with

| A |
played using Old Faithful followed by
| E D |
played using 4 Downs

2 Likes

OOO That’s helpful! That’s one of my grade 1 songs. Thanks.

1 Like

It may be but is still used. One of Justin’s books has OF used for “A Girl Like You” , with the change from Dm to Em at the 3rd beat. He suggests playing down-down on the first chord and up-up-down on the second. Tricky to start with but not too bad.

That is not quite the same Stuart because the second chord in the bar is ‘pushed’. It happens on the &, the Up strum, that follows the count of 2. It does not happen on the & after 3. The Downs and Ups match Old Faithful but the chord change is offset, brought forward.

|   D   _   D   U   _   U   D   _   |

|   1   _   2   &   _   &   4   _   |

|   Dm  _   2   Em  _   &   4   _   |
4 Likes

Of course you are right, just never thought of it being pushed!! It actually comes quite easily with a bit of practice.

1 Like

So this begs the question as to why so many songs in the app have OF strumming pattern with chord changes on beat 3? I guess that should be feedback passed along because it is confusing for us newer players. Maybe a new video or something addressing how to hande these situations.

Would you suggest something like D DU DU D as a sub so you dont lose the ups and still get a strong beat 3?

1 Like

Good question @Williampowell77 … when the opportunity presents I will ask Justin.

Note - I have searched and found multiple topics asking a similar question so have merged them to this one topic. If there are any other topics on this issue I have missed my apologies, I did a fairly comprehensive but not infallible search.

I have written
QUESTION
at the top of every post that was an original topic starter.

By coincidence, I was viewing one of Justin’s song lessons yesterday in which he explicitly, but briefly, makes it clear to switch away from Old Faithful when two chords per bar comes along in the song.

2 Likes

I’m into the guitar journey about one year now and many topics that completely confused me at the outset are now much better understood. This strumming issue was definitely one of them when I began following the program. I was one of the people that asked for help and you suggested that I write to an Administrator raising this concern which I did right away. Never heard back and many people seem to be struggling still with this same question.

Since the program lends itself to many beginners, this issue is not a trivial one. Recommendations are made almost daily to learn songs. Well, songs include left hand (chords) and right hand (strumming). The songs in the app show the chords as well as the strumming patterns. If the strumming patterns are wrong, they should be deleted or provided with additional guidance for the novice. I think enough time has gone by such that this could have been addressed. Having students search out additional lessons for each song or just listen to a recording may just add to someone’s confusion.

1 Like

Well I can’t speak for others.

But for me it is really about a matter of practice slowly and perfectly because practicing perfectly makes permanent! This should be imbedded in your mind!

Once you know old faithful without thinking of it, missing a beat is nothing in the end. May not sound exactly as the record. But as a beginner we stick with beginner things. (Now, I rarely use Old Faithful to be honest now, but that was after much practice in my end and i stayed away from mid changes) In my mind that was still beyond my skilset. If you can’t switch it up. You may not be ready to bump it to strumming patterns and keep with all downstrokes on the beat. Or go with 1/8 notes and then you can hit all the beats and is excellent rhythm practice.

Often the pattern doesn’t much up “exactly” as the song, Justin mentions numerous times that it is a “suggested” keep it simple at first til you get the rhyrhm and feel down a bit. Will still work but not the same feel. Alot of this comes with practice. Start simple, then add all the extras as you get more aquinted to strumming patterns. Remember, Rhythm is King! This has alot to do with your on the beat rhythm. As @Richard_close2u has mentioned Old Faithful doesn’t jive for all but is used alot.

Perhaps you missed this Grade 1 Module 3 course.

That would help a lot of peoples scenario knowing a few of these by heart.

My thoughts and hope this helps a bit with your journey!

Rock on!
Darren