Hi, I'm Ronan from Wisconsin, US

Hey everybody, my name is Ronan. I’m entirely new to guitar, but learning how to play has been a dream of mine for some time. All of my friends are musicians, and while I sing, I’d like to be able to do more! At 20 I feel like I’m starting a bit late, but the community here seems like a good motivator to stay committed!

11 Likes

20 isnt late! haha

Have fun, its not easy tbh and requires a lot of time and effort but well worth it.

If you can sing already then that will help you I am sure

I have a good natural voice but it’s pretty raw, I’d like to take lessons for that too, but I don’t want to do too much at once lol.

Afik Justin has some lessons on singing (with guitar), I’ve not looked because my voice would literally cause suicides.

Any musical stuff re-enforces other musical stuff though, to play guitar you have to develop an ear for notes and that will help your vocals I assume

Welcome to the forum Ronon. You’re still a pup at 20. Some here have started in there 60’s and 70’s and done very well.

I’m 45 and just picked up the guitar. You’ll be great if you stick with it, Ronan! Where are you in Wisconsin? I’m in Madison.

Edit: forgot how old I am :laughing:

I’m so glad you are chasing that dream at such a young age. I had the same dream for much of my life and didn’t start to chase it till much later. Being able now to pick up a guitar and belt out a tune or two or three any time is such a great reward. Go you good thing!!!

I’m from Richland Center!

1 Like

Hi Ronan
Welcome to the forum :smiling_face:
20 is only a bit late to start if your dream was to be a child prodigy :grin:
otherwise now is always the perfect time :wink: :sunflower:

3 Likes

Its certainly better than not starting now.

1 Like

Hi Ronan,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

Starting late at 20?! :laughing: Honestly it’s never too late, but really 20 is a fantastic age! I remember hearing that one’s learning capacity reaches its peak around 25- it was really a bummer to “learn” that around 30! :rofl: Just a quick Google now shows me that some people put it at 30 and elsewhere, but at any rate you’re at a prime age for learning! And even now in my 50’s, though I’m certainly less sharp than I once was, I’ve developed more in the past 2 years than I did in the prior 20- more dedication, better resources, etc. But man, you’ve found a great resource in JustinGuitar for sure! Best wishes to you, my young friend- the world is yet your oyster!

1 Like

Welcome to the community Ronan!

Welcome onboard Ronan !

:sunglasses:

Welcome aboard, Ronan! :smiley:

Hi Ronan, welcome to the community forum. I agree with @Avalon426. You only too old if your dream was to be a child prodigy. I saw online that jazz great Wes Montgomery started 6 string guitar at the age of 20. Tom Scholz of Boston started learning guitar at the age of 21, although he did have piano lessons as a child. Before you finish grade 1, in less than a year, you should be able to accompany yourself singing. When you finish grade 2, you will have the skills to join in with your musician friends for an open mike or a casual jam. Have fun.

Welcome to the community @r0nan !

Hello Ronan & Welcome!!!

It’s never too late to learn a new skill & 20 is definitely NOT too late!!!

Good luck with your guitar journey!

Tod from New Mexico

Hi Ronan and welcome to the community!

20 is definitely not too late to start! I was 39 when I started and many here started much later than I did. You’ll do great!

That’s amazing that you have a lot of musician friends! Having people around you to jam with or just to bounce things off of when you feel stuck is such a wonderful resource to take advantage of :wink:

Enjoy your guitar journey :guitar:

Hi ronan.
Welcome to JustinGuitar and this fantastic community. Please take your time to look around and get to know the wider space.
https://community.justinguitar.com/categories

We are a supportive and encouraging group of students and guitarists from across the world. Essentially, we are all here for music and to improve as players. We truly are a ‘community’. Members help and support one another and a friendly, positive attitude underpins this. We hope that all - young or old, experienced or new players - adopt and foster the pay-it-forward ethos that Justin personifies and embedded all those years ago when he started the website and forum.

Also, please make sure to read the community etiquette announcement for some important information and guidance.

Richard
:grinning: