How do I find songs with the F barre chord?

Stuart have you tried searching using the main website search bar with “f chord” and then select view all songs from the search result rather than using the song page to search for songs. I think you can also apply a filter by difficulty too. https://www.justinguitar.com/advanced_search?q=F%20chord

1 Like

Stuart @Stuartw

If you are looking for something Christmasy, have a look at Mary’s Boy Child - Oh my Lord by Boney-M. There is a version on UG with a key change part of the way through and you get whole lines of lyrics with the F chord.

Unfortunately not a song Justin has done as far I know.

Michael

1 Like

As far as I can tell, House of the Rising Sun uses the mini F chord throughout the arpeggiated verses - I think they only use the Fmaj7 when they are strumming, but I’m not 100% sure.

Save Tonight by Eagle Eye Cherry has an F chord.

The Passenger by Iggy Pop has an F chord and the other chords can be played open, although they are played using barre chords on the record.

Also, F barre chord can be moved around, e.g. 3rd fret it is a G barre chord, so if you just want to practice the shape, you can try playing a G barre chord in place of any open G in any song you already know.

2 Likes

I’ve been having a look at this one but confused as to the second chord of the verses. I have seen this as Em/B (which sounds good), a C/B (which doesn’t sound so good) or a straight Em. Not seen a version of this with Em7.

I guess that at the end of the day it’s what sounds good but can’t work out what the official version is.

Is there a particular reason you want songs with the F barre chord? It’s harder to play than the other E-shaped ones. The height of the nut means you have to apply more pressure on the barre and the frets are spaced the widest here.
Why not practice barre chords farther up the neck like G, A, B and when you’re comfortable with those, you should find it much easier to do the F naturally?
I know it doesn’t help the ‘filtering’ problem, but you won’t have to filter once you are able to play the barres.
Just a suggestion.

Yes. Playing songs with F barre helps with practice changing between chords. It forces me to get then right and quicker.

I’m OK with barre chords (E and A shape) and can play up & down the neck. It’s the changing between chords that is the issue at the moment!

Em / B is your regular Em chord but for the bass note you play the note B on the 5th string.

C/B is typically played as a transition between C and another chord -often Am.
Play C.
Lift 3rd finger. Move 2nd finger to 2nd fret of the 5th string.

One way to confirm a chord progression is to watch live performances. Check this out:

Starting at around 0:45, you can see clearly the chords he is playing for the verse. To me it looks like C, C/B, Am, G. Note the descending bass line going right down the C major scale: C, B, A, G. No F chord in the verse, btw, but it does come up later in the song. (Pirner plays a mini-F, though, no barre :smile:)

Btw, this video is excellent for sussing out the chords to the whole song.

1 Like

Hi Stuart @Stuartw ,

sorry, I guess it was a typo. The version I played has an Em/B. Don’t know, why I typed Em7 :wink:.

No problem. I actually prefer the Em/B chord as it sounds good compared to the original.

Thanks for the link. I had found a few others but not this one.

This one sounds good, and a lot better (to my ears) to C/B.