How Great Thou Art

This is great - you really made this sound very full and rich

1 Like

@Twin_Six @MiJoy @sundog90

Thank you!

That was wonderful Jason. Beautifully sung and played. Production was great as well. Loads of emotion coming through on this one.

1 Like

Thank you, Stefan!

Hi Jason
Really nicely worked out version and great vocal
I could swear I can hear thereā€™s some kind of keyboard sound there in the arrangement too - must be the ā€œchoir invisibleā€ playing along :grinning:
The sacred/ secular use of guitar and lyrics in songs is an interesting seam to mine. Iā€™ve found it fascinating looking at the history of rural and urban blues in the USA intertwining with church and gospel and country music.
A good way to go further with your How Great Thou Art version might be to take some nuggets from @Richard_close2u current lesson on chord borrowing and substitution and see if thereā€™s anything in there that resonates for you to really make it your own
Iā€™m mentioning that last bit because Iā€™d been looking at an old hymn with an interesting history - Here is Love Vast As The Ocean - regarding the evolution of the lyric being used with different English, Welsh and American tunes over the years.
Then I made my own discovery that the usual tune used in the UK these days for that hymn, formerly used for the American hymn ā€œJesus Onlyā€ works very well with the backbone of the chords for Who Knows Where the Time Goes by Sandy Denny, giving me some ā€œreadymadeā€ chord borrowings
Happy Strumming!
Cheers
Ruaridh

1 Like

Thank you!

Hah! Definitely no keyboard sounds on this. I think what youā€™re hearing are overtones from the guitars combined with the stereo reverb setup. Both these guitars are pretty nice instruments that produce beautiful overtones. (You can really hear the Martinā€™s overtones on this recording, which is just solo guitar and nothing else.) I also have the two guitars capoā€™d differently: the strummed Martin is capoā€™d on III, and the fingerstyle Yairi is capoā€™d on I. So even when theyā€™re playing the same chords theyā€™re using different voicings and have different timbres that blend together in the recording. The strummed guitar (the Martin) is also doubled and sent L and R, and the Martin-L track gets sent to a room-style reverb that is panned Right, and the Martin-R track gets sent to a room-style reverb that is panned Left. The master track applies a big hall reverb to everything.

Yes, I think it would be fun to play with the arrangement and the harmonies.

Cool; Iā€™d love to hear your take on it.

1 Like

Iā€™ve certainly got lots to learn re recording - everything Iā€™ve ever done has been single take on my iPad Proā€™s onboard mic !:joy::joy:

Nothing wrong with that (i.e., recording a take with an iPad or phone). Getting into recording with a DAW (and using multiple tracks/instruments) is fun and satisfying, though. And you can still do single take stuff with the DAW, if you want to. I like doing that, sometimes; it gives a very ā€œliveā€ feel.

You should see the size of my ā€˜store gutā€™. Iā€™m gonna have to avoid the confectionary aisles in the supermarket :laughing: