How To Hold Your Guitar

Good move! I love the smaller guitars. Dreads feel uncomfortable and I think they sound muddy. I started with an “OM” and now have an “00” size with my classical being somewhere in between.

Parlors are also called “0” size, although the actual dimensions of all these nomenclature are varied.

I have fallen I love with a unique parlor guitar. Trying hard not to buy it.

Parlors and 00s also often have slotted headstocks, which I like, wider nuts, which I like, and 12 fret to the body, which I like. See a trend here?

I also have dang annoying lousy shoulders. Small guitars in classical position work well for me so far, although I can tell that the longer I do this, those peculiarities I have developed are less important.

2 Likes

I love that you suggested this. I’m going to try it out first thing tomorrow. I have a dreadnought that is far and away too big for me, and I cannot get it to stay positioned where the neck is tilted upwards, even with a strap. It wants to sit parallel to the ground, no ifs, ands, or buts. I’m very curious to see if your little truck works for me.

2 Likes

Received my Fender parlor a week ago and I love it. I am still experimenting with how to hold it while sitting, and, while holding it on my right leg feels okay, I feel I have better control over the guitar in classical position (left leg), using a footstool. I notice I can more readily access (and see) the fretboard this way. I also like to practice playing standing up as well. Going with the little parlor was the right choice for me!

4 Likes

I’m glad it worked out for you.

1 Like

I think you made a good choice. You can’t enjoy playing guitar if you aren’t comfortable.
I started to buy a good dreadnaught sized guitar but was never comfortable since I have short arms. I traded it in for a smaller 000 acoustic and was much happier which my purchase

1 Like

Hi Richard, I tried to comment on Justin’s how to hold video but it wouldn’t let me. You mentioned this thread there so I thought I’d try here.

Im a newbie on grade 1 and been working on a good relaxed position for my guitar. I tried classical with a foot stool for a bit but I find my legs/feet relax better with my feet on the ground. I bought a lower stool. However I’ve been thinking (maybe overthinking) about the angle of my thighs. They slant down a bit and it seems that 90° or slightly up is better. I can do this but then I’m back to my footstool. Before I look for a lower stool, I’m wondering if you think leg position is critical for playing and staying relaxed.

1 Like

It does depend on how you hold the guitar and whether it slides down the thigh.

I play in the classical position with either classical or steel string guitars (even electric if I pick one up again). I use a lift, rather than a foot stool and definitely have to have my thighs parallel to the floor. That requires very short seat with my short legs.

1 Like

Hi jim,

Go ahead and overthink it early on. Posture is a pretty important part of playing.

I personally need my thighs to be parallel and prefer knees slightly above my hip or the guitar slides down. I elevate the leg that is holding the guitar body. I have a foot rest that is about 5-3/4 inches that the elevated foot rests on and set my chair so my lowered thigh is pretty close to parallel with the floor. In classical position I elevate my left leg, in traditional position, it is my right (for playing right-handed). For reference, I am 6’3", and you may need to locate the right elevation for you.

1 Like

Hi Jim!
Have you tried a strap, even when sitting? If I’m on a chair or stool that doesn’t allow me to have my thighs more or less parallel to the floor, I use a strap to keep the guitar stable. I prefer “strapless” but it’s better than the guitar sliding down my leg…
Good luck!

Tod

1 Like

I thought about trying a lift but haven’t yet. My legs must be shorter than I think! I bought a low stool but it’s just not low enough. I may have to try a different one as I don’t like my foot on a foot stand. It’s partly why I’ve been trying the guitar on my right left but I’m back to using the foot stand tho lower than when I was playing classical.

1 Like

I’m finding that my guitar slides too and just figured i needed my knee up past 90°. I was surprised Justin didn’t talk about legs when he discussed holding the guitar. I’m gonna look for a lower stool so I don’t have to use a foot stand. Thanks for your input.

1 Like

Thanks Tod. I just ordered a strap after reading the comments on Justin’s holding a guitar video. So is the basic idea that the strap holds the guitar where you want it and the guitar no longer sits on your leg?

1 Like

I use a strap when I’m sitting down as well. The guitar will probably rest gently on your leg, but the strap keeps the neck from tipping. It’s just another anchor point. Good luck!

1 Like

Are you playing a classical guitar and want to play in the classical position? Does your guitar have strap buttons? My classicals don’t and they aren’t common on classical guitars.

I never found a strap comfortable, especially in the highly angled position typical of classical style. That is why I went to the lift. I even have a lift for my electric (which I haven’t used in ages).

With short legs it was hard to find a seat low enough. My inseam is maybe 27”, so I need a seat at about 15-16” height. You need to search for those.

I have been using a SageWork lift which is great, but now I am trying to sell it to move to a Woodside lift. I like that style better.

1 Like

Thanks Eric. I’m looking forward to trying the strap and adding some stability!

2 Likes

I’m playing a Taylor acoustic so the strap should be no problem. I’m gonna try rock position instead of classical for now. Time will tell if I try classical position again. Just trying to find comfort where it’s “easier” to get my body to relax — far more challenging than I ever would have expected.

1 Like

Interestingly, I went with the classical position for my shoulders and neck. Then I started classical guitar. I really could not stand or accommodate the “cowboy” position over the right leg. It really felt like a struggle.

But… as I have been playing longer (3 years now) I find it is easier and easier to play in ways I never liked before. Now, if I don’t have my lift, I can still play. I think I am just getting more and more comfortable as a player, these things are less important.

1 Like

Soooo looking forward to that point Joshua! I’ll let you know how the “cowboy” position works out. I was finding that I was always tense so I’m taking a step back and thinking about posture, guitar position, and staying relaxed.

1 Like

As a couple of responses above indicate… it adds stability and I find that I am less tense knowing that the guitar isn’t going to fall. I can hold it less firmly which makes me feel more relaxed while playing… which means I’m not as tired at the end of the practice session.
When I’m sitting back & relaxing on a couch, my posture is terrible but again I don’t have to worry about dropping anything so I get that same feeling… but I find that my back & shoulders are sore afterwards!

Try the strap & let us know if it helps!

Tod

1 Like

Looking forward to trying my strap for sure. Gotta get better at not tensing up when I play.

1 Like