How To Hold Your Guitar

Good ideas, thank you!

1 Like

Hi Richard, Iā€™m learning to play both acoustic and electric but the problem Iā€™m describing is mostly with acoustic. The problem is the worst with dreads so I sold the dread and am now learning on a 000 acoustic, still having the problem but its less pronounced with the 000 as compared to the dread due to the shallower depth of the 000. For a visual, think of a straight line (guitar) tangent to a semi-circle.

1 Like

Thatā€™s an excellent bit of advice and I understand what you mean. Iā€™ll definitely keep that in mind to avoid that issue.

1 Like

Okay so Iā€™ve actually already completed grade one but Iā€™m coming back to this as it isnā€™t getting any better

here are my 2 problems in regard to holding the guitar

1. when my right arm rests on the guitar as Justin demonstrated (thereby supporting the guitar ) my hand is reaching the actual neck where picking should be done much lower. unless I weirdly swirl my wrist (I donā€™t have particularly long hands)
    what am I doing wrong?

2. the guitar neck is shifting outward to about a 35-degree angle away from my body.
    is that normal, or what could be done to have closer alignments with my body.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, i have the same problems and donā€™t know the reason. Iā€™m just explore some 3D & 360Ā° hand view tutorial videos in youtube to understand better. That videos help me a lotā€¦ If you want video suggestion or link let me know, I will be happy to help you <3

2 Likes

Josef, That position is completely normal, in my opinion. Look at the video on the Website for this lesson. Notice that Justinā€™s left shoulder is further back and his left arm projects out from his body. Justinā€™s body is rotated about 35 degrees counterclockwise, but he faces the camera and holds the guitar to face the camera. Look at about 2:20 on the website video and you can see the angle of the neck of the guitar away from his body. It would be nice to see a split screen early in the video showing forward and side views to show this position of the guitar.

1 Like

Hey. I have wrist pain when i play. How do you guys fix that? Any tips?

1 Like

post a picture of your typical position that generates the pain will help a lot. There is too much going on to just guess - youā€™d wind up with too many suggestions that wouldnā€™t fix it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

^^^This.

Also,ā€¦

Which part of your wrist hurts? Back or front? Pinky side or thumb side?

Fretting hand or picking hand?

1 Like

Yesā€¦ it takes time to get used to all of this stuff. I just realized that I have been gripping the neck of my guitar way too hard, trying to prevent it from falling. Now I am comfortable enough to just let it be, and I improved with my chord switches. I see that the guitar is not going to fallā€¦ beginner painsā€¦ LOL!

1 Like

The first time I watched this video, I tried so hard to get comfortable positioning my guitar on my right knee, but ended up with intense pain and a knot in the back of my right shoulder blade. I am a middle-aged, petite woman trying to learn on a hand-me-down acoustic Dreadnought style guitar, and the sheer depth of the right side of the body of the guitar forced my right arm in a jutting, uncomfortable position to the point where I was getting muscle spasms in my lower trapezius. What helped me was to research the classical position. I started holding the guitar on a curved pillow form resting on my left knee instead, which also put my right arm in a much better position. Standing up to play using a strap also helps immensely. Donā€™t know if others have had this issue, but itā€™s what helped me. Hope it wonā€™t be a hindrance as I progress.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to the Community. I feel that a dreadnought might be too big for you. By all means keep striving for a more comfortable playing position, but if I were you I would visit a guitar shop and try some smaller models. Iā€™d hate for you to lose motivation because you tried learning on an unsuitable guitar.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t seen anyone mention it here, so as a complete beginner with a big, slippery acoustic guitar, I just want to say that what Iā€™ve done is put some non-slip stuff on my leg to sit my guitar on. Even with a strap it was sliding around, and after googling expensive things to stick onto it, I remembered we had some of that stuff you get on a roll at the hardware store cut and sitting in a drawer. I sat that on my leg and can now balance the guitar nicely with my arm and donā€™t have to worry about slippage. Just in case this helps anyone.

2 Likes

2 words --Bean Bag. I have a very slippery LP and found a small bean bag on my thigh works a treat.
Facecloth works almost as well.

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback and advice. I gave the Dread a few more chances, but alas, the shoulder pain keeps coming back no matter how I hold it. I also feel like I am spending more time wrestling with it to try to get comfortable than learning to play it. For these reasons, today I decided to order a Fender CPS-60s parlor guitar. I figure if I can handle a guitar that small, and actually use it, perhaps I will get something larger or of higher value later. I know that physically trying out a guitar would probably have been better, but I live in a rural area that doesnā€™t afford me that opportunity, so I just ordered directly from Fender. Hoping it will work out.

3 Likes

Congrats on the new guitar Courtney. Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find the parlour a much better fit than the dread. Let us know how you go.

2 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m a pretty big guy, and sometimes I wish I had gotten something smaller than my Taylor Grand Auditorium when I got an acoustic. A while back I tried a PRS parlor-size at my local shop and loved the feel of it.

1 Like

Good move! I love the smaller guitars. Dreads feel uncomfortable and I think they sound muddy. I started with an ā€œOMā€ and now have an ā€œ00ā€ size with my classical being somewhere in between.

Parlors are also called ā€œ0ā€ size, although the actual dimensions of all these nomenclature are varied.

I have fallen I love with a unique parlor guitar. Trying hard not to buy it.

Parlors and 00s also often have slotted headstocks, which I like, wider nuts, which I like, and 12 fret to the body, which I like. See a trend here?

I also have dang annoying lousy shoulders. Small guitars in classical position work well for me so far, although I can tell that the longer I do this, those peculiarities I have developed are less important.

2 Likes

I love that you suggested this. Iā€™m going to try it out first thing tomorrow. I have a dreadnought that is far and away too big for me, and I cannot get it to stay positioned where the neck is tilted upwards, even with a strap. It wants to sit parallel to the ground, no ifs, ands, or buts. Iā€™m very curious to see if your little truck works for me.

2 Likes

Received my Fender parlor a week ago and I love it. I am still experimenting with how to hold it while sitting, and, while holding it on my right leg feels okay, I feel I have better control over the guitar in classical position (left leg), using a footstool. I notice I can more readily access (and see) the fretboard this way. I also like to practice playing standing up as well. Going with the little parlor was the right choice for me!

4 Likes